British Speedway Forum
Blackadder

Sheffield v Lakeside SGBCL 26/07/2018 @ 19.30

2 hours ago, RobHowe said:

I didn’t say that. I said winning everything every year would be boring.

What would be the point in turning up if you knew you were going to win everything?

I’d much rather watch Sheffield win by 2 points with a last heat decider than be 20 points up by heat 12 and watch the final few meaningless races.

Give me close, entertaining and competitive meetings every week, even if that means losing the odd one. 

there is no way that ever happens in speedway anyway.no club ever wins everything year in year out and it is very special when your club is doing well following numerous years without winning much.the problem is, if your team isn't winning anything then certain supporters enthusiasm starts to wain.i never mentioned that i wanted to see sheffield hammer teams week in week out, yes ,that would truly be not a good thing and i am all for close meetings with close racing, but given the nature of results, even losing a few meetings especially at home, means that it makes it v.difficult to even make the play offs.last season was fantastic if you were a sheffield supporter both home and away but we were never going to repeat that feat this season.

2 hours ago, RobHowe said:

Why is it not acceptable?

Would you,rather the club ran a series of potentially loss-making meetings at the end of the season just to keep everyone happy?

Obviously I’d much rather see speedway run as far into September as possible, but you can only work with the situation that you’ve got.

And as I’ve mentioned already had it not been for the incredible weather we’ve had over the past few months (six rained off meetings last year against just one this year) - not to mention progressing further in the Shield and the KOC - we WOULD be riding in September. In fact we could well be struggling for free Thursdays, meaning we’d be looking to ride on other days of the week and creating issues with rider availablilty, etc. No doubt people would have started complaining about that too. 

no, i wouldn't like to see the club run a series of potentially loss-making meetings and the fixture situation is not the clubs fault but the sooner the people that run the sport realise that they are killing it ,the better.as i mentioned before, continuity is what is needed, no as you said not particularly sheffield but most clubs, look at workington as an example.speedway is a sport where it has got to make the most of the weather as it is very weather orientated and to have long breaks for a lot of clubs given the weather has to be financial suicide even though as you pointed out they will still have the same amount of fixtures.when you also are trying your utmost to introduce new people to the sport and they take to it the first time they attend it is hard to explain that it might be another three weeks before they see another fixture and in that period their enthusiasm could well wane.this fixture situation needs to be resolved one way or another  or i do genuinely fear for the promoters.