British Speedway Forum
Normski

Berwick v Glasgow ( Championship ) 28-7-18. 7pm

4 minutes ago, sparks123 said:

Rory wasn't as good as usual but the same happens on all tracks.  He won the Open and top scored for his team in the celebration 4's at Edinburgh but only scored half a dozen points or so when Ipswich were there so why didn't he score more for his Ipswich team?

Despite the fact Glasgow could still have got a draw with 5-1's in the remaining heats they used their number 8 (who I am glad they used) so that says more about the Glasgow team manager than it says about a guest rider.

And therein lies the problem he is not a team manager he was a fan masquerading as a team manager, not his fault really he was never going to turn down the opportunity even though the lack of experience would always surface.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sparks123 said:

Rory wasn't as good as usual but the same happens on all tracks.  He won the Open and top scored for his team in the celebration 4's at Edinburgh but only scored half a dozen points or so when Ipswich were there so why didn't he score more for his Ipswich team?

Despite the fact Glasgow could still have got a draw with 5-1's in the remaining heats they used their number 8 (who I am glad they used) so that says more about the Glasgow team manager than it says about a guest rider.

Riders like Schlien are well paid for going through the motions,miss the gate and don't bother much as they might make the gate in the next one.

• Like 1

Welcome win for Berwick last night and surprising at the ease it was achieved as apart from Chris Harris the rest of the Glasgow team team were a major let down for them. Clearly its at reserve where Glasgow lost this, you can probably make an excuse for Jack Thomas at his stage of career but not Sarjeant in fact watching him last night I wonder why teams bother with him at all, very poor. Congratulations to Theo Pijper on his paid max, if only Berwick could find a point or two on their travels they could just about challenge for a play off spot, sadly I don`t see that happening so that leaves only two home meetings left though I hear that there could be one additional meeting at least in the form of an individual meeting for either junior riders ( Stars of tomorrow ) or more established riders ( Bordernaplis ).

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Riders like Schlien are well paid for going through the motions,miss the gate and don't bother much as they might make the gate in the next one.

Seems to be the way sadly

Don't remember the top boys of 15 years ago coming to Berwick and scoring 7 more like 16, 17. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, screm said:

Clearly its at reserve where Glasgow lost this, you can probably make an excuse for Jack Thomas at his stage of career but not Sarjeant in fact watching him last night I wonder why teams bother with him at all, very poor.

Yip, and we can hardly argue we didnt know what we were getting with Sarjeant at the start of the year. I think there was an element of trying to recreate the past when he got his average above 4 with us in 2015 and was decent at home. However you could have worked out pretty soon into the season that wasnt going to happen and on a starting average of 3.33 or whatever it was, it is almost impossible to find a replacement.

56 minutes ago, screm said:

Welcome win for Berwick last night and surprising at the ease it was achieved as apart from Chris Harris the rest of the Glasgow team team were a major let down for them. Clearly its at reserve where Glasgow lost this, you can probably make an excuse for Jack Thomas at his stage of career but not Sarjeant in fact watching him last night I wonder why teams bother with him at all, very poor. Congratulations to Theo Pijper on his paid max, if only Berwick could find a point or two on their travels they could just about challenge for a play off spot, sadly I don`t see that happening so that leaves only two home meetings left though I hear that there could be one additional meeting at least in the form of an individual meeting for either junior riders ( Stars of tomorrow ) or more established riders ( Bordernaplis ).

Not a Sarjeant fan but his 3 race wins on Friday cost Berwick some away Points,its a bit like watching Dany G at Edin and Newcastle .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MD said:

Yip, and we can hardly argue we didnt know what we were getting with Sarjeant at the start of the year. I think there was an element of trying to recreate the past when he got his average above 4 with us in 2015 and was decent at home. However you could have worked out pretty soon into the season that wasnt going to happen and on a starting average of 3.33 or whatever it was, it is almost impossible to find a replacement.

good ole sarj . why didnt Glasgow take notice of his scores from the previous season @ worky ?

he said he was going to double his average in 2018. well double of 0  is just that, 0 .   time to find a day job !

38 minutes ago, concessionscol said:

lollol money cant buy you love

It can on plenty of fish.com.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Now thats a comment I accept as a valid opinion as opposed to one claiming he cost Glasgow the match

It is a trait that appears more common now than ever before although Im sure it has always happened to an extent

Got to be honest I expected a closer meeting but heat 9 was worth the admission alone, great to see Jye controlling the race

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Not a Sarjeant fan but his 3 race wins on Friday cost Berwick some away Points,its a bit like watching Dany G at Edin and Newcastle .

Giving the career he has had Sarjeant should be a trump card at reserve for Glasgow, signed on a low average and still on a low average would suggest he has had a lot more meetings like last night rather than Friday night. He will end the season on a low average oddly making him an attractive signing for someone next season, so his underachievement for Glasgow will give him employment for someone else, only in speedway. 

Just now, screm said:

Giving the career he has had Sarjeant should be a trump card at reserve for Glasgow, signed on a low average and still on a low average would suggest he has had a lot more meetings like last night rather than Friday night. He will end the season on a low average oddly making him an attractive signing for someone next season, so his underachievement for Glasgow will give him employment for someone else, only in speedway. 

That's the problem with averages,they keep lowering them making riders like Sarjeant  popular,averages are not the way forward IMO.Nothing will change though.!

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

That's the problem with averages,they keep lowering them making riders like Sarjeant  popular,averages are not the way forward IMO.Nothing will change though.!

I much prefer the rolling averages though that are worked out over a longer period rather than the month to month ones that are open to abuse as we have seen in the past. Take your point with averages though, but I don`t see another system that is at least as good/bad as we have now. Lowering the team averages will only lead to the top riders losing out, making riders like Sarjeant etc even more attractive.