British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Odds On

Swindon should be deducted points.

After the shambles of the Swindon and Leicester meeting last night, should Swindon be either fined or deducted points?

In cricket if you prepare a pizz poor wicket you are deducted points, surely after last nights debacle then some form of action needs to be taken against the home club.

Last night was a great chance to build on the success of the  British GP from Cardiff, the sport probably had new viewers tuning in to watch something similar to Saturday night, yet all they were dished up was a horrendous advert for British League speedway, the sport can either learn from this and take measurers to prevent the same mistakes or it can be swept under the carpet similar to other meetings, from every negative comes a positive and if this sport has any real future in this Country then have an enquiry, include owners, promoters,track men, riders, referee's, BT and learn from the mistakes and come up with a agreed plan so that going forward meetings like last night are minimalised at the very least...after all for this sport to thrive everyone needs to be working together.

I also don't get the outbursts by Batchelor and Morris, both have form for being outspoken, instead of wasting your energy and time on social media etc, why don't they try and be constructive and build a strong SRA, until the vast majority of the riders have a strong voice very little will change.

Last night was poor but its a good chance for British speedway to change things and for the better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Odds On said:

After the shambles of the Swindon and Leicester meeting last night, should Swindon be either fined or deducted points?

In cricket if you prepare a pizz poor wicket you are deducted points, surely after last nights debacle then some form of action needs to be taken against the home club.

Last night was a great chance to build on the success of the  British GP from Cardiff, the sport probably had new viewers tuning in to watch something similar to Saturday night, yet all they were dished up was a horrendous advert for British League speedway, the sport can either learn from this and take measurers to prevent the same mistakes or it can be swept under the carpet similar to other meetings, from every negative comes a positive and if this sport has any real future in this Country then have an enquiry, include owners, promoters,track men, riders, referee's, BT and learn from the mistakes and come up with a agreed plan so that going forward meetings like last night are minimalised at the very least...after all for this sport to thrive everyone needs to be working together.

I also don't get the outbursts by Batchelor and Morris, both have form for being outspoken, instead of wasting your energy and time on social media etc, why don't they try and be constructive and build a strong SRA, until the vast majority of the riders have a strong voice very little will change.

Last night was poor but its a good chance for British speedway to change things and for the better.

100% on all points...

Unfortunately as they all 'self police' they all know that taking any disciplinary action will set a precedent that each of them will inevitably suffer from in the future...

Hence the reasons we have some many 'vague rules' as they all then know they have a collective 'get out of jail free card' to be played when they want to do something alien to any proper Sports administration..

Lift up the carpet, brush (literally in this instance) the dust under it, replace the carpet, and then tip toe away...

Nothing to see here, move along please...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Odds On said:

Totally agree the sport has to act last night seriously made me think that speedway wont be at the Abbey  in 2019 i  pray that i am wrong.Even if it is there next year who will keep going to watch the dire entertainment dished up.

• Like 3

Yep, we should be deducted 10 points for such a rubbish track.

....... and added 20 points for keeping the same team all season, compared to Leicester and one or two others  :)

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Totally agree the sport has to act last night seriously made me think that speedway wont be at the Abbey  in 2019 i  pray that i am wrong.Even if it is there next year who will keep going to watch the dire entertainment dished up.

I got a funny feeling you may not be about 2019 hope I'm wrong 

We've all been there. Got tot he stadium with plenty of time, to see the track still having work done to it. The first race sees a faller, and riders ask for an inspection. A quarter of an hour later the referee nods the meeting will resume once grading has taken place. Tick follows tock, another lap watching the tractor, and then we're off to go. Still not right, the riders seem edgy once racing resumes. Longer intervals between heats as the tractor is worked. You start to yawn and glance at your watch. Over an hour gone and we've seen three races. Eventually, Heat 12, and as the curfew nears, an announcement that the match must end here and now, the result is allowed to stand. Speedway fans put up with it... but for so long. It's bad enough being on the terraces, but when the event is going out live on Tv to potential new supporters. Yes, Swindon should be punished.

• Like 1

I recall someone posting on this forum warning that this meeting won’t be a good advert for British speedway.

Modern bikes producing mountains of dust for spectators it’s not difficult to see why people chose to do something else.

Some very poor shale - affecting several clubs - plus the very hot weather make it a nightmare for most track curators.

At least it seems that a new supplier of decent shale has been sourced and TR has some on order.

• Like 2

This dust problem has been a problem at a lot of Swindon meetings this season   don't they have a water truck at the track.  They said last night that they had watered and graded the track only for the dust still to be same during the next race. 

7 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

This dust problem has been a problem at a lot of Swindon meetings this season   don't they have a water truck at the track.  They said last night that they had watered and graded the track only for the dust still to be same during the next race. 

It wasn't just the water, when Tatum looked at the track it was very poor. It made a nice change to see riders openly critical of the preparation, not much said from Rosco though, maybe he's been reading the writing on the wall?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GWC said:

I recall someone posting on this forum warning that this meeting won’t be a good advert for British speedway.

Modern bikes producing mountains of dust for spectators it’s not difficult to see why people chose to do something else.

That was me  

Did they listen ?? Sadly no.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Yes they do have a large water truck but used that to top up the small sprayer, if they had not done that there would have been no or very little water available due to the lack of water pressure in the area.  I get more water out of my tap at home than they sometimes get at the track.

The track looked more like a bigger version of Kent's, and with the same Len Silver preparation which is tarmac covered in a light dusting of shale, Dusting being the operative word.

I am sure all be resolved when they move into their new stadium.   Farewell meeting must be at the end of the season surely ?  The contractors and Russell cannot keep rolling out the same  lame old excuses for another season, can they >?

• Like 1

Maybe it's time to move away from the shale tracks and try something else, for example what's used at show jumping or all weather horse tracks.

Has anything like this ever been trialled?

Edited by Baldyman