British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

Great Britain v Australia - Glasgow, Saturday August 4 - 3pm

1 hour ago, screm said:

Lambert was never in the team for today and his absence was explained and arranged a time ago.

I would imagine it's a pretty grudge from when Lambert rode for Peterborough and cheesed a few pussycat supporters off. Long since water under the bridge.

• Like 1

Despite it being pretty naff racing it was well worth the 500 mile round trip to see the top riders. Surreal watching Holder and Woffinden battle it out at a venue that I've seen Lee Dicken try to fight Pepe Franc. 

GB were just annihilated from the starts and was very little passing throughout really. Heat 8 was good. Woffinden class above really from a GB perspective.

Aussies have a good future ahead, Fricke and Kurtz remind me of Adams and Crump in style and seem like decent blokes too. Jack Holder getting better all the time too.

Glasgow have done a wonderful job with the stadium and facilities but, as the racing and criticism from a couple of riders proves, still work to do on the bit that matters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

And being very  "today" did it sell out a 2,500 capacity stadium? If not speedway has indeed had it!

Dunno how many, but stadium seemed pretty full all around, stands were full. back straight area jammed.

Well done to local promotion, well done to fans who came and WELL DONE YOU AUSSIES!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GWC said:

Am I right in thinking the last GB team test was against Denmark in 2004?

2 hours ago, ReadingRacer2017 said:

v Sweden - Smallmead Stadium - Reading

2018/08/04 . . . Glasgow (official)

GREAT BRITAIN 33: T.Woffinden 12, C.Cook 9, A.Ellis 4, C.Harris 3, D.Bewley 2, S.Worrall 2.

AUSTRALIA 57: C.Holder 11, M.Fricke 11, B.Kurtz 11, S.Masters 9, J.Holder 8, T.Proctor 7.

2014/03/09 . . . Leicester (unofficial) "Ben Fund Bonanza" Meeting for the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund

GREAT BRITAIN 45: C.Cook 11, T.Woffinden 10, C.Harris 8, R.Worrall  5, D.King 5, K.Howarth 3, R.Lawson 3, B.Barker 0.

REST OF THE WORLD 39: N.Morris 10, Bj.Pedersen 9, C.Woodward 7, P.Hougaard 6, T.Proctor 3, M.Risager 2, J.Grajczonek 2, A.Skornicki 0.

2012/08/01 . . . Poole (official)

GREAT BRITAIN 39: S.Nicholls 12, C.Harris 8, C.Cook 6, B.Barker 4, A.Roynon 3, E.Kennett 3, J.Auty 3.

AUSTRALIA 53: D.Ward 14, T.Batchelor 11, R.Schlein 9, J.Doyle 8, D.Watt 7, T.Proctor 3, C.Woodward 1.

2011/06/03 . . . Lakeside (official / 2nd Test of 2011)

GREAT BRITAIN 49: B.Barker 13, E.Kennett 10, L.Bridger 6, T.Woffinden 6, C.Harris 6, R.Mear 4, D.KIng 4.

AUSTRALIA 41: R.Schlein 12, C.Holder 10, D.Watt 10, T.Proctor 5, A.Shields 3, J.Sedgmen 1.

2011/06/01 . . . Poole (official / 1st Test of 2011)

GREAT BRITAIN 46: C.Harris 12, E.Kennett 9, S.Nicholls 7, T.Woffinden 6, B.Barker 6, D.King 5, L.Bridger 1.

AUSTRALIA 44: C.Holder 10, R.Schlein 9, D.Ward 8, J.Doyle 6, D.Watt 5, T.Proctor 3, T.Batchelor 3.

2005/06/15 . . . Poole (official)

GREAT BRITAIN 41: S.Nicholls 11, E.Kennett 9, L.Richardson 8, C.Harris 5, S.Stead 4, D.Norris 2, R.Ashworth 2.

AUSTRALIA 49: J.Crump 13, L.Adams 9, D.Watt 9, S.Johnston 8, J.Lyons 4, A.Shields 4, T.McGowan 2.

2004/07/19 . . . Wolverhampton (official)

GREAT BRITAIN 44: S.Nicholls 12, D.Norris 9, D.Howe 9, G.Havelock 6, S.Robson 4, C.Neath 4, L.Richardson 0.

DENMARK 50: N.Pedersen 11, H.Andersen 10, K.Bjerre 9, N.K.Iversen 7, Bj.Pedersen 7, C.Gjedde 6, M.Risager 0.

2003/07/14 . . . Eastbourne (official)

GREAT BRITAIN 43: S.Nicholls 13, D.Barker 12, D.Howe 7, J.Screen 4, D.Norris 4, C.Harris 2, D.Bird 1.

REST OF THE WORLD 47: L.Adams 15, J.Kylmäkorpi 10, M.Max 9, R.Fisher 5, B.Janniro 4, A.Skornicki 2, Seb.Tresarrieu 2.

2002/06/12 . . . Poole (official)

GREAT BRITAIN 42: M.Loram 10, G.Havelock 9, S.Nicholls 6, P.Hurry 5, J.Screen 5, L.Richardson 4, C.Stonehewer 3.

SWEDEN 48: M.Karlsson 13, A.Jonsson 9, P.Karlsson 8, T.Rickardsson 6, D.Nermark 5, N.Klingberg 4, F.Eriksson 3.

2001/06/11 . . . Wolverhampton (official)

GREAT BRITAIN 57: S.Nicholls 14, P.Hurry 10, L.Richardson 9, C.Louis 7, D.Howe 6, G.Havelock 6, S.Stead 5.

DENMARK 33: N.Pedersen 11, J.B.Jensen 9, C.Gjedde 4, Bj.Pedersen 3, Br.Andersen 3, T.P.Madsen 2, R.Juul 1.   

2001/05/24 . . . Ipswich (official)

GREAT BRITAIN 44: S.Nicholls 14, M.Loram 11, C.Louis 9, C.Stonehewer 3, P.Hurry 3, G.Havelock 2, D.Howe 1.

AUSTRALIA 47: J.Crump 14, C.Boyce 8, L.Adams 7, R.Sullivan 5, S.Parker 5, S.Johnston 5, T.Wiltshire 3.

http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/unitedkingdom.htm

Edited by Bavarian

The problem today was that Lambert refused to ride for his country, deciding he would rather have a holiday, and Rosco chose the wrong Worrall. Why choose an out of form rusty one when Richie is banging in the points? Made no sense.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The problem today was that Lambert refused to ride for his country, deciding he would rather have a holiday, and Rosco chose the wrong Worrall. Why choose an out of form rusty one when Richie is banging in the points? Made no sense.

Steve is better and will continue to be better, but you're right that he should have been considered. However, Richie was sacked by Glasgow and there were rumours about him even last season with regards to the management so maybe that played a part?

I enjoyed that today.... well done Glasgow.

Well deserved win for the boys from down under

Just as I thought pre meeting, it was very difficult choosing who to cheer on with 5 X Monarchs split between the teams so I changed my allegiance from race to race

Love or loathe Tai Woffinden, I have to say he makes riding a Speedway bike look so easy. He looks like he’s sitting in an old favourite armchair

Big crowd, big noise.... nice touch with the free horns and flags

Hope the collection for Lewis Kerr went well, get well soon lad

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I agree. Why didn't he pick Grajczonek, Klindt, Jakobsen and Woryna too? Rosco out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Really enjoyed that meeting , not the result I wanted but hospitality  certainly helped ease the pain. The Aussies were sharper at the gate. Tai Woffinden sublime at times and it will be some time before anyone takes the track record from him, heat 15  with Cookie picking off holder and taking the win just about took the roof off. Hopefully we can get some more of these meetings , our boys need to race the best to improve, let's hope it is the start of something for team GB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

He is one of the most travelled riders in the world. Break was booked before.. It's ok with England, but not you.. Your pissed with Lambo because he took a pic of track  with the oil "accident" and Worrall speaks for itself

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

He is one of the most travelled riders in the world. Break was booked before.. It's ok with England, but not you.. Your pissed with Lambo because he took a pic of track  with the oil "accident" and Worrall speaks for itself

people who ride speedway for a living booking "breaks "  haha it's not Mcdonalds you dont book 2 weeks off in the hope of getting some sunshine ,  because come septmeber you get 5 months off 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JCookie said:

Despite it being pretty naff racing it was well worth the 500 mile round trip to see the top riders. Surreal watching Holder and Woffinden battle it out at a venue that I've seen Lee Dicken try to fight Pepe Franc. 

GB were just annihilated from the starts and was very little passing throughout really. Heat 8 was good. Woffinden class above really from a GB perspective.

Aussies have a good future ahead, Fricke and Kurtz remind me of Adams and Crump in style and seem like decent blokes too. Jack Holder getting better all the time too.

Glasgow have done a wonderful job with the stadium and facilities but, as the racing and criticism from a couple of riders proves, still work to do on the bit that matters.

Thanks for travelling up and giving your views. From what I heard, above the noise and general atmosphere, all riders interviewed over the tannoy thought the shape of the track was better but there were a few bumps. Track record was broken with ease by Tai and most races quicker than normal meetings, as you might expect. Cookie showed what could be done when he finally got his set-up right with him getting a standing ovation for his win over holder in Heat 15. Don't think any Glasgow fan could believe that Steve Worrall was in the GB team. I know its good to be loyal but Steve isn't the Steve that rode with style last year. Hes come back from a bad injury and putting him out against Australia can't have done his confidence any good.  Finally a well done to everyone that helped get the meeting on plus all the volunteers.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Thanks for travelling up and giving your views. From what I heard, above the noise and general atmosphere, all riders interviewed over the tannoy thought the shape of the track was better but there were a few bumps. Track record was broken with ease by Tai and most races quicker than normal meetings, as you might expect. Cookie showed what could be done when he finally got his set-up right with him getting a standing ovation for his win over holder in Heat 15. Don't think any Glasgow fan could believe that Steve Worrall was in the GB team. I know its good to be loyal but Steve isn't the Steve that rode with style last year. Hes come back from a bad injury and putting him out against Australia can't have done his confidence any good.  Finally a well done to everyone that helped get the meeting on plus all the volunteers.

Didn't want to seem too critical because the place is light years from the Trashfield we knew, if the track carries on improving it'll be fantastic. Rival to the NSS.

• Like 1