British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

Great Britain v Australia - Glasgow, Saturday August 4 - 3pm

On 7/24/2018 at 7:45 PM, Icicle said:

Note from info on this that the stadium has only a capacity of 2,500 only! Thought it was larger than that?

So will they fill even that capacity with "local" fans? Not many will be travelling up from the deep south or even the Midlands.

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

So will they fill even that capacity with "local" fans? Not many will be travelling up from the deep south or even the Midlands.

It won’t be full with local fans.

17 hours ago, Eduds1 said:

Great to see test matches again, but couldn't they have chosen a more Northern  venue?

Think it has more to do with allied being sponsors of team GB.

23 hours ago, racers and royals said:

You must be a lot younger than me :D 6 man teams(3 pairs of 2)  the pairs raced the other pairs which is 9 heats and then they did it all again which made a 18 heat test match

Edit exactly as this http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/engvden.htm

Probably not younger......yes I realize there are six riders racing but there are two reserves and I guess they are not part of the team , the meeting you cite Kevin Smith and Sean Wilmot were the reserves but in this particular meeting they didn't ride, every other meeting the reserve (s) were used and for the USA series of the same year  the reserves were top class reserves and used! .....Most, if not all of those programmes in the UK section on the International speedway website are from my own personal collection......shame the site is no longer active.

Edited by andout
addition

16 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

1968   Swindon      Great Britain  v Sweden.  Hunter ,Luckhurst. -   Lars Jansson   B. Larsson all at number 7/8    6 man teams  in a 18 heat format..

All those four number 7/8 rode in that meeting but I guess they were not part of the "team".....Hmmmm I know, probably being picky but to me they are part of the team and in some cases have won and lost test matches over the years.

18 minutes ago, andout said:

All those four number 7/8 rode in that meeting but I guess they were not part of the "team".....Hmmmm I know, probably being picky but to me they are part of the team and in some cases have won and lost test matches over the years.

Certainly right there the reserves are important a test match that always sticks in mind was in 1983 at  Sheffield England v USA. Neil Collins who was a reserve got a very important 5.1( with Carter)  over Schwartz/ Sigalos really turned the match.

Great to see a test against Australia again. I always enjoyed the tests in the 60's and 70's.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, andout said:

Test matches variously had 7 or 8 rider teams. 6 riders had programmed heats, and there were one or two non-programmed reserves who could be used as required. I'd say the reserves were part of the team. 

However, I also seem to recall 'tests' between National League teams and the likes of Russia that ran with 7-rider teams under the 16-heat format that was used at the time. 

Great News about this GB v AUS test match, I am really looking forward to this!

One question though, why would this be the first official test match for a Great Britain team since they rode against Sweden at Poole in 2002, when in fact Great Britain has met Australia several times since then (even discounting the second division level Premier League test series of 2013)

The most recent full international between Great Britain and Australia dates August 1, 2012, at Poole.

Here is the link to find all of the recently held Great Britain v Australia Speedway Test Matches http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/gbvaus.htm

Edited by Bavarian

Great to see this happening...although having it in Scotland is a little ironic...Almost a neutral venue.

The other irony of course will be Craig Cook. Last time there was a test match against Australia, he withdrew from the GB team, citing not being able to afford the fuel for his van to get to Ipswich. He'll be clean out of excuses this time. Just watch him top-score in his own back yard now.

15 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Great to see this happening...although having it in Scotland is a little ironic...Almost a neutral venue.

The other irony of course will be Craig Cook. Last time there was a test match against Australia, he withdrew from the GB team, citing not being able to afford the fuel for his van to get to Ipswich. He'll be clean out of excuses this time. Just watch him top-score in his own back yard now.

He might be skint again by then as he is facing a big fine from the Polish authorities for not arriving in time for the Nice Polska league riders championship on Sunday July 8th.

Edited by racers and royals

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

The riders will be well paid for this meeting I hope.     Rerpresenting your country should be well paid.

• Like 1

Tai Woffinden and Craig Cook are the first two names on the Team GB team sheet. 

Is it televised? So remote for most fans to consider attending. Perhaps Pay per view should be set up.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

22 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Great News about this GB v AUS test match, I am really looking forward to this!

One question though, why would this be the first official test match for a Great Britain team since they rode against Sweden at Poole in 2002, when in fact Great Britain has met Australia several times since then (even discounting the second division level Premier League test series of 2013)

The most recent full international between Great Britain and Australia dates August 1, 2012, at Poole.

Here is the link to find all of the recently held Great Britain v Australia Speedway Test Matches http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/gbvaus.htm

Its so long since a real test match has taken place I'm not surprised you are confused.....When someone says first official test match it means "of that year"! For example, when test matches used to be every year (usually five of them) each year had a first official test match.......and a second, third, fourth and fifth official.