British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ouch

Flying laps.

With gate & go being the norm at over half the Prem circuits and a pretty big part for the rest, is it time to embrace it and run flying laps as part of the meeting. Maybe run 10 1 lap, 10 two lap and 5 (nominated) four lap heats all adding to the score. 

We could also have match races where they start half a lap apart and points are scored by how close a rider catches up to the other. 

We’ve got to start thinking outside the box as your regular four lap race just doesn’t cut the mustard anymore imo. 

• Like 1

Kings Lynn were doing 'hot laps' at the start of the season

6 hours ago, ouch said:

With gate & go being the norm at over half the Prem circuits and a pretty big part for the rest, is it time to embrace it and run flying laps as part of the meeting. Maybe run 10 1 lap, 10 two lap and 5 (nominated) four lap heats all adding to the score. 

We could also have match races where they start half a lap apart and points are scored by how close a rider catches up to the other. 

We’ve got to start thinking outside the box as your regular four lap race just doesn’t cut the mustard anymore imo. 

...I seem to recall Oxford giving this a go when Steve Purchase was the promoter?

The CO held The Warwickshire Flying Mile races back in the 60s!

Yes, but I mean as part of the meeting where scores count. In most cases like the meetings last night the other three laps are pointless. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevehone said:

Quite enjoyed them too - as part of the 'warm up'

For two meetings! And then the idea was dropped, I was told because it interrupted Buster's last-minute track prep. No announcement made. Part of the KLS "keep the fans in the dark" policy.

15 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

For two meetings! And then the idea was dropped, I was told because it interrupted Buster's last-minute track prep. No announcement made. Part of the KLS "keep the fans in the dark" policy.

Agree they should make an announcement.

Those flying laps could make the track go slick and Buster would want to get the grip back.

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

That is, after all, what people go to Speedway to see... a man driving around in a tractor:D

• Thanks 1

Remember Poole running the 1 lap dash races after the main meeting in the late 80’s early 90’s. The rider at the back dropped out until only two were left for the final lap.

40 minutes ago, iainb said:

That is, after all, what people go to Speedway to see... a man driving around in a tractor:D

Even more interesting at KL is that the changes of machinery show us how they play very different roles ( with their attachments )  in the track prep. As well as the enormous amount of material shifted from the pile and packed down at the start. There is no shortage of interest for the supporter to enjoy in this respect.

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2018 at 12:03 AM, stevehone said:

whatever happened to them? Brundle came in with his whole new meeting schedule and i think it lasted two meetings tops. 

On 7/25/2018 at 7:33 AM, Richard Weston said:

Agree they should make an announcement.

Those flying laps could make the track go slick and Buster would want to get the grip back.

Why not do it after the meeting? I've said before, get the away team involved, the two highest scorers on the night could have a go and create a Top Gear style leader board.

• Like 2

I do remember Phil Morris doing this at Stralsund.trying to break an existing lap record.It is actually very very boring watching one rider going round on his ownsome.It is all down to time,and as that is down to some guy or gal with a stopwatch,not even accurate.....

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

I do remember Phil Morris doing this at Stralsund.trying to break an existing lap record.It is actually very very boring watching one rider going round on his ownsome.It is all down to time,and as that is down to some guy or gal with a stopwatch,not even accurate.....

Even most bog standard go-kart tracks have sensors now for recording lap times. They are cheap as chips to buy and install.