British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Cardiff 2019 Saturday September 21st

Forgive my ignorance, I've only recently started watching speedway. Watched highlights of the GP and wondered why Woffinden was excluded in his early heat. To me blame couldn't be apportioned to him or Lindgren, it was sheer bad luck, so why can't it be all 4 restarting?

3 minutes ago, Schwantz34 said:

To me blame couldn't be apportioned to him or Lindgren, it was sheer bad luck, so why can't it be all 4 restarting?

You will find a significantly large portion of this forum talking about that very point i.e. racing incidences. I don't say I agree with your analysis of this particular incident but regardless of blame, the rules state that if a race is stopped, the primary cause of the stoppage has to be disqualified. Beyond first bend incidents, someone has to be disqualified. The rules don't recognise racing incidents and allow all riders back in the rerun.

Discuss, in less than 4000 words.

2 hours ago, Schwantz34 said:

Forgive my ignorance, I've only recently started watching speedway. Watched highlights of the GP and wondered why Woffinden was excluded in his early heat. To me blame couldn't be apportioned to him or Lindgren, it was sheer bad luck, so why can't it be all 4 restarting?

The rules require that in the event of a stoppage that the primary cause of the stoppage is excluded from the rerun. Of course we're waiting for some ref to argue that there was no PRIMARY cause and let all four back in. 

The rule is intended to prevent endless restarts if a rider cannot keep on his bike. 

Am I the only one that thinks the meeting was really not that bad. It almost seems that the quality of the racing is worse (on this site) the lower the British riders finish. If Lambert or Thai won in Cardiff I have a feeling there wouldn't be as much negativity about the racing. And as far as the GP purists who don't want anyone getting into the GP by a wild card imagine this GP season without Emil or Madsen. I really thought that there was a lot of close racing and not a ton of passes but they were there. Picture a speedway race with Boris Johnson and Donald Trump with no air fence........let's lighten up over there!

22 minutes ago, New Yorker said:

Am I the only one that thinks the meeting was really not that bad. It almost seems that the quality of the racing is worse (on this site) the lower the British riders finish. If Lambert or Thai won in Cardiff I have a feeling there wouldn't be as much negativity about the racing. And as far as the GP purists who don't want anyone getting into the GP by a wild card imagine this GP season without Emil or Madsen. I really thought that there was a lot of close racing and not a ton of passes but they were there. Picture a speedway race with Boris Johnson and Donald Trump with no air fence........let's lighten up over there!

I'm on a tea break on night shift.  I'm tired but thoughts of Boris and Trumpy on a 500cc help pass the time. I would pay money to see that.:D

5 hours ago, Mark said:

I'm on a tea break on night shift.  I'm tired but thoughts of Boris and Trumpy on a 500cc help pass the time. I would pay money to see that.:D

Presumeably one would be wearing a white helmet colour and the other yellow?

21 hours ago, Fullmax said:

Let me just say what a fantastic weekend we've  just had in Cardiff. Its one of the  highlights of our Speedway calendar as indeed is Torun next weekend. 

Cardiff is the ideal host City for the event .  Its impressive Stadium right in the heart of the City ( not on an industrial estate miles from anywhere)  with ample seating for everybody that wishes to attend and a roof guaranteeing that the inclement British weather will never stop the meeting going ahead. A great atmosphere throughout the City for  the whole weekend with plenty of restaurants and pubs to cater for all tastes and pockets. Hotels , yes there far too expensive which we all know but its no different from anywhere else when a major event is being held. Supply and demand, Shop around and search on the internet and look for the best deals to suit your budget  . The racing this year wasn't great but i still thought it was an enjoyable meeting. Next year might be better. 

It may have been a disappointing meeting to a few sat at home watching but to the majority of those present a thoroughly enjoyable Speedway weekend. Tickets and hotels booked for next year , roll on 2020.

13 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

All totally irrelevant if what people go to speedway for - the racing - is utter garbage.

:D

Took in the GP this year with my 69-year old folks. One very much in the Fullmax camp, able to see the bigger picture, enjoyed the weekend and was good company. The other much like Rocket87, blinkers on, determinedly grumpy over the racing and no fun to be around. No prizes for guessing the gender of the parent who sat firmly in the grumpy camp.

Racing-wise, it was definitely at the poorer end of the scale as far as Cardiff GPs go. But it was still a cracking weekend - I'll be heading along again in 2020 and I know who I'd rather have as my travelling buddy.

• Like 1

I accept that many people, including even Mr Shovler,  have amended their view of Tia Woffinden from that of precious upstart to a much more dignified figure in recent times.
So disappointing then to witness him spitting whilst the Welsh national anthem was being played.
Why would you do that? Fairly disgusting and disrespectful I would have thought.

What was the race time of the final at the British GP please.

On 9/26/2019 at 3:56 PM, Rocket87 said:

All totally irrelevant if what people go to speedway for - the racing - is utter garbage.

utter Garbage? Wasnt the best but also wasnt dreadful. Plenty of overtaking for minor places, few good scraps for first. Wasnt a classic but Garbage is a bit over the top no?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RPNY said:

utter Garbage? Wasnt the best but also wasnt dreadful. Plenty of overtaking for minor places, few good scraps for first. Wasnt a classic but Garbage is a bit over the top no?

No

22 hours ago, Rocket87 said:

No

Thats right its god awful. Thats why it attracts by far the biggest attendance of any UK Speedway even year after year.