British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Blimey..speedway on BBC1!

7 hours ago, iainb said:

It's ok to reflect society but the BBC massively over represents minorites that suit them, one assumes because the organisation is lead by people of these minorites. It's almost impossible to turn on a BBC programme these days without having one minority or another's issue being rammed in your face. I'm not opposed at all to any minority at all having air time but it must be proportional to their population. The same goes for Speedway, just because men's football is the most popular sport in the country/world doesn't automatically mean that the women's version of the game should also be equal, the quality is no where near the same as the men's game you only have to look at the attendances and the match scores to see this

Dead right. The BBC are engaged in a frenzy of box ticking tosh. 

13 hours ago, iainb said:

It's ok to reflect society but the BBC massively over represents minorites that suit them, one assumes because the organisation is lead by people of these minorites. It's almost impossible to turn on a BBC programme these days without having one minority or another's issue being rammed in your face. I'm not opposed at all to any minority at all having air time but it must be proportional to their population. The same goes for Speedway, just because men's football is the most popular sport in the country/world doesn't automatically mean that the women's version of the game should also be equal, the quality is no where near the same as the men's game you only have to look at the attendances and the match scores to see this

Dear oh dear..

Give a man enough rope and...

Yes, it’s probably best you don’t watch SPOTY this year. You don’t want the global success of those ethnics being rammed down your throat.

Nor that woman Balding skilfully presenting it either. Gay as well. How dare they?! Yes, you don’t want any of them rubbing your nose in it do you?

ps. Women’s football and men’s football being treated equally? Are you for real?! Or have I been had by a Russian bot?

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

Since when did a sports broadcaster report on changes to speedway's national squad ?  

Arnie above mentioned paid attendances, and I referred to the comparison between the two. According to the Surrey CC website, entry to Surrey Women (not the Stars) who play in Division 1 of the County Championship is free. Accepting that all of the remainder are the same, my figures stand.

Taking FF's figures as accurate, Belle Vue alone drew bigger gates than the whole of the women's super league in 2017. At the play off final in 2016, Belle Vue attracted an attendance of about 3,500, and that's for one match at 5 times the cost.

Speaking of cost, the super league at Surrey is £5, half the price of the cheapest speedway. Clearly that is of the utmost importance in attracting spectators. 

Where professionalism of the sport is concerned, it would be hard to find one less professional than speedway, with its corruption, cheating, one upmanship and rule bending. In terms of the number of professional participants, however, I would guess that all riders at Championship or Premiership level are professional, at least during the season. That's 90 compared to 19.

Speedway itself has attracted no TV coverage, Tai Woffinden has. I certainly don't recall Poole's Premiership win being remarked on, nor Mildenhall's (almost) perfect season.But for Tai's third championship win, speedway would not have been mentioned at all and the fact it has is incidental to that.

So, in terms of paid attendance figures, professional competitors, entry charging teams (and I'd very much accept that speedway is, compared to almost all non motor sports, very much down on actual competitors for obvious reasons) is it still 3-1 ?

You’ve accused people of avoiding points, then you avoid points.

You struggle to produce any facts to back up your point, then when you do, they are shown to be misleading and not the full picture.

Now you are debating what you described as “nowhere near debatable”.

At least someone like Steve Shovlar has the sense to sidle off when he’s beaten. You are like the black knight in Monty Python!

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, falcace said:

Dear oh dear..

Yes, it’s probably best you don’t watch SPOTY this year. You don’t want the global success of those ethnics being rammed down your throat.

Nor that woman Balding skilfully presenting it either. Gay as well. How dare they?! Yes, you don’t want any of them rubbing your nose in it do you?

ps. Women’s football and men’s football being treated equally? Are you for real?! Or have I been had by a Russian bot?

You're a very silly person, don't dare to presume what I think

There is a story going round BBC offices that the SPOTY has now to go to someone who replies totally on human skills and doesn't reply on a bike, motorised or not,  a car, a horse, a boat or involves any form of mechanised help as it could be from a financially advantaged position.
If that is true it certainly would go back to the old original Olympic ethic of being fastest, jumping the furthest or highest or being the strongest.
Got to feel for the likes Geraint Thomas if this is true

On 10/15/2018 at 10:33 PM, falcace said:

Dear oh dear..

As if to prove my point the BBC have very helpfully put a "sports" story on the homepage of their website today (the day of the Speedway cup final) about a transgender Motorsport competitor Charlie Martin (no, me neither), nothing to do with success or popularity but a sports story purely about being transgender in Motorsport. Much like everyday on the BBC website where you can read about the latest transgender "news" item despite that community only being estimated at being 0.2% of this country's population.

Speedway needs a LGBTQ+ or female rider and the coverage will come from the BBC

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, iainb said:

As if to prove my point the BBC have very helpfully put a "sports" story on the homepage of their website today (the day of the Speedway cup final) about a transgender Motorsport competitor Charlie Martin (no, me neither), nothing to do with success or popularity but a sports story purely about being transgender in Motorsport. Much like everyday on the BBC website where you can read about the latest transgender "news" item despite that community only being estimated at being 0.2% of this country's population.

To be fair, that is newsworthy as a human interest story so I don't see the problem.

Incidentally, you say a female rider is needed for coverage, how much coverage did the BBC give Ana Currasco when she became the first ever female World Motorcycling champion? I didn't see much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

To be fair, that is newsworthy as a human interest story so I don't see the problem.

Incidentally, you say a female rider is needed for coverage, how much coverage did the BBC give Ana Currasco when she became the first ever female World Motorcycling champion? I didn't see much.

Well, it was their lead Motorsport story on the homepage, even with the USA GP this weekend.

I don't recognise the name Ana Currasco but I do remember seeing something on the  BBC website about a women winning some motorbike race... As I'm not interested in superbikes or MotoGP I didn't bother reading it

22 hours ago, iainb said:

Speedway Cup Final day?! I hadn’t realised! Wow! I’ll get the bunting out for that! The BBC are really missing one of the country’s sporting Crown Jewels today then! I’ll just hop over to the thread and read all about this hot, hot topic!......

Oh...actually it was just Steve Shovlar posting loads and a handful of other enthusiasts on this speedway forum...not including you I noticed either? Too busy obsessing about minorities and the BBC instead.

Like Grachan, I understand why this story is newsworthy. It’s unusual. There is a clue in the word “news”...take away the “s” and you might have it. Something new is always more interesting and NEWsworthy than the bog standard. Why do you think Tai Woffinden got good coverage on the BBC? It was newsworthy that a Brit had won his third title. If a Brit won it every year, it wouldn’t be newsworthy. At the other end of the scale and to take it back an era or two, why do you think someone like GB ski jumper Eddie Edwards or the Jamaican bobsleigh team got so much coverage? I once wrote a piece for the Scottish National newspapers on a female rider trying to make it for Edinburgh. Forget her name now. Got good coverage though. Do I have to explain why?

Edited by falcace

59 minutes ago, falcace said:

I once wrote a piece for the Scottish National newspapers on a female rider trying to make it for Edinburgh. Forget her name now. Got good coverage though. Do I have to explain why?

If can remember her name, then yes please big shot journalist

2 hours ago, falcace said:

I once wrote a piece for the Scottish National newspapers on a female rider trying to make it for Edinburgh. Forget her name now. Got good coverage though. Do I have to explain why?

Debbie Arneil perhaps? If so, that must be getting on for 30 years ago.

Think her Dad was one of the major sponsors, possibly of Les Collins, back in the day.

5 minutes ago, Thischarmingman said:

Debbie Arneil perhaps? If so, that must be getting on for 30 years ago.

Think her Dad was one of the major sponsors, possibly of Les Collins, back in the day.

No, it would have been 2000-2001 time. Armadale, she didn’t ride for long, but won a second half race. Can’t ruddy remember her name though!

Apparently there was an item on the local Yorkshire news that follows the national news at 6-30pm last night. I didn't watch it as I can't abide it's presenter Harry Gration!

Item related to Bradford based Sam Mcgurk coming second in the world championship. Not sure about category probably 125cc

Showed 12 year old Sam practising at Scunthorpe, plus interviews with him and his mother

Also gave a little information regarding the history of the sport with some footage from what I think was an England v Australia test match at Wembley before the war

In my opinion good coverage for Speedway. On the downside the item compared the current levels of spectator attendance with those of the “glory years”

Also it was done following heavy rain so Sam seemed to be riding on a dry path round an oval field within a moat

he made a good job of it though

• Like 2