British Speedway Forum
james1234

Grand Prix Calendar and Venues 2019

1 minute ago, Col said:

Wroclaw replaces Gorzow on the calendar.  Both good stadiums, Gorzow is a better track for racing from the limited views I've had of both.

many would say the opposite on 2018 evidence.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mark said:

many would say the opposite on 2018 evidence.

Definately the opposite in my opinion.-Wroclaw has developed into a brilliant race track this season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Definately the opposite in my opinion.-Wroclaw has developed into a brilliant race track this season.

I went to their home match against Czestachowa and then then watched on here the Torun match a couple of weeks ago and they were both classics.  Inside like most tracks seems to have an early advantage.

I guess I was lucky to be at Gorzow for the GP two years ago, it was admittedly not as good this year as previoulsy.

Wroclaw v Rybnik which I attended last year, the SoN this year & the World Final which Havelock won in atrocious conditions is all I believe I have seen of Wroclaw.

I was in Wroclaw just a few weeks ago for the Wroclaw v Torun meeting, fantastic venue, fantastic city, and yes fantastic track, just as good as the NSS in Manchester, can not wait for a date to be announced, that's another weekend in Poland to sort out , already booked the Warsaw GP.

• Like 1

Wroclaw is easier to get to for the traveller on public transport over Gorzow was a bit of a trek for me from Poznan. And Wroclaw the city & stadium is excellent. For me the jury is out re-the racing. The SoN was good but the Sf#1 (Wroclaw v Leszno) I have just watched didn`t have that much passing. Would rate Manchester NSS racing as better. I personally think the best race tracks in Poland are Częstochowa & Torun.

Another plus for me with Wroclaw is their could be football on the sunday or Leszno/Rawicz speedway is not that far away by train.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:16 PM, steve69 said:

Wroclaw is easier to get to for the traveller on public transport over Gorzow was a bit of a trek for me from Poznan. And Wroclaw the city & stadium is excellent. For me the jury is out re-the racing. The SoN was good but the Sf#1 (Wroclaw v Leszno) I have just watched didn`t have that much passing. Would rate Manchester NSS racing as better. I personally think the best race tracks in Poland are Częstochowa & Torun.

Another plus for me with Wroclaw is their could be football on the sunday or Leszno/Rawicz speedway is not that far away by train.

Wroclaw is a nice place, never been to Gorzow but heard its a bit of a dump

Wroclaw track has improved this year but I still dont think its up to much. Too much of a big circle. The last match of regular season against Torun was good but the play off vs Leszno as you rightly said was pretty terrible. So many close races but very few passes

I for one though wouldn't let Wroclaw have it because of the less than half full (actually probably more like a quarter) attendance at the SON.  Czestowchowa & Torun would be so much better. Also like Rybnik who seem to draw a big crowd

On 8/31/2018 at 1:29 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

Even more countries could put out one competitive rider, but at what point does it cease to become a team competition?

Two riders is not a proper team competition in my book, however well it might have worked, and you also have the issue where 5 countries are sitting out each heat. The SWC was generally the best international competition over the years, and usually produced good racing.

Absolutely ridiculous to be changing the format because one country happens to have a run of success. The Poles are far less dominant than Denmark were in the 80s, England/Britain were in the 70s, and Sweden were in the 60s, and they didn't radically change the World Team Cup format then. 

Did FIFA turn the World Cup into a 5-a-side competition after Brazil won it a few times?

Agree with this 100% Just because Poland are dominant  (if you can count winning in 2016 & 2017) is no reason to drop the format. Its incredible that the U21s can have a proper 4 rider World Cup but not at senior level.

Looking back over the last few years of the SWC you had a pretty dominant win in 2017 for Poland but also within that match you had Antonio Lindback probably putting in the best performance of his career and also you had the amazing 2017 semi final 2 in Sweden where Latvia beat Denmark into 3rd place. No one who watched that match could have thought that the format needed tweaking!! You also had a pretty decent 2016 final at the NSS and 2015 final was absolutely amazing where Sweden won, 2015 went down to the last corner

It must be getting dropped for commercial reasons. As a format i still think it works. For whatever reason the organisers cant make it work commercial so they have dropped it. Seems a shame

2 hours ago, James Carter said:

Agree with this 100% Just because Poland are dominant  (if you can count winning in 2016 & 2017) is no reason to drop the format. Its incredible that the U21s can have a proper 4 rider World Cup but not at senior level.

Looking back over the last few years of the SWC you had a pretty dominant win in 2017 for Poland but also within that match you had Antonio Lindback probably putting in the best performance of his career and also you had the amazing 2017 semi final 2 in Sweden where Latvia beat Denmark into 3rd place. No one who watched that match could have thought that the format needed tweaking!! You also had a pretty decent 2016 final at the NSS and 2015 final was absolutely amazing where Sweden won, 2015 went down to the last corner

It must be getting dropped for commercial reasons. As a format i still think it works. For whatever reason the organisers cant make it work commercial so they have dropped it. Seems a shame

If the SWC Final is run in Poland it will always be won by the Poles backed by huge home support.   If it went elsewhere, maybe to Belle Vue, then other countries would have a much better chance.   That's the main thing in this dicussion as Poland are the only country to wanted to host it.   Watching them win each year would be boring.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

If the SWC Final is run in Poland it will always be won by the Poles backed by huge home support.   If it went elsewhere, maybe to Belle Vue, then other countries would have a much better chance.   That's the main thing in this dicussion as Poland are the only country to wanted to host it.   Watching them win each year would be boring.

I wasn't aware they were the only ones interested in hosting. 

I think the reason Poland do so well is that they get their best riders to race. If say Denmark could get Pedersen, Madsen, NKI and MJJ to race they'd certainly push Poland close. 

Don't agree with the guaranteed big crowd though Bydgoszcz 2014 crowd was non existent. Although plenty turned up at Leszno 2017 then rubbish crowd again in 2018. 

11 minutes ago, James Carter said:

I wasn't aware they were the only ones interested in hosting. 

I think the reason Poland do so well is that they get their best riders to race. If say Denmark could get Pedersen, Madsen, NKI and MJJ to race they'd certainly push Poland close. 

Don't agree with the guaranteed big crowd though Bydgoszcz 2014 crowd was non existent. Although plenty turned up at Leszno 2017 then rubbish crowd again in 2018. 

Pedersen fell out with the manager over a broken promise made by the previous manager.     MJJ rode in the SON and Iversen would have ridden had he not been in hospital for a shoulder operation.       It would seem a lot of Danes feel Hans Neilsen is a poor manager.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, steve69 said:

Bit surprised the GP goes back to Wroclaw. Gorzow have put a lot of money into the BSI coffers including being one of their title sponsors . Add to this that Gorzow had already signed a deal to host next years World Cup, that might cost BSI a few quid to get out of that agreement. Wroclaw might be a nice city and easy to get to but the new stadium only has an eleven thousand capacity, much smaller than Torun, Gorzow and Warsaw.

16 minutes ago, New Science said:

Bit surprised the GP goes back to Wroclaw. Gorzow have put a lot of money into the BSI coffers including being one of their title sponsors . Add to this that Gorzow had already signed a deal to host next years World Cup, that might cost BSI a few quid to get out of that agreement. Wroclaw might be a nice city and easy to get to but the new stadium only has an eleven thousand capacity, much smaller than Torun, Gorzow and Warsaw.

SoN is going to Russia said P.Rising.