British Speedway Forum
Tabashir

Unsatisfactory starts

10 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Totally agree.....why does it matter about movement at the start?....why does it matter about getting a flier?.....so long as you don't touch the tapes.  The starts would be less predictable and therefore the racing more exiting. These silly starting rules are destroying good speedway. 

Most of the starting  rules are there to try and even things out and give  riders with inferior starting skills  a better chance  Chris Harris would almost never out gate Hancock   ,one is a gater the other is a passer and always will be .I think it is unfair for the likes of Hancock to have the Ref and Harris to compete against ,the last thing we need is robotic starts ,nothing better than seeing a rider cut back and take the lead through his own skill rather than upteen restarts or warnings to riders . 

Edited by FAST GATER

On 7/24/2018 at 8:28 PM, Tabashir said:

Yup, would be far less irritating if they just came back round. No 2 mins for a restart.

Why it is not a rule I cannot understand.

Think the ref should issue warning for riders that move back from tapes after the start Marshall moves the forward into position ,it happens frequently while the ref turn away to deal with the other riders,there should be procedure for lining them up bring them forward in gate order 1-4 and if they move back warn then for the rest of the meeting.If no rider touches the tapes do not stop the race.While the ref at Cardiff was shocking he did admit his mistake when he look at video replay,most meetings  don't have that option and the split second reaction often gets penalised for a perfect start.we had all witnessed perfectly good starts being brought too often.

Would it save a lot of hassle with broken tapes etc if riders were not allowed to touch the tapes at any time, including before coming under orders to avoid the number of times riders push through the tapes to prepare the surface beyond the line leading to broken tapes and delays? If it led to exclusion this element of potential delay could easily be stopped. That, plus immediate use of the two minute clock after an unsatisfactory start would stop most of the unnecessary delays.

I know some rider's and fan's laughed at it but 2nd start line I thought was a great inclusion. With the tires on that line it was so much easier for the start marshall to line rider's up and for the referee to spot the rider rolling forward or back. I don't get why this has been removed this year.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2018 at 12:00 AM, coventry1963 said:

Would it save a lot of hassle with broken tapes etc if riders were not allowed to touch the tapes at any time, including before coming under orders to avoid the number of times riders push through the tapes to prepare the surface beyond the line leading to broken tapes and delays? If it led to exclusion this element of potential delay could easily be stopped. That, plus immediate use of the two minute clock after an unsatisfactory start would stop most of the unnecessary delays.

It would save a lot of hassle if you actually didn't have the tapes any more. It's hardly beyond the bounds of technology to use a laser or transponders to detect whether riders have moved too early. 

And also no problems with the tapes going up unevenly either. Just go on the green light being turned off. 

Can see no point in issuing "warnings" for any reason. These serve only as an encouragement to riders to "try it on." A rider has either committed a foul or he hasn't - so if he has then he should be excluded with no reserve replacement and no handicap. Rigid application of the rules is the only way to ram this home.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2018 at 6:46 AM, FAST GATER said:

Most of the starting  rules are there to try and even things out and give  riders with inferior starting skills  a better chance 

It's the complete opposite. A good gater will benefit from stricter rules since he will do a good start anyway. Roll-starters will not benefit
from stricter rules because the will be called back if they roll. I don't understand why some don't understand how standing starts work
compared to rolling starts. Name any sport that currently uses a standing start that allows chance starts?
Not F1, not MotoGp, not WRC, not WRX, not swimming, no athletics. The start is about reaction on a start signal not about chancing.
I agree that inconsistency is a problem but like H.A. says above it can be solved by transponders. I personally would use them
together with the tapes not instead of.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 1:36 PM, Ghostwalker said:

It's the complete opposite. A good gater will benefit from stricter rules since he will do a good start anyway. Roll-starters will not benefit
from stricter rules because the will be called back if they roll. 

I'm not sure that's what @fastgater meant. He was talking about riders that are not good at gating so usually have to pass in the race, aka 'racers', Bomber being a notable example. I don't think he was talking about riders that are known for 'roll starts'. It would actually be likely to give 'racers' an advantage since their lack of gating skills would be more or less negated.

22 hours ago, Tabashir said:

I'm not sure that's what @fastgater meant. He was talking about riders that are not good at gating so usually have to pass in the race, aka 'racers', Bomber being a notable example. I don't think he was talking about riders that are known for 'roll starts'. It would actually be likely to give 'racers' an advantage since their lack of gating skills would be more or less negated.

Spot on that is exactly what i meant !

I would say exclude the rider if the tapes are touched, allow rollers/anticipating starts the rider would know the consequences and i think there would be less restarts which I think is far more irritating than a roller taking a punt.

I go week in week out because I am a lunatic, but I doubt newcomers find start/stop meets much fun.

That being said Greg Hancock would be a happy 15 time world champ now, that guy had more rollers than a decorator back in the day :)