British Speedway Forum
Blackadder

Sheffield v Lakeside SGBCL 26/07/2018 @ 19.30

1 minute ago, RobHowe said:

Sheffield has had too many free dates? Really?

How many have we had?

we have 6 free dates now because our season is effectively over.

44 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

so as city rebel has pointed out,one meeting at lakeside.you think thats acceptable then in a sport that is obviously struggling for new support.we faced the team second in the table and the crowd wasn't particularly that good.continuity is what is needed or indeed the sport will continue to struggle.

And aside from the two free Thursdays that I’ve mentioned Sheffield has had continuity all season long. 

1 minute ago, Moranboys said:

we have 6 free dates now because our season is effectively over.

And that’s speedway and sport in general for you when a Play-off system is operated.

Its disappointing that we most likely won’t make the Play-offs, but I’ve enjoyed this season. Granted it’s not been as good as last season, but you can’t win everything, every year. How boring would that be?

I’ll keep enjoying speedway at Sheffield and IF at some point in the future, as the doom and gloom merchants have been “predicting” for years, it ceases to run then, and only then, will I mourn it’s passing.

4 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

And aside from the two free Thursdays that I’ve mentioned Sheffield has had continuity all season long. 

only because we have been fortunate not to have too many rain offs.but season over by  23rd august not taking in the c.r.f is not acceptable.

2 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

And that’s speedway and sport in general for you when a Play-off system is operated.

Its disappointing that we most likely won’t make the Play-offs, but I’ve enjoyed this season. Granted it’s not been as good as last season, but you can’t win everything, every year. How boring would that be?

I’ll keep enjoying speedway at Sheffield and IF at some point in the future, as the doom and gloom merchants have been “predicting” for years, it ceases to run then, and only then, will I mourn it’s passing.

why would it be "boring" winning the league title again.so you found winning the pairs meeting again for the second year "boring".myself and my son were certainly not stood at the oak tree shouting for the other teams because we thought that it would be boring for the tigers to win it again.the best thing for you then would be for you to be a neutral and not support one particular team.

25 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Sheffield has had too many free dates? Really?

How many have we had?

Whoooooosh! Who you gonna race against when all the other clubs have shut?

24 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Have you completely missed the posts concerning the lack of fixtures for the rest of the league? Some of them have or will be going 4 weeks without a home meeting. At the height of the season when the best opportunity should be there to attract new customers. Don't worry, you're alright Jack carry on with the positive attitude then you can race Scunny and Leicester every other week.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tigerowl said:

Hammers got the gates sorted out towards the end of the meeting and fully deserved their win. There was no lack of effort from most of the team but one rider in particular didn't look interested if he didn't make the gate.

Would he be a rider that was recently sacked by Leicester (under the same promotion)? After heat six none of the Sheffield riders seemed to get a decent gate and when they did get away level with the Lakeside boys they just seemed to get blown away in the first/second bends. As has already been stated, the Hammers riders wanted it and adapted to the conditions whereas the majority of the Tigers just weren't up for it at all. So much for 'Onwards and Upwards' how disappointing.

So much for the new pairs Champions, the Lakeside pair did them 2 - 0 last night on their own shale!

7 hours ago, waco said:

Lack of continuity of meetings is one of the main reasons the promoters are killing the sport......

A bad situation made much worse by Rob Godfrey interfering with the fixture list and cancelling meetings.

• Like 3

Not a good meeting  crap to be honest sheffield did not want it poor from all the riders no disrespect to Morley but winning a race in 67 sec  and the Sheffield riders could not pass it s crap but good on  lakeside lads rode as a team and got the job done that's why they are near top the league and we are near the bottom 

value for money not a patch on the top gun event last week far better entertainment 

• Like 1

Agree, last weeks meeting was far more entertaining than last night but then the weather was a spoiler last night.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:34 PM, Whisperer said:

Have you completely missed the posts concerning the lack of fixtures for the rest of the league? Some of them have or will be going 4 weeks without a home meeting. At the height of the season when the best opportunity should be there to attract new customers. Don't worry, you're alright Jack carry on with the positive attitude then you can race Scunny and Leicester every other week.

Your original point was that it had been a stop start season at Sheffield. I don’t see how that has been the case given the very few Thursdays that we’ve not had a meeting on. Are you still saying that it has been?

As for other teams, I’m aware of that some them have had periods without a home meeting, but ultimately we will all have the same number of league meetings and we will all have a similar number of Shield and KOC meetings. So it’s not as if some teams will get considerably more meetings than others. 

Granted it’s not ideal to have periods without one, but ultimately every team will have a very similar number of home meetings. 

On 7/27/2018 at 1:12 PM, Moranboys said:

only because we have been fortunate not to have too many rain offs.but season over by  23rd august not taking in the c.r.f is not acceptable.

Why is it not acceptable?

Would you,rather the club ran a series of potentially loss-making meetings at the end of the season just to keep everyone happy?

Obviously I’d much rather see speedway run as far into September as possible, but you can only work with the situation that you’ve got.

And as I’ve mentioned already had it not been for the incredible weather we’ve had over the past few months (six rained off meetings last year against just one this year) - not to mention progressing further in the Shield and the KOC - we WOULD be riding in September. In fact we could well be struggling for free Thursdays, meaning we’d be looking to ride on other days of the week and creating issues with rider availablilty, etc. No doubt people would have started complaining about that too. 

On 7/27/2018 at 1:18 PM, Moranboys said:

why would it be "boring" winning the league title again.so you found winning the pairs meeting again for the second year "boring".myself and my son were certainly not stood at the oak tree shouting for the other teams because we thought that it would be boring for the tigers to win it again.the best thing for you then would be for you to be a neutral and not support one particular team.

I didn’t say that. I said winning everything every year would be boring.

What would be the point in turning up if you knew you were going to win everything?

I’d much rather watch Sheffield win by 2 points with a last heat decider than be 20 points up by heat 12 and watch the final few meaningless races.

Give me close, entertaining and competitive meetings every week, even if that means losing the odd one. 

1 minute ago, RobHowe said:

Your original point was that it had been a stop start season at Sheffield. I don’t see how that has been the case given the very few Thursdays that we’ve not had a meeting on. Are you still saying that it has been?

As for other teams, I’m aware of that some them have had periods without a home meeting, but ultimately we will all have the same number of league meetings and we will all have a similar number of Shield and KOC meetings. So it’s not as if some teams will get considerably more meetings than others. 

Granted it’s not ideal to have periods without one, but ultimately every team will have a very similar number of home meetings. 

Yes that's a fair point and I did feel like I was having a pop at you instead of the current situation, apologies. I am frustrated that yet again clubs are being run up to the cut off to get fixtures in and find it unacceptable that some clubs are declining fixtures in the full knowledge that denying the request contributes to a lack home fixtures, continuity and to get those crucial matches in that could see the requesting club make the play offs. Historically the BSPA have forced some clubs to accept re-arranged fixtures to complete the league programme, this year the same people have forced clubs to cancel fixtures that had been accepted and agreed leaving even bigger gaps and a complete disregard for; fans who had made plans, rider movements and progress with the competitions.

Whilst there may have been some justification in looking at fixtures it's been handled appallingly, significantly benefits 1 club and has been made by a committee made up of your Promoter, Leicester's Promoter (who works for your Promoter) and their best mate the Vice Chairman. That more than anything is a good enough reason to handle the matter sensitively and in the now famous "transparent and open way" promised.

• Like 1