Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

Just watched the documentary after the British GP called True Grit.   Have to say it was fantastic. Excellently compiled and told.  A must see for anyone. Made in black and white but I think it made it more compelling to watch. Well done the producers and to Garry Stead....True Grit lad.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Just watched the documentary after the British GP called True Grit.   Have to say it was fantastic. Excellently compiled and told.  A must see for anyone. Made in black and white but I think it made it more compelling to watch. Well done the producers and to Garry Stead....True Grit lad.

The BSPA should ask permission to use it and show it to every business they come into contact with to attract 'proper' sponsorship...

A  superb production...

10/10 for everyone who was in it, and who produced it...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The BSPA should ask permission to use it and show it to every business they come into contact with to attract 'proper' sponsorship...

A  superb production...

10/10 for everyone in it and who produced it...

I was thinking the very same thing.

Edit that into a 3-4 minute segment and that’s all the advertising the sport needs.

A truly incredible watch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched true grit, and was very surprised at its content and how it was put over - very good.

It seems somethings going on in British speedway that "we" don't knw about. I commented on this forum just before the meeting started that the BT presentation was better then other Cardiff GPs, and the whole meeting was well produced, it was good to be able to hear Phil Morris giving his directions etc.

Has a decision been made somewhere to start a revival of British speedway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched True Grit and a brilliant documentary made in the same kind of way as Close To The Edge which was based on the TT.

Like previous post this would be a great piece to show and advertise this sport and what a moving end with Garry Stead showing that when speedway is in your blood it never leaves.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great film

the problem is getting it out to the general public to help promote the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never sit down to watch a modern-day match... but this True Grit documentary will have my full attention when I come to watch it. My interest for speedway is still there, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richspeedway said:

Looks like it is on again tonight on BT Sport 1 at 21.15 if anyone missed it.

Thanks.  Its also handy if anybody set it to record but as the original broadcast was late and delayed, it meant that the recording missed half of it, something BT should look into as its often the case that you get only half of the programme you wanted mixed with half of a completely different programme that you didn't want - happens if a live broadcast over runs and the schedule runs a bit later than billed but the BT box still records only per the original timings, they need to modify their boxes so they adapt revisions to the schedule and actual broadcast times.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigBoaby said:

Thanks.  Its also handy if anybody set it to record but as the original broadcast was late and delayed, it meant that the recording missed half of it, something BT should look into as its often the case that you get only half of the programme you wanted mixed with half of a completely different programme that you didn't want - happens if a live broadcast over runs and the schedule runs a bit later than billed but the BT box still records only per the original timings, they need to modify their boxes so they adapt revisions to the schedule and actual broadcast times.

If you have BT sport you should be able to access the BT site and watch it on your tablet/computer. I have just watched it on the BT website (I have it on Sky and not a BT tv subscriber) and it is a really good piece of work and congratulations to those who put it together. This really does put the sport into perspective and somehow needs to get out to a wider audience and perhaps be inspirational to those who want to try it like the twins in the film. Thought provoking and we can only salute those who have paid the ultimate price. A must see in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

If you have BT sport you should be able to access the BT site and watch it on your tablet/computer. I have just watched it on the BT website (I have it on Sky and not a BT tv subscriber) and it is a really good piece of work and congratulations to those who put it together. This really does put the sport into perspective and somehow needs to get out to a wider audience and perhaps be inspirational to those who want to try it like the twins in the film. Thought provoking and we can only salute those who have paid the ultimate price. A must see in my opinion.

Indeed and I did see the programme.  In the instance I highlighted, it isn't the watching, its the recording aspect, e.g. looking at it later when more convenient or say a number of months later.  With the BT box you can access via 'BT Player' SGB league matches for example up to something like 31st March of the following year, so 2018 matches still available via the BT Player page for several months and I believe its something to do with such as copyright and contract deals so there's a time limit of availability.  However, if you want to refer to it after that date the chances are it won't be available - true for league matches though not sure about this particular documentary type programme whereby copyright etc may well be different.  I did see the programme but as I say I wanted to record it and on the original broadcast it ran later than originally scheduled and the recording missed half of it so tried again with this repeat broadcast.  Haven't checked it yet to see if it got it complete this time.

I'm also aware of and have used my computer to access BT programmes although it can be a bit of a pain to hook it up to the TV, and the quality although ok isn't as good as through the BT box which in our case is the equivalent of the Humax UHD DTR-T4000/1TB box just re-badged with a BT badge on it and has plenty of storage for recordings.

Edited by BigBoaby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It failed to record it tonight even though it was definitely set to record.  Probably because it already had the half-recording so I should have probably deleted it before the re-broadcast so it would record the complete version.  Typical.  If anybody knows when its re-broadcast again I'll delete the half baked version so it records it this time intact.  I know I can temporarily access via the BT website or via the 'BT Player' but I want to record it.

BT definitely need to have a re-think about how their boxes are set up to record.  As things stand, its all centred around the EPG programme guide that schedules programmes for the next 7 days.  The problem is if there's a live programme on which over runs and the schedule then runs later than scheduled for subsequent programmes and it becomes all out of synchronisation, the BT box recording will stick to the original timings per the original schedule so you get half of the programme you wanted to record and half of another programme you didn't want to record.  So I've ended up with only half of the True Grit film recorded and it wouldn't record it again when it was re-broadcast.  Time for a re-think BT.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BigBoaby said:

  If anybody knows when its re-broadcast again I'll delete the half baked version so it records it this time intact.  I know I can temporarily access via the BT website or via the 'BT Player' but I want to record it.

 

Future re-broadcast dates and times given at the end of the D.Telegraoh article, - see post "Telegraph Article Today".


http://www.speedwaychampions.com/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary Stead....... Total and utter respect to the man....... What a truly wonderful, lovely guy.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed it but I was slightly disappointed, maybe due to high expectations. I thought it put over the sacrifices and the dangers the riders face perfectly. One thing the I did take away was that the sport is way more photogenic than the current production setup lets on. The go-pro headcam footage, the ace shot of Tai in the middle of the track as one of the Thomson's rides by him, the close ups in the bends. There is loads of stuff you could do to push the boat out.

With Motorsport becoming increasingly unfashionable it's really hard to attract new interest but between this, the Webber/Doyle interview segment and the video packages at the start I thought BT did a brilliant job of making the sport look big time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy