British Speedway Forum
james1234

Grand Prix Calendar and Venues 2019

On 9/15/2018 at 7:23 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

I do think that BSI have problems finding SGP venues just as they are in need of new top class riders emerging in Denmark, Sweden, the USA and elsewhere other than Poland.

I thought you previously said plenty of venues were interested in hosting a GP?

With respect to a Russian GP, I expect the reality was that the asking price was more than the locals were prepared to pay, and/or there were pay-offs that needed to be made.

BSI is a UK-registered company, and in any case, I don't think the sanctions apply to sports and entertainment whether UK/EU or US. The fact that IMG are operating a office in Moscow suggests it can't be an issue even for a US-owned company, and after all, England recently competed in a World Cup held there. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

48 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I thought you previously said plenty of venues were interested in hosting a GP?

With respect to a Russian GP, I expect the reality was that the asking price was more than the locals were prepared to pay, and/or there were pay-offs that needed to be made.

BSI is a UK-registered company, and in any case, I don't think the sanctions apply to sports and entertainment whether UK/EU or US. The fact that IMG are operating a office in Moscow suggests it can't be an issue even for a US-owned company, and after all, England recently competed in a World Cup held there. 

OF course, as usual you know best. But actually you don't. There was never any discussion about the cost of a SGP in Russia. IMG weren't interested. Fact. All BSI employees are answerable to higher authority within IMG. 

There are plenty of venues interested in staging a SGP. Sadly, most are in Poland.

Stick to what you know, although that would be a first.

• Like 1

Any rumours on date for Czech or German GP's?

6 hours ago, Col said:

Any rumours on date for Czech or German GP's?

Unless things have changed there is no Czech SGP for next year.

8 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

OF course, as usual you know best. But actually you don't. There was never any discussion about the cost of a SGP in Russia. IMG weren't interested. Fact. All BSI employees are answerable to higher authority within IMG. 

So nothing to do with sanctions then - glad we cleared that up. Funny also that One Sport managed to hold a round of the SEC in Russia, despite being a Polish company that would also be subject to sanctions if they applied. 

Stick to the facts, not fanciful storytelling - although that would be a first. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

5 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

So nothing to do with sanctions then - glad we cleared that up. Funny also that One Sport managed to hold a round of the SEC in Russia, despite being a Polish company that would also be subject to sanctions if they applied. 

Stick to the facts, not fanciful storytelling - although that would be a first. 

I TOLD you the facts. IMG did not want to go to Russia, particularly at a time when American (nothing to do with Poland) companies were sensitive about doing business there.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT sure you know me at all... would actually agree that Poland and GB are the most viable with the decline of world class riders in Denmark and Sweden. No doubt BSI would like to see the FIM spend more of the money that goes into its coffers on grassroots speedway and to help develop the discipline in new countries but that doesn't appear to be high on the agenda in Geneva. I do think that BSI have problems finding SGP venues just as they are in need of new top class riders emerging in Denmark, Sweden, the USA and elsewhere other than Poland.

One of the issues with the SGP going to Russia a few years back was that BSI is owned by IMG, an American company, and the US and other countries had imposed sanctions on Russia which muddied the waters and their office in Moscow was not exactly enthusiastic. It is a bit clearer now.

This year I made a post on this topic that there were only 2 major markets left for the SGP, GB and Poland. You disagreed that GB was still a major market. That's why I made the comment. As for riders emerging from USA, America will never have a better rider in the series than they have now. You know it has nothing to do with riders, it all comes down to money and finding someone to finance it. GP's have readily gone to countries with no world class riders, New Zealand, Finland etc as long as the finance is forthcoming, nothing to do with emerging talent.

• Like 3

BUT NZ and Finland were at least speedway nations. The USA certainly isn't. It does have much to do with home riders who can at least guarantee some supporters. So, no, I do not know it has nothing to do with riders, otherwise motorcycle racing mad Spain would be a prime contender.

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT NZ and Finland were at least speedway nations. The USA certainly isn't. It does have much to do with home riders who can at least guarantee some supporters. So, no, I do not know it has nothing to do with riders, otherwise motorcycle racing mad Spain would be a prime contender.

Bizarre logic that NZ and Finland are speedway nations and the US is not.

Speedway has been run in the US since the 60s at least, and there's probably still more tracks running more meetings than the other two countries put together.

US speedway is mostly (if not entirely these days) based in California, but equally speedway in NZ is restricted to three fairly small areas nowadays. And how many world class speedway riders has Finland produced over the years compared to the US?

Just admit that no-one is willing to stump up the asking price to run a GP in the US, and BSI doesn't think it worth taking the risk themselves. 

35 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Speedway has been run in the US since the 60s at least, and there's probably still more tracks running more meetings than the other two countries put together.

US speedway is mostly (if not entirely these days) based in California, but equally speedway in NZ is restricted to three fairly small areas nowadays. And how many world class speedway riders has Finland produced over the years compared to the US?

Just admit that no-one is willing to stump up the asking price to run a GP in the US, and BSI doesn't think it worth taking the risk themselves. 

CANNOT compare the USA, where speedway is confined to a very small area of a massive State let alone the whole country, to NZ or Finland. The only American rider, World Champion or not, who enjoyed any real recognition in his home country was Penhall and that was all to do with CHiPS.

No one would deny that no one, not even Monster, is prepared to stump up the money to stage a round there. Why should they?

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT compare the USA, where speedway is confined to a very small area of a massive State let alone the whole country, to NZ or Finland. The only American rider, World Champion or not, who enjoyed any real recognition in his home country was Penhall and that was all to do with CHiPS.

Which Finnish rider achieved national recognition in their own country then?

For that matter, which Kiwi rider has been a household name since Ivan Mauger?

3 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Name the tracks. In Us and FI

Western Springs would always get a crowd. NZ is an 'outdoor' nation and has a rich speedway history. They were always going to attract a decent crowd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Which Finnish rider achieved national recognition in their own country then?

For that matter, which Kiwi rider has been a household name since Ivan Mauger?

Larry Ross

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Thanks 1