British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

Great Britain v Australia - Glasgow, Saturday August 4 - 3pm

Apparently (don't shoot the messenger) lodznot even riding this weekend

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It is a hastily arranged meeting.Basically an unofficial challenge.Polish clubs pay the dough,so call the shots.It is a problem the Bundesliga have had for years

Absolutely right.

In the 'olden day's of 'real' test matches they were official FIM inscribed events with all the priorities and aggrandizement associated. 

This meeting is not of that status.

I notice that it does not even appear in the ISLB list of confirmed events updated on July 31st. So as far as the rest of World Speedway is concerned it does not really 'exist' in international terms.

It has an official status more akin to a Testimonial or similar representative challenge and a Polish contract that has designated practice sessions included really does have more priority.

Edited by Grand Central

54 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Apparently (don't shoot the messenger) lodznot even riding this weekend

Lodz v Gdansk on Sunday.

Edited by Mark

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:48 AM, Gambo said:

Ooops! My mistake for not including him along with C Holder. :oops:

Wasn't his last official British average something like 7.03.  In which, can GB have him as a reserve or supplementary reserve? :D

33 minutes ago, Mark said:

Lodz v Gdansk on Sunday.

Ah right. Fair enough. Thanks 

There has to be some form of "official staus" or Chris Holder couldn't come in on a Tier 5, could he? 

Strange how so many are trying to disparage the efforts of Team GB, MA and Glasgow to kick-start the oldest series of Test Matches in our sport, is it to do with the meeting being 300 miles north of the Watford Gap, d'ye think? 

Anyway, if the Aussies are to lose a rider, even if he is their current Champion, they do have time to whistle up a good replacement, l'm sure..... 

It is still going to be a brammer of a meeting! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

There has to be some form of "official staus" or Chris Holder couldn't come in on a Tier 5, could he? 

Strange how so many are trying to disparage the efforts of Team GB, MA and Glasgow to kick-start the oldest series of Test Matches in our sport, is it to do with the meeting being 300 miles north of the Watford Gap, d'ye think? 

Anyway, if the Aussies are to lose a rider, even if he is their current Champion, they do have time to whistle up a good replacement, l'm sure..... 

It is a pity there is not one in the Midlands and in the South as well.

2 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

It is a pity there is not one in the Midlands and in the South as well.

I think they have to be given a bit of time. They only took over mid-season so have done well IMO to get this far. What concerns me far more it the Poles attitude towards the sport. They seem to think they can dictate who rides where and when and it will take all national governing bodies to stick together and find a solution to them. So far we have one meeting were Polish rules/likes have necessitated 2 rider changes. 

Just now, Star Lady said:

I think they have to be given a bit of time. They only took over mid-season so have done well IMO to get this far. What concerns me far more it the Poles attitude towards the sport. They seem to think they can dictate who rides where and when and it will take all national governing bodies to stick together and find a solution to them. So far we have one meeting were Polish rules/likes have necessitated 2 rider changes. 

Agree, hopefully team Great Britain and Australia might manage that next year

Any scorecard available? Riding order, heat by heat programme?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Star Lady said:

When the rest pay the same as the Polish then the riders will have more say.     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Personally I love Glasgow,so that is not relevant for me.And I thought it had been stated elsewhere Holder can ride in open meetings,just not sign to ride in the league?

Any meeting should trump a practice session IMO, particularly an international one.

17 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Any meeting should trump a practice session IMO, particularly an international one.

You wonder just how much persuading that Tungate took to forgo the Glasgow meeting to go to his Polish clubs practice, would he put several decent pay days a risk to ride in one international. For me Tungate should be at Glasgow tomorrow but it goes to show just what hold Poland has on riders these days.

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolute p!ss take. The FIM should step in. Can you imagine a UK club demanding that a Polish rider practices over here rather than represent their country? 

Ridiculous.

Maybe with it being ran on a designated night that Poland have priority to use, the FIM cannot do anything anyway?

The BSPA have thought of the 'One Sport' Comps as nothing more than glorified contrived competitions in the past not allowing riders to ride in them..

Maybe a 'Test Match' not on any international calender falls into the same category in the eyes of the Poles?

Edited by mikebv