British Speedway Forum
james1234

Grand Prix Calendar and Venues 2019

5 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ON the contrary ... numbers are down because many fans are bored with places like Malilla, Krsko,Teterow and Hallstavik. Prague is very popular by contrast.

Is that speedway fans or tourists, as a fan I would rather watch good racing, than sit in a bar drinking cheap beer debating who gates best.

The GP's have lost their way and have become dull and stale, that is why numbers are down. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

Is that speedway fans or tourists, as a fan I would rather watch good racing, than sit in a bar drinking cheap beer debating who gates best.

The GP's have lost their way and have become dull and stale, that is why numbers are down. 

FANS ... as previously stated, racing at the Market is greatly improved. The whole package is terrific. 

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FANS ... as previously stated, racing at the Market is greatly improved. The whole package is terrific. 

I'm glad you enjoy it.

If it wasn't for the fast forward option on my tv viewing box I wouldn't even look at the GP's.

Each to his own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ON the contrary ... numbers are down because many fans are bored with places like Malilla, Krsko,Teterow and Hallstavik. Prague is very popular by contrast.

Shame for all involved.    I was hoping to visit a couple of GPs next year but the no airport / woodland venues do not interest me either.   But I'll see what price is charged, you never know.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I disagree. There was a good GP in Prague 2-3 years ago. Since then the GPs there have been the usual gating paradise. Vojens is basically the same. The track has lots of potential but the grading is usually super slick unless it has rained. 

• Like 1

Why no GP in Russia? 2 GP riders and a massive crowd for the SEC round a few years ago would seem a no brainer

1 hour ago, Ghostwalker said:

I disagree. There was a good GP in Prague 2-3 years ago. Since then the GPs there have been the usual gating paradise. Vojens is basically the same. The track has lots of potential but the grading is usually super slick unless it has rained. 

I was there this year, 2nd half of the meeting was Superb. Since about 2014/15 the racing in Prague has been very good.
Such a shame about Horsens that was a lovely stadium and there were some cracking GPs there. I hope they can find some nice new venues soon

2 hours ago, MARK246 said:

Cant say that is true. At most GPs there was som superb racing, there were a lot of big crowds this year,  BT are happy with it. Its not all doom and gloom. As much as many on here like to project... 

Edited by RPNY
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why no GP in Russia? 2 GP riders and a massive crowd for the SEC round a few years ago would seem a no brainer

Hoping the SON will be there. Stadium will be sold out for sure.

39 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Cant say that is true. At most GPs there was som superb racing, there were a lot of big crowds this year,  BT are happy with it. Its not all doom and gloom. As much as many on here like to project... 

Thats good to hear that BT are happy but they are not running the meetings.

The lack of venues is a problem, less and less people prepared to risk their money in BSI's product. If the crowds were big they could recoup their investment, but it doesn't happen often.

4 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

The lack of venues is a problem, less and less people prepared to risk their money in BSI's product. If the crowds were big they could recoup their investment, but it doesn't happen often.

That much I cant disagree with you...Im not sure what BSI's business plan but I cant help but feel the opportunity is there to target some new markets.

The Supercross over here have managed to do it. Some places they tried and failed but at least they gave it a go..

22 minutes ago, RPNY said:

The Supercross over here have managed to do it. Some places they tried and failed but at least they gave it a go..

Supercross is a younger sport, better suited to todays market.

The venue choices in speedway are limited, most tracks I have been too are "in fields with nothing around". 

Eskilstua had a near 9,000 crowd for the play off final, the GP was run there in the past, but never to that size of crowd. So the product doesn't attract support in numbers to make it pay 

23 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

Supercross is a younger sport, better suited to todays market.

The venue choices in speedway are limited, most tracks I have been too are "in fields with nothing around". 

Eskilstua had a near 9,000 crowd for the play off final, the GP was run there in the past, but never to that size of crowd. So the product doesn't attract support in numbers to make it pay 

Dont fully agree with you. Its marketed better and a little more eye catching with the jumps and stuff. But I went to events in Toronto and at MetLife Stadium (NY Jets/Giants) and the demographic was pretty much identical to that of GPs Ive been to. Nascar ditto for that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Hoping the SON will be there. Stadium will be sold out for sure.

Another bit of brain dead management to have SON in Russia.    The most difficlut place to get to for the huge majority of European fans and a terrible track for racing.

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

Another bit of brain dead management to have SON in Russia.    The most difficlut place to get to for the huge majority of European fans and a terrible track for racing.

Cant begrudge far off venues getting ONE event. They are also the reigning champions.Even the Champions league Final was in the Ukraine this year...