British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Odds On

Swindon should be deducted points.

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

But  they didn’t manage to get the meeting run till the end again!!!12 heats raced and you pay the full whack for the pleasure?Rip off speedway whatever way you look at it

That's the risk I take when I go to Kent. No curfew, no speedway at central park, it's as simple as that. Last night was the first time it has happened this season. A rider receiving medical treatment for a serious injury has to take priority over running three races.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

That's the risk I take when I go to Kent. No curfew, no speedway at central park, it's as simple as that. Last night was the first time it has happened this season. A rider receiving medical treatment for a serious injury has to take priority over running three races.

That is right.Your choice,but I would never attend a track where the likelihood is that I pay my money and not get my money’s worth.For me a rip off just as much as a badly prepared track

Gotta love speedway fans....instead of taking their tracks shame, played out on TV, they choose to have a pop at someone else's track.  

• Like 1

no dust at Kings Lynn last night, and it was hot and sunny there

22 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Gotta love speedway fans....instead of taking their tracks shame, played out on TV, they choose to have a pop at someone else's track.  

I think you will find that us Swindon fans have been slating the track and standard of racing long before last night. 

This thread is a load of rubbish and only a way of getting Poole into 4th place in the play offs 

34 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Adam Ellis has joined in the criticism now, and has also named other tracks - specifically Wolves and Somerset. This is not a one-track issue it seems.

So, if Swindon should be deducted points, should Wolves and Somerset also be deducted points?

Who decides when the track is bad enough to merit that?

• Like 2

Club Statement

THE following relates to Monday night v Leicester:

The management of Swindon Speedway recognise that track conditions for Monday’s meeting against Leicester were far from perfect.

A number of factors came together to create a perfect storm of problems.

We are working hard on the issues and expect to have them resolved by next Monday’s meeting against Wolverhampton.

34 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Adam Ellis has joined in the criticism now, and has also named other tracks - specifically Wolves and Somerset. This is not a one-track issue it seems.

So, if Swindon should be deducted points, should Wolves and Somerset also be deducted points?

Who decides when the track is bad enough to merit that?

When riders of both teams complain about it.

The present state is due to many factors but what seems really bad is when the track people seem to ignore the riders.

12 minutes ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Club Statement

The management of Swindon Speedway recognise that track conditions for Monday’s meeting against Leicester were far from perfect.

We are working hard on the issues and expect to have them resolved by next Monday’s meeting against Wolverhampton.

And what about the state of the rest of the place, the new stadium and whether they'll run next year?

• Like 2

I know the track was bad but back in the day riders had more throttle control tracks were rougher with lots more dirt on them  , i remember first time i went to berwick in1972 was like a ploughed field bikes bouncing everywhere  but they got on with it .riders today should  know throttle works both ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

Club Statement

The way it was dragging on last night, next Monday's match almost became the second part of a double-header.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Maybe it's time to move away from the shale tracks and try something else, for example what's used at show jumping or all weather horse tracks.

Has anything like this ever been trialled?

Yes at Newcastle. We opened Newcastle in 1997 and had a local Aluminium smelter, Alcan, on the coast at Newbiggin. We trialled 'furnace bottoms' on a path in Northumberland during the winter and it looked Ok to do the job. The new track and the fence were put in, and the track compacted like shale tracks. A difficulty was found on P % P day, when a hole appeared which caused Andre Compton to fall and he receive a spiral fracture on the leg bone. More work was carried out and during our first opening meeting, the track broke up badly and the riders were not happy, but with intervention from my 'friend' Ian Thomas he helped us to get thought the meeting with the riders agreeing to see the meeting out with a new inside line down to avoid the holes. The problem was that the furnace bottoms doesn't bind like shale. despite any amount of compaction. In fact compaction only toughened up the top surface, but it you spun the rear wheel it went through the toughened surface, and dropped into a new hole created by the spinning. During the following week this material was dug out and scattered around the car park and interior areas to get rid of it whilst the then closed Cleveland Park was opened up and all it's shale transported to Brough by lorries. This was compacted in layers, and meant we are fit enough to open up with our second meeting the following week with massive praise from all the riders at such good track. Later on in 1999, Newport had a similar problem with compaction of their 'oatmeal' looking shale, and Tim Stone had to stop riders warming their tyres  on the home straight.

The main issue with a material is compaction, and the materials ability to bind under pressure. Old engine oil from 'loss' engine systems, and some later on, helped this sticky problem, but that is now not allowed under the H % S environment rules. The test of any track is to squeeze a handful of shale to see it is sucks together, and hope that the pinky/red shale is dark during a meeting as a change to pink means it is now too dry and needs some water. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

The main issue with a material is compaction, and the materials ability to bind under pressure. Old engine oil from 'loss' engine systems, and some later on, helped this sticky problem, but that is now not allowed under the H % S environment rules. The test of any track is to squeeze a handful of shale to see it is sucks together, and hope that the pinky/red shale is dark during a meeting as a change to pink means it is now too dry and needs some water. 

A few years ago at i track I rode for we had some shale delivered that was rubbish and didn’t bind at all and made it’s terrible to ride so when we were prepping the track at 11pm the night before our next meeting the tractor accidentally knocked over the waste oil drum in the pits which rolled onto the track and continued to roll round the track untill it was completely empty,as much as we tried we just couldn’t stop it rolling  the next day it rained in the morning and the track was a nice shade of blue and yellow but was nice to ride if not a little sticky ;)

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

A few years ago at i track I rode for we had some shale delivered that was rubbish and didn’t bind at all and made it’s terrible to ride so when we were prepping the track at 11pm the night before our next meeting the tractor accidentally knocked over the waste oil drum in the pits which rolled onto the track and continued to roll round the track untill it was completely empty,as much as we tried we just couldn’t stop it rolling  the next day it rained in the morning and the track was a nice shade of blue and yellow but was nice to ride if not a little sticky ;)

I've known this accident happen many times after the ban was introduced, but the difficulty is that you had to have at least one receipt of having an oil drum taken away by the environment agency. Difficult to stop these sort of accidents.  :approve:

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2