British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grand Central

What can be done when a referee is just TOO bad

I seem to recall a ref for an ovesrseas final at poole , appointend by the  fim , only ever done domestic speedway in italy , brought his whole extended family for a fotrnights holiday all paid for by the fim . .

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT practical ... would take ages to convene the jury, the time taken would be prohibitive. It is not like the referee doesn't have countless TV replays to help him. But his decision is final.

I don't see why it's not practical. The FIM jury are in Cardiff anyway (unless they've banned jollies), put them in a room with access to TV replays and a phone. Would take no longer than TMO in rugby or VAR in football.

10 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I don't see why it's not practical. The FIM jury are in Cardiff anyway (unless they've banned jollies), put them in a room with access to TV replays and a phone. Would take no longer than TMO in rugby or VAR in football.

THEY have various other duties during the course of a meeting and are rarely all in one place. 

11 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

But the referee's decision is still final.

I don`t want to see any decisions taken by committee as that would only confuse things still further IMO, best left to one referee on the night. Those who ask for a football VAR system for the referee, I think we already have that with all the tv replay assistance there is on the night. 

3 hours ago, adonis said:

2 refs 

What happens when the two refs disagree?

1 hour ago, MattK said:

What happens when the two refs disagree?

A third ref has the final say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Us (enforced) TV viewers were given regular long-lens views of the man in the box last night.
He looked a very lonely figure. In need of a friend or assistant.
A co-pilot at least to take over the controls once it was beyond him.

A serious note.
On the (fortunately) rare occasions when a Speedway fatality occurs the referee is called upon as signficant witness at the inquest.
On Saturday the referee judged that Robert Lambert was the cause of Jason Doyle crashing.
I have yet to hear anyone concur with that opinion. It is rare to have such a unanimous view against a decision.

But it would be his word that the Coroner would hear if the worst had happened, in that race or any other.

We should remember that having a competent referee is not just desirable for a good race meeting; it is an absolute necessity.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1