British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Leicester v Poole Monday 30th July 2018 Prem B.

7 hours ago, Pinny said:

In all honesty, I would find it hard to not want to see Poole win the league. They were absolutely ridiculed at the start of the season with some poor results, trolled to high heaven by the usual suspects mainly Gavan and yet theyve made a few changes and now look like favourites to me. 

One thing I really dont understand, is how a fully grown adult in Gavan, can spend so much time on a thread that isnt even in the same league section as his club. Ipswich have been, all in all, rubbish this season so surely your expert opinion should be aired on their threads and not Poole ones?

Poole fans are no angels but the majority of their threads turn to rubbish because of the trolls like Gavan coming on and spouting nonsense. 

So just don't respond to him/them. Ignore. Easy!

13 minutes ago, Big Al said:

So just don't respond to him/them. Ignore. Easy!

I cant find that post of Pinnys you responded to, but that was the best post of his he's put up this season..:t:

Poole certainly look favourites at the moment but plenty can change between now and Play Offs.  Depends if other clubs have the resources to make the changes which could make the difference.

44 minutes ago, Nobblytriers said:

Well, just popped on here to see some kind of match report, how the racing was, how the riders were, what the crowd was like etc etc, and all I can find, for the most part, is 7 pages of people arguing, accusations of fiddling and one in particular slagging Leicester off.  As has been pointed out twice, Leicester's 1-5 were as good as Poole's, the difference was in the reserves.  If there's anyone out there with time and inclination to post something meaningful in relation to last nights meeting, I, for one, would much appreciate reading what you have to say.

Thanking you in advance  :t:

Because none of them went, they just brag from their armchairs.

1 hour ago, Nobblytriers said:

Well, just popped on here to see some kind of match report, how the racing was, how the riders were, what the crowd was like etc etc, and all I can find, for the most part, is 7 pages of people arguing, accusations of fiddling and one in particular slagging Leicester off.  As has been pointed out twice, Leicester's 1-5 were as good as Poole's, the difference was in the reserves.  If there's anyone out there with time and inclination to post something meaningful in relation to last nights meeting, I, for one, would much appreciate reading what you have to say.

Thanking you in advance  :t:

Considering the recent run of results the crowd was better than I expected although a bit lower than some in recent weeks. The racing, if you exclude heats 2 to 6, was half decent with Nicholls and Harris being the best riders on show. As has been said elsewhere the reserves made all the difference as they for most of the season. Robson & Wright tried hard but Mountain and Auty were not on the pace. Andersen had a bad start but picked up later on, presumably after he had changed his set up. Wells did all that could be expected of a number 2. All that Leicester fans can do now is hope for better things next season!

P.S. I should think that the crowd was less than a third of that at Poole when Leicester rode there last week.

Edited by Happy Hunter
extra information

Well that was an interesting trip to Leicester.

We arrived at Beaumont Leys shopping center at 6pm and went to get something to eat. Having experienced the unacceptable food at the stadium from the sole caterers last time, there was no way they were ever going to get a penny from me again, we though we would find a better solution at the center. Warning. Don’t go to the chippy! Bloody awful. I guess the caterers at the stadium trained there! Are there no decent places to get someting to eat in this area? Served anemic fish and chips and mushy peas. Utter crap.

Arriving at the stadium at 6.30 the car park full signs were out on the road so we swung around and managed to park on the road. A walk up and a few mins in a queue nd we were in the stadium. Mentioned in previous visits but no access to pits, and no view of riders before the meeting. A shame.

The meeting got away bang on time with the parade at 7.20. Take note other clubs. The centre green announcer was friendly and clear to hear. Even after five 1-5’s on the bounce he was still reasonably chirpy.

As for the meeting itself, well it really was one way traffic in the first half of the meeting as Poole powered away to leave Leicester reeling.  Even if we missed the start the lads were through down the back straight. Leicester had no answer to the onslaught. A sun break came to their rescue and in the second half they came out more determined and managed to stem the flow, but by then the damage had been done and the 4 points were on their way down south.

Decent crowd, who were clearly subdued after being hit hard early on. Racing wise there was a fair bit of passing. Worynas blast around Nicholls before Scott got him back, Harris’s two passes of Scott, Robsons passes of Josh and Freddie. Best meeting for passing I have actually seen at Leicester. Unlike the televised meeting three weeks ago, the gates were much more even as well.

I believe the 4 changes Leicester made to the team are clearly to save money. No more airfares for any riders, and riders like Robson, Auty, Mountain and Wright won’t be expensive. Nicholls would be grateful of a team berth after the demise of Rye meaning Hans the only rider costing a lump. Sensible from the Leicester management.

For Leicester.

Hans battled hard after a torrid first three rides.

Wells improved  inthe second half.

Wright struggled all night.

Auty was very poor.

Nicholls rode well and had three titanic battles.

Robson struggled but beat Kurtz.

A couple of people have said the Leicester 1-5 scored the same as Poole’s. The problem is teams have seven riders, not 5. The reserves (a silly name tbh) are part of the team.

For Poole.

Brady started like a rocket and was a fraction off the track record in heat one. (60.69, record is 60.63) But his two lasts, especially heat 11, was very poor.

Josh started poorly but then was solid.

Richie won by a mile or was tailed off.

Kacsper rode well in his first two, then ran a last and was replaced innheat 14.

Chris was pretty much sensational. Aggressive and fast and passed Nicholls twice on lap 3 in two heats.

Nicolai showed his liking to the track.

Freddie was excellent and only doed one point.

Pirates now up to third with three home meetings in hand. Kings Lynn next at home.

Mountain was out of his depth.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Because none of them went, they just brag from their armchairs.

Oh contraire, many of us went.

Au contraire, Rodney.  :)

Edited by DC2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Bateses are being prudent with their outlay I am sure, not wanting to throw silly money at it. I hope that assumptions being made that Leicester is in financial difficulty and at risk of "doing a Rye House" are well wide of the mark, personally I think and hope the priority is to keep being able to pay the riders what they are owed, and other suppliers. The team re-building certainly has a very strong cost-management feel to it, if only similar restraint had been exercised elsewhere in recent times, the league may not have got into such a mess.

However, I do also wonder if Leicester we're badly hit, financially, by Martin Vaculik's unfortunate early departure in terms of up-front money paid and not recoverable?

40 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well that was an interesting trip to Leicester

Mentioned in previous visits but no access to pits, and no view of riders before the meeting. A shame.

That's not going to help endear fans to the team. I can't recall this attitude at any other track.

• Like 1

Thanks to those who have posted information relevant to last nights meeting.  It's such a shame we have been ravaged by injury, the team looked very good at the start of the season.  It sounds as though the meeting was more entertaining than most this season and the extra dirt provided much need passing ... sadly by the opposition.

Yes Steve, we're all aware that there are 7 riders in a team.  If your Mr Klindt should move into the main 1-5 you may not have as much success as you are having now.

Thanks again all for your postings  :t:

Edited by Nobblytriers

24 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

We arrived at Beaumont Leys shopping center at 6pm and went to get something to eat. Having experienced the unacceptable food at the stadium from the sole caterers last time, there was no way they were ever going to get a penny from me again, we though we would find a better solution at the center. Warning. Don’t go to the chippy! Bloody awful. I guess the caterers at the stadium trained there! Are there no decent places to get someting to eat in this area? Served anemic fish and chips and mushy peas. Utter crap.

Arriving at the stadium at 6.30 the car park full signs were out on the road so we swung around and managed to park on the road. A walk up and a few mins in a queue nd we were in the stadium. Mentioned in previous visits but no access to pits, and no view of riders before the meeting. A shame.

The meeting got away bang on time with the parade at 7.20. Take note other clubs. The centre green announcer was friendly and clear to hear. Even after five 1-5’s on the bounce he was still reasonably chirpy.

As for the meeting itself, well it really was one way traffic in the first half of the meeting as Poole powered away to leave Leicester reeling.  Even if we missed the start the lads were through down the back straight. Leicester had no answer to the onslaught. A sun break came to their rescue and in the second half they came out more determined and managed to stem the flow, but by then the damage had been done and the 4 points were on their way down south.

Decent crowd, who were clearly subdued after being hit hard early on. Racing wise there was a fair bit of passing. Worynas blast around Nicholls before Scott got him back, Harris’s two passes of Scott, Robsons passes of Josh and Freddie. Best meeting for passing I have actually seen at Leicester. Unlike the televised meeting three weeks ago, the gates were much more even as well.

I believe the 4 changes Leicester made to the team are clearly to save money. No more airfares for any riders, and riders like Robson, Auty, Mountain and Wright won’t be expensive. Nicholls would be grateful of a team berth after the demise of Rye meaning Hans the only rider costing a lump. Sensible from the Leicester management.

For Leicester.

Auty was very poor.

A couple of people have said the Leicester 1-5 scored the same as Poole’s. The problem is teams have seven riders, not 5. The reserves (a silly name tbh) are part of the team.

For Poole.

Brady started like a rocket and was a fraction off the track record in heat one. (60.69, record is 60.63) But his two lasts, especially heat 11, was very poor.

Kacsper rode well in his first two, then ran a last and was replaced innheat 14.

Chris was pretty much sensational. Aggressive and fast and passed Nicholls twice on lap 3 in two heats.

Pirates now up to third with three home meetings in hand. Kings Lynn next at home.

Agree with all of that Steve, I arrived just as the first race left the tapes so great timing!

I certainly don't remember Chris Harris riding anything like his current level in the recent past so he will be a major plus in the coming weeks.

Kacper really surprised me getting past both Lions down the back straight, ok Scott got him back but very good ride.

Josh started slowly but seems to be riding better now.

Klindt is pretty awesome at this track, didn't have to perform the heroics of Poole's last meeting at Leicester but a good performance.

Fast Freddie was excellent, made Klindt  looked slow in heat 2, another plus going forward.

Brady and Richie very up and down.

For the Lions only Scott, Hans and Wells to a lesser degree turned up, the rest were pretty awful although Robson was unlucky to break down on the last lap when in second.

As for the local chippy, went there last time, worst chippy I have ever been to, asked for fishcake and chips because fishcake was ready in the cabinet but they had no chips and only started cooking when I placed my order, what chippy has to cook chips cooked to order!

I have eaten in the local pub before and I have to say it was pretty good, this time I was very late so didn't have time so had pie and chips in the stadium and I have to say it was not bad.

4 minutes ago, Nobblytriers said:

Thanks to those who have posted information relevant to last nights meeting.  It's such a shame we have been ravaged by injury, the team looked very good at the start of the season.  It sounds as though the meeting was more entertaining than most this season and the extra dirt provided much need passing ... sadly by the opposition.

Yes Steve, we're all aware that there are 7 riders in a team.  If your Mr Klidnt should move into the main 1-5 you may not have as much success as you are having now.

I think the way Woryna is riding lately we will be ok at reserve and Freddie is probably the best number 7 in the league.

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

For Leicester.

Auty was very poor.

For Poole.

When you get to the big roundabout over the A46, instead of turning right towards Beaumont Leys, go left to Anstey which is about a mile away. There's a car park tucked away behind a row of shops, and at least one decent "village chippy" plus Indian restaurants. Unfortunately, Beaumont Leys cuisine tends to cater for the preferences of the shopping centre users.

8 minutes ago, Nobblytriers said:

Yes Steve, we're all aware that there are 7 riders in a team.  If your Mr Klidnt should move into the main 1-5 you may not have as much success as you are having now.

Klindt replaces Woryna in the 1-5 for August.