British Speedway Forum
james1234

Grand Prix Calendar and Venues 2019

14 minutes ago, screm said:

Possibly though as the interview was all about his roll as SGP race director I think he would be talking about SGP matters.

Agree- i`m going for a real punt and say the new venue is the Johan Cruijff arena Amsterdam.

53 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Agree- i`m going for a real punt and say the new venue is the Johan Cruijff arena Amsterdam.

Yeah,and following on from developments in the sporting world,Poland want to hold the opening league meeting for next season in the Maracana and the BSPA were hoping to host an Elite League meeting in the Hong Kong stadium,but locals complaints about noise levels seem to have stopped that move,so another venue in Asia is being looked at.Maybe the Kai Tak stadium when it is completed?

Edited by iris123

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yeah,and following on from developments in the sporting world,Poland want to hold the opening league meeting for next season in the Maracana and the BSPA were hoping to host an Elite League meeting in the Hong Kong stadium,but locals complaints about noise levels seem to have stopped that move,so another venue in Asia is being looked at.Maybe 

Go on then- what  is your best guess for the new country holding a GP in 2019 ??  :)

Russia,as a few people have already mentioned,would seem a more likely and far lower financial risk than somewhere like Amsterdam!!!

13 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Russia,as a few people have already mentioned,would seem a more likely and far lower financial risk than somewhere like Amsterdam!!!

GP and  SON- i don`t think so. Think you need another guess.

And I think you need another one as well!!!:blink::P

Seeing as France are emerging as a speedway nation, with a new league, SON participation and French riders riding in overseas competitions, how about the Stad de France in Paris?.

4 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Seeing as France are emerging as a speedway nation, with a new league, SON participation and French riders riding in overseas competitions, how about the Stad de France in Paris?.

The stadium has hosted motor sport in the past.

5 hours ago, racers and royals said:

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

The stadium has hosted motor sport in the past.

IMO both Johan Cruyff Arena and Stade de France are too big for a first time speedway GP. For NL I've suggested the  GelreDome before.
It is located in Arnhem and it's capacity is around 20'000 which I think is more suitable arena to start with. If it is a success then one
can consider upgrading to JC arena after a few years. The same goes for Stade the France, a capacity of over 70'000 is IMO too much
for a smaller speedway nation as France. Not the mention the astronomical cost to rent the place for the necessary time.

• Like 1

Speedway can barely keep foot in Horsens in one of the main speedway countries.How the hell people think a big stadium in Amsterdam or Paris,well away from the speedway area of France is do-able is beyond me!!!

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, racers and royals said:

In 2019 every team has to have a U21 reserve rider- that was in this years rules(for next year)

Why don't they make it easier and just have countries nominate any 3 riders they desire. It would make it more of a team event . The SON is a bit like the Davis Cup in tennis, one outstanding individual, Andy Murray, Tai Woffinden can win you, get you a medal without much backing. At least with your 3 best nominated riders strength in depth may be more of an advantage if one rider is under performing / injured. Just a thought !

6 minutes ago, New Science said:

Why don't they make it easier and just have countries nominate any 3 riders they desire. It would make it more of a team event . The SON is a bit like the Davis Cup in tennis, one outstanding individual, Andy Murray, Tai Woffinden can win you, get you a medal without much backing. At least with your 3 best nominated riders strength in depth may be more of an advantage if one rider is under performing / injured. Just a thought !

Trouble is the prize fund is cr@p- the FIM and BSI probably would just like 2 riders per team, however they are sort of forced to include a 3rd for the injury situation. the prize money can not support 3 senior riders wages hence the cheaper U21 option.  

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Speedway can barely keep foot in Horsens in one of the main speedway countries.How the hell people think a big stadium in Amsterdam or Paris,well away from the speedway area of France is do-able is beyond me!!!

Agree, as the Speedway Star says this week regarding Bratislava  , great idea but needs somebody wealthy to pay for it, can't see too many takers in the speedway backwaters of France and the Netherlands. Realistically, I know Phil Rising disagrees but there are only 2 major markets left for the SGP than can accommodate and retain a stadium GP, that being Poland and GB. Russia is interesting, there could have been a GP at Togliatti 7 years ago but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. BSI like to be in control of everything at the GP, not sure in Russia that would get that, seems there has always been a lack of trust in all things Russian  

45 minutes ago, New Science said:

Agree, as the Speedway Star says this week regarding Bratislava  , great idea but needs somebody wealthy to pay for it, can't see too many takers in the speedway backwaters of France and the Netherlands. Realistically, I know Phil Rising disagrees but there are only 2 major markets left for the SGP than can accommodate and retain a stadium GP, that being Poland and GB. Russia is interesting, there could have been a GP at Togliatti 7 years ago but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. BSI like to be in control of everything at the GP, not sure in Russia that would get that, seems there has always been a lack of trust in all things Russian  

NOT sure you know me at all... would actually agree that Poland and GB are the most viable with the decline of world class riders in Denmark and Sweden. No doubt BSI would like to see the FIM spend more of the money that goes into its coffers on grassroots speedway and to help develop the discipline in new countries but that doesn't appear to be high on the agenda in Geneva. I do think that BSI have problems finding SGP venues just as they are in need of new top class riders emerging in Denmark, Sweden, the USA and elsewhere other than Poland.

One of the issues with the SGP going to Russia a few years back was that BSI is owned by IMG, an American company, and the US and other countries had imposed sanctions on Russia which muddied the waters and their office in Moscow was not exactly enthusiastic. It is a bit clearer now.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1