British Speedway Forum
james1234

Grand Prix Calendar and Venues 2019

7 hours ago, racers and royals said:

I think he said "possibly"rather than "definitely"

HE did...  although talking to Armando Castagna in Gorzow two weeks ago it is now probable. When better than to have Russia as the defending champions. The scoring will be different too. Badgered Armando about changing the name (Speedway of Nations sounds like an 'open' meeting - just call in the Speedway World Cup which is, after all, what it is but with a different format). Also suggested that riders with tape warnings have them scrapped before the semis or final. Nothing worse than a title being decided in a three man race. Of course, if a rider breaks the tapes he should still be excluded but not for a relatively minor offence which could just be in the eye of the referee on the night.

And if the final is a tied heat then the team that accumulated the most points wins... Although it would probably work against GB next year.

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HE did...  although talking to Armando Castagna in Gorzow two weeks ago it is now probable. When better than to have Russia as the defending champions. The scoring will be different too. Badgered Armando about changing the name (Speedway of Nations sounds like an 'open' meeting - just call in the Speedway World Cup which is, after all, what it is but with a different format). Also suggested that riders with tape warnings have them scrapped before the semis or final. Nothing worse than a title being decided in a three man race. Of course, if a rider breaks the tapes he should still be excluded but not for a relatively minor offence which could just be in the eye of the referee on the night.

I will likely give it a miss then. Doesn't sound particular interesting compared to the real Speedway world cup.

11 hours ago, racers and royals said:

I think he said "possibly"rather than "definitely"

Hopefully they'll think again.  

Having just watched Belle Vue v Somerset we live in hope that there is a GP in Manchester next year.

16 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

(Speedway of Nations sounds like an 'open' meeting - just call in the Speedway World Cup which is, after all, what it is but with a different format).

Except it isn't the Speedway World Cup - it's a best pairs competition with an occasional Under 21 rider.

Just call it the Speedway World Pairs (or Speedway World Triples if you like), then you won't contravene the trade description act. :D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RPNY said:

Having just watched Belle Vue v Somerset we live in hope that there is a GP in Manchester next year.

DON'T think it will happen much as I would like it to. BSI are fearful of doing anything that would diminish the crowd at Cardiff, which is their jewel in the crown. The fact of the matter is that none of us actually know whether it would or it wouldn't. The two events would be very different, no one is going to spend the day hanging around Kirky Lane, the weather could be a factor, the stadium doesn't have the facilities of the Principality, etc, etc.

But what we saw last night underlines what a fantastic race track they have at the NSS and that alone should attract a decent crowd. But would fans go to one or the other or both? That is the 64,000 dollar question that we cannot answer and I don't see BSI taking a risk, at least not in 2019.

Cardiff attracts many, many fans who do not go to any other speedway event in the UK during the course of a season. 

On 9/1/2018 at 7:49 PM, STEPHEN 333 said:

I was in Wroclaw just a few weeks ago for the Wroclaw v Torun meeting, fantastic venue, fantastic city, and yes fantastic track, just as good as the NSS in Manchester, can not wait for a date to be announced, that's another weekend in Poland to sort out , already booked the Warsaw GP.

Was at the same match and couldn't agree more!!

Having visited a number of Polish cities over the last eleven years or so, I commented to a friend that Wroclaw was fast becoming my favourite Polish city and Polish speedway venue.

40 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DON'T think it will happen much as I would like it to. BSI are fearful of doing anything that would diminish the crowd at Cardiff, which is their jewel in the crown. The fact of the matter is that none of us actually know whether it would or it wouldn't. The two events would be very different, no one is going to spend the day hanging around Kirky Lane, the weather could be a factor, the stadium doesn't have the facilities of the Principality, etc, etc.

But what we saw last night underlines what a fantastic race track they have at the NSS and that alone should attract a decent crowd. But would fans go to one or the other or both? That is the 64,000 dollar question that we cannot answer and I don't see BSI taking a risk, at least not in 2019.

Cardiff attracts many, many fans who do not go to any other speedway event in the UK during the course of a season. 

Buggar! With Cardiff being announced for September there are a lot of us that put 2 and 2 together and made 5!

Edited by RPNY

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

If they were far enough apart in the calendar I would go to both.    If Manchester was made free to air via BT Sport, give great racing, then the crowd at Cardiff could maybe swell.         With Cardiff being in the south the more northern Manchester compliments

Edited by Mark

If Round one was in Manchester I see no reason why it would remotely affect Cardiff. Great City, Great track, Stadium that although is not a patch on Cardiff, is more than worthy of a GP. Madness if they dont have a GP there IMO.

Edited by RPNY
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Great for the Russians but a pain for the huge majority who will struggle to get to Togliatti.      Good idea about the naming and tapes.     Hoping they get the scoring right for the Final in 2019.  

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE FIM are very keen for these events to be taken to new venues.

Don’t worry about the quality of the racing!!! Lets have it at places like Tampere.

18 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE FIM are very keen for these events to be taken to new venues.

I'm all for new venues if they provide good racing but accessability maybe has to be taken into account.