British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scorpions v Sheffield 27.07.2018 7.30pm

21 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

The forum is for people to air there views,  no matter if you believe they are being honest or warped, it's a point of view which we are all entitled to participate as long as it doesn't contain fowl language and is not of a threatening nature and you have to expect these comments as we are only human beings at the end of the day . 

Thanks.  I'll remember that and not talk about chickens again.

Your constant whingeing does get a bit tiring, although I largely ignore it.  Panthers are having a great season - just enjoy it!

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Thanks.  I'll remember that and not talk about chickens again.

Your constant whingeing does get a bit tiring, although I largely ignore it.  Panthers are having a great season - just enjoy it!

It's not whingeing, it's a point of view.

8 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Have you read this weeks SS. It explains the action taken for Friday fixtures.

Yes , read it ... next door neighbours ran out of toilet roll so I gave them it to use !

5 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

The forum is for people to air there views,  no matter if you believe they are being honest or warped, it's a point of view which we are all entitled to participate as long as it doesn't contain fowl language and is not of a threatening nature and you have to expect these comments as we are only human beings at the end of the day . 

I could not agree more, we all know Rob Godfrey wants what is best for British speedway, and the rest of the comments are just light hearted banter.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

It was also pretty cool to drive through, although at the same time there's an anxiety of what happens if the car gets stuck on the flooded roads or what if I pick up a puncture from one of these branches which are all across the road?

The annoying thing is that the weather forecast looked absolutely dreadful on Thursday night, but looked far, far better at around 3.30pm yesterday, which is why I set off.  Someone got that badly wrong.  The heavy showers were only supposed to come back at around 10pm.

Thankfully, I don't think the EWR had the worse of it, even though it tipped down enough to call off the meeting.

Such things are no joke.  Once came across a totyally unexpected flood around a blind bend I knew well, you can tell it's deep when twigs area at window level.  Don't reccomend flood driving but I knew the road rose up and it was literally a matter of life or death: arranging the funeral of a dear friend.  Punctures are quite rare but getting one can make one paranoid for a while afterwards.  Another time I discovered the 'hard way' what one does when copping one then a 2nd puncture in the middle of nowhere, 25 miles from civilisation, no mobile phone signal or call boxes.  Firstly one can drive for 12 miles at 10MPH on a 100% flat tyre thereby destroying it unitl one gets one glorious bar of phone signal.  Then one gives much praise and thanks to recovery service membership and the arrival of that lovely truck with the yellow flashing lites.  The funny bit was explaining to the car rental company how I destroyed 2 tyres: "because they went down".  I can look back with a tad amusment but both incedents were pretty stressful at the time.  If not already: join a recovery service.  Finally, like the majority I log on t'net and forums to share info and for fun, not to argue who is right and who is wrong.  Everyone is right: apart from actual facts it's all just opinions....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

16 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Have you read this weeks SS. It explains the action taken for Friday fixtures.

Yes it says Scunthorpe can't get good enough guests on a Friday so they are going to cancel the fixtures for the clubs that do not have Fridays as their primary race night even though we accepted those fixtures into the official, BSPA fixture list and registered them with the International Speedway League Calendar. It also says it's unacceptable for 10 of the 11 clubs to be in action on a Friday, unacceptable to whom? Does that mean only 50% of the league (any league) can only run on any given day of the week? Hopefully that includes Bank Holidays under this made up rule.

An explanation becomes justification a month after the event but it still doesn't alter the situation that 3 clubs have been disadvantaged to help 1 other, the Vice Chairman's although with Buster rapidly losing interest your man runs the show now. 

• Like 3

sounds like we need a clean broom through the offices of power.....but who would want the responsibility?...

I wish I had some answers to the problems..start again with a blank piece of paper might be best...forget the past...start from scratch as if it were a fledging new pastime able to take advantage of some existing sites previously used by something called Speedway..

When a side picks there race night the promoters should provisionally sit down and work the fixtures .At the beginning of the season Workington and Lakeside  were predominantly a Saturday side ,so with Glasgow,Edinburgh and Scunthorpe Friday sides this move is a correct one as injuries plus riders continental fixtures guests are always going to weaken sides . One final thing as sides are chasing the top four how many sides would be willing to cancel there away fixture at Workington when they are without there top 3 of Bewley,klindt etc and a national league guest ruling on two I think   , oh that will be Rob Godfrey in the interest of the sport allowed Workington to rearrange for another night ( some promoters aren't win at all costs)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whisperer said:

An explanation becomes justification a month after the event but it still doesn't alter the situation that 3 clubs have been disadvantaged to help 1 other, the Vice Chairman's although with Buster rapidly losing interest your man runs the show now.

Anyone genuinely losing interest in the sport in which they have a serious level of influence / control, should resign with immediate effect. That sport is in major decline and needs open-minded senior officers, Both the Chairman and Vice- Chairman should resign now " in the best interests of the sport".

Edited by waytogo28
typo

1 hour ago, Tosh1218 said:

When a side picks there race night the promoters should provisionally sit down and work the fixtures .At the beginning of the season Workington and Lakeside  were predominantly a Saturday side ,so with Glasgow,Edinburgh and Scunthorpe Friday sides this move is a correct one as injuries plus riders continental fixtures guests are always going to weaken sides . One final thing as sides are chasing the top four how many sides would be willing to cancel there away fixture at Workington when they are without there top 3 of Bewley,klindt etc and a national league guest ruling on two I think   , oh that will be Rob Godfrey in the interest of the sport allowed Workington to rearrange for another night ( some promoters aren't win at all costs)

Because it suited him too not withstanding the fixtures were properly arranged, scheduled and officially adopted by the BSPA. He has put his club first and why shouldn't he, he must always do the right thing for Scunthorpe Speedway. You don't need to defend him it's in black and white this week in the Speedway Star, what you are trying to do is mitigate the decision it's irrelevant there's no need, he along with his colleagues allowed Friday fixtures to be arranged and officially approved and they changed their minds 5 months later, simples. You can look forward to Sheffield, Leicester and maybe Kings Lynn visiting you once a month each 'cos everybody else will be shut if such critical decisions are based on self interest, what rule have Peterborough, Workington and Lakeside broken? Does anybody know?

• Like 1

.and in the same way that Scunthorpe may have done nothing to consider other teams then other teams do very little to consider the sport in the same way, when I think of occasions when promoters who ran on the same day used to work together to make certain that league championship deciding fixtures could run on the teams usual day rather than invoking the "we were in the league first" rule, do wonder where the collective willto help each other has gone. Scunthorpe hardly the only promotion who think little of the good of the sport as a whole but adopt the "eff you mate we are alright" style of co-operation, bearing in mind the fact that Scunthorpe have had a pretty awful year injury wise and are hardly going to win the league would it really do any harm for those teams, who if they ran would cause trying to find guests as being a real problem for Scunthorpe, to say we voluntarily will not stage meetings which would make the situation even worse without needing to be forced into not running that night. Invoking the "aren't Scunthorpe being selfish" line when the other clubs who were intending to run showed very little "esprit de corps" strikes me as being just a little blinkered.

Edited by tigerjak
correcting spelling