British Speedway Forum
james1234

Grand Prix Calendar and Venues 2019

1 hour ago, screm said:

Having already taken a calculated gamble by putting Cardiff back to September, later than ever before, would BSI take another one by introducing another GP in this Country. Personally I`d love to see a GP go to Belle Vue and it would sell out very quickly so maybe the profits of one would be off set against the losses from the other.

I doubt the Cardiff GP loses money as it's subsidised by the Welsh government. The British GP is probably one of BSI's bigger cash cows. 

BSI would only be interested in running another at Belle Vue if the local tourist board was willing to throw some money at it, or a local promoter was willing to front up a significant staging fee. Neither is likely to happen because the small capacity of the stadium means it's unlikely either scenario would be financially viable.

BSI is in the game to maximise their profits - they're not interested in using the profits from one GP to subsidise another. They do have to put on a certain number of GPs for television purposes though, and there's obviously not enough cost effective big venues, or suckers who'll throw money at them to go around. Hence why they still have to find venues in the middle of fields that only cost a few bob and won't lose too much money. 

It's possible that a Belle Vue GP might make its debut if BSI desperately needed to find a cheap venue to make up the numbers, but as it would potentially pull some fans away from Cardiff, far more likely that they'll find somewhere in the likes of Germany, Italy, Finland or Croatia first, whilst claiming to support 'minor nations'. I'm sure though, they'd prefer to have ten Polish GPs if they could actually find ten Polish cities willing to pay over the odds, and thought they could get away with it... :rolleyes:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ARTICLE in SS this week by our long-time Australian correspondent Peter White .... pessimistic rather than optimistic. Would require state funding. What might help is if New Zealand also come to the party. Two events on consecutive weeks would make a lot more sense. Rumour has it that now Bill has secured the future of Western Springs as a motorsport venue he could be open to the idea.

Article in NZHearald a few weeks ago suggested motor sports are leaving Western Springs and that it will become an international cricket venue. Motor sports will then move to a new venue nearer the airport in Auckland

http://www.driven.co.nz/news/motorsport/roar-no-more-speedway-is-leaving-western-springs/?ref=nzhhome

Edited by severnsider

5 hours ago, RPNY said:

Just Bin the smaller 1 horse town venues and get it back to some worthy citys/stadiums!

A bit like Gothenburg, Stockholm times 2, Copenhagen, Berlin, Gelsenkirchen, Tampere. All stadium GP's which failed to run the course. Only Poland an GB can sustain a stadium GP. Costs will determine that it will probably be tracks in a field in the back of beyond that will be the future., 

Just now, New Science said:

A bit like Gothenburg, Stockholm times 2, Copenhagen, Berlin, Gelsenkirchen, Tampere. All stadium GP's which failed to run the course. Only Poland an GB can sustain a stadium GP. Costs will determine that it will probably be tracks in a field in the back of beyond that will be the future., 

I read Copenhagen was successful with good crowds.    The others were rubbish particularly Tampere which had 100 yard straights and the tighest corners with only one line.   Its the only GP I've turned off TV.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

I read Copenhagen was successful with good crowds. 

I think towards the end, crowds were down to well under 20,000 in Copenhagen, which given the size and presumably cost of the stadium were pretty low. Phillippe blamed the cost of the bridge over from Jutland for putting off fans, but the bridge was there before the GP and crowds were initially quite reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think towards the end, crowds were down to well under 20,000 in Copenhagen, which given the size and presumably cost of the stadium were pretty low. Phillippe blamed the cost of the bridge over from Jutland for putting off fans, but the bridge was there before the GP and crowds were initially quite reasonable. 

YOUR sarcasm and scepticism is showing its face again .It doesn't matter what I think but several people in Denmark, including a number of journalists and people like Ole Olsen said that the cost for the core of Danish speedway fans travelling to Copenhagen and accommodation (like Cardiff) was proving prohibitive once the novelty of going to the Capital wore off. And Danish fans, like their Swedish cousins, don't get attracted by a sub-standard home line up. No doubt had Nielsen, Gundersen and Knudsen been riding then an SGP at PARKEN would be a massive success. Neither Denmark nor Sweden currently have a superstar to put bums on seats and, sadly, there is no sign of one emerging any time soon.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:22 AM, New Science said:

A bit like Gothenburg, Stockholm times 2, Copenhagen, Berlin, Gelsenkirchen, Tampere. All stadium GP's which failed to run the course. Only Poland
n GB can sustain a stadium GP
. Costs will determine that it will probably be tracks in a field in the back of beyond that will be the future., 

Perhaps the problem isn't the stadiums but BSI's inability to promote their own event, charging too high tickets prices and etc.
If you charge €50 for a ticket and 10'000 show up you get €500k in incomes + food/beverages purchases - poor atmosphere = people will not come back.
If you charger €25 for a ticket and 30'000 show up you get €750K in incomes + + food/beverages purchases + a good atmosphere = people will come back.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

Perhaps the problem isn't the stadiums but BSI's inability to promote their own event, charging too high tickets prices and etc.
If you charge €50 for a ticket and 10'000 show up you get €50k in incomes + food/beverages purchases - poor atmosphere = people will not come back.
If you charger €25 for a ticket and 30'000 show up you get €75K in incomes + + food/beverages purchases + a good atmosphere = people will come back.

The price definatly put me off the SON, as it did for the poles in their rounds and if belle vue host a GP then you can only see prices being the same 

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

It doesn't matter what I think but several people in Denmark, including a number of journalists and people like Ole Olsen said that the cost for the core of Danish speedway fans travelling to Copenhagen and accommodation (like Cardiff) was proving prohibitive once the novelty of going to the Capital wore off. 

So it actually had little to do with the cost of the bridge and everything to do with Copenhagen being an expensive venue?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Any chance of Russia for 2019?

I would say the traveling to Copenhagen and back from Jutland was a bit of a pain.I did that once from Hamburg and the rain didn’t help.But stopping at a petrol station on the way back and there was a massive bloody queue!!Can I guess get around it as normally petrol stations in Denmark aren’t staffed,so I could maybe have payed at the pump,but if you wanted a snack or a drink etc then you were stuffed

I do think Phil has a point with needing a superstar.The Danes are very patriotic and won’t just turn up to watch their riders finish 3rd or 4th.I also on both occasions witnessed some nasty hooliganism at Parken with a running street battle once.Never seen any trouble elsewhere in Denmark

5 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

If you charge €50 for a ticket and 10'000 show up you get €50k in incomes + food/beverages purchases - poor atmosphere = people will not come back.
If you charger €25 for a ticket and 30'000 show up you get €75K in incomes + + food/beverages purchases + a good atmosphere = people will come back.

should that be 500k and 750k as income ? 

agree with you about ticket prices , went to Cardiff with a £19 ticket and enjoyed it enough to go back next year,

but if the same seat was £50 would not have gone, or maybe would go one time only

4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

So it actually had little to do with the cost of the bridge and everything to do with Copenhagen being an expensive venue?

IT was one component

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SON probably

What track would that be at ?    Easy to access from UK ?