British Speedway Forum
james1234

Grand Prix Calendar and Venues 2019

5 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Name the tracks. In Us and FI

I don't keep up with these things as much as I used to, but Finland appears to have six speedway tracks (Pori, Nokia, Hyvinkää, Haapajärvi, Seinäjoki and Tampere) running something like 15 scheduled meetings between themselves during 2018. I seem to recall there were 3 or 4 other tracks at some point, but no idea if they're still open. 

AFAIK, New Zealand now only has Western Springs, Moore Park and Oreti Park running solo speedway, although there are undoubtedly other oval dirt tracks that could run speedway. Don't think they run bike meetings more than once a month at each of these circuits, so let's say 18 meetings to be generous.

California currently appears to have active tracks at Costa Mesa (11 meetings in 2018), Industry Racing (14), Auburn (6), Prairie City (6), Ventura (6), Santa Maria (3) and Perris (10). Victorville and Ridgecrest have also staged speedway in recent years, although didn't in 2018. 

So it would just about be fair to say that Finland and New Zealand have slightly more active tracks (9) combined than the 'non-speedway' nation of the US (with 7), but the US stages somewhat more meetings (at least 56). Of course, I haven't included ice racing tracks or meetings in Finland, but then there may still be speedway tracks running elsewhere in the US (I seem to recall that New York State and Ohio also had tracks running meetings at some point). :D

But I'm not claiming that Finland and New Zealand aren't speedway countries, which clearly they are. I was taking issue with Philippe's absurd statement that the US isn't a speedway country when a substantial number of meetings get organised there, which are even run on semi-professional basis, and the country has a long track record of its riders and teams featuring prominently in World Championships (even managing to win 18 titles).

If the claim is that a lack of geographical spread of tracks disqualifies a country from being a speedway one, well I'd say where are the tracks in large tracts of Poland, Sweden and Denmark? :rolleyes:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Made you look'em up! = )

Add Varkaus (our only one with an APD and a FIM Europe license) to the active tracks and take Tampere (Kaanaa) out. Kuusankoski and Kauhajoki could also stage a meeting if they wanted to. 15 meetings a season is about right.

I read with interest the Across the pond series in Spar last winter and actually corresponded with Steve Evans who wrote them. So I had an idea whats it all about over there.

10 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

If the claim is that a lack of geographical spread of tracks disqualifies a country from being a speedway one, well I'd say where are the tracks
in large tracts of Poland, Sweden and Denmark? :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree. Rough locations of most active speedway tracks in Sweden http://forumbilder.se/H83M8/swe-speedway-patches
Hallstavik was unintentionally cut off but is located quite a bit north east of Uppsala.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Thanks for the map.  So why did they ever host World Finals & GP's in Gothenburg?  Nowhere near an active Speedway track?

Edited by Col

1 hour ago, Col said:

Thanks for the map.  So why did they ever host World Finals & GP's in Gothenburg?  Nowhere near an active Speedway track?

Kaparna was a long standing team that raced in Gothenburg up until about 10 years ago, and there was also a track at Malmo.

The Ullevi was for a long time though, the biggest stadium in Sweden if not the whole of Scandinavia, and could also accommodate a speedway track.

Malmö went bellyup in Allsvenskan only a couple of years ago.

Yes,I went to the Malmö track,but that isn’t the track that held the world final back in the 60’s

On a much lighter note, went to Moore Park when I was in Christchurch 2016. Very basic but lovely set up. Very happy I got to see it.

17 hours ago, Col said:

16 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Kaparna was a long standing team that raced in Gothenburg up until about 10 years ago, and there was also a track at Malmo.

The Ullevi was for a long time though, the biggest stadium in Sweden if not the whole of Scandinavia, and could also accommodate a speedway track.

GotEvent gor the FIM/BSI a good offer. Ullevi, like friends is too big though and you sit quite far away from the track. Just like Cruyff arena and Stade de France are too big.

They also tried the Stockholm Olympic stadium in Stockholm for a while but it wasn't that successful and it's very old (>100 years).
The athletics track was refurbished and it was no longer allowed to cover them with dirt.

2 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

GotEvent gor the FIM/BSI a good offer. Ullevi, like friends is too big though and you sit quite far away from the track. Just like Cruyff arena and Stade de France are too big.

They also tried the Stockholm Olympic stadium in Stockholm for a while but it wasn't that successful and it's very old (>100 years).
The athletics track was refurbished and it was no longer allowed to cover them with dirt.

First Gp at ullevi was a success with about 41k people. Correct me if I’m wrong. Second one rained off without any rain, then Kaparna died and slowly the GP as well...

I see the original stadium used for the world final and other big meetings still exists,but is due to be demolished!!!Or has it been?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmö_Stadion

What is the fate of the other speedway stadium in Malmö?

Edited by iris123

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I see the original stadium used for the world final and other big meetings still exists,but is due to be demolished!!!Or has it been?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmö_Stadion

What is the fate of the other speedway stadium in Malmö?

They raced as Gnistorna  at the 2nd track- looks as if the track does training sessions and veteran events now.

Yes,that is the track I went to.Pretty basic,not world final quality and I think Ghostie told me it wasn't the track that held the WF in 1961.At least it still survives:t:

• Like 1