British Speedway Forum
Normski

Berwick v Glasgow ( Championship ) 28-7-18. 7pm

I think we get it - you used to go, you don't now and believe that you have the right to consider anyone who doesn't agree with you as a bit of a prat - point is that's a two-way street.

It's a shame you don't go any more but I suppose the club just needs to find one person to replace you and it's status quo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Dodds said:

I think we get it - you used to go, you don't now and believe that you have the right to consider anyone who doesn't agree with you as a bit of a prat - point is that's a two-way street.

It's a shame you don't go any more but I suppose the club just needs to find one person to replace you and it's status quo.

It's a bit of a struggle to find that person though to keep the status quo.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

It's a bit of a struggle to find that person though to keep the status quo.

always has been, always will be - it's not a struggle unique to Berwick or speedway. I used to follow Newcastle United home and away, I haven't been to a game for 20 years and can't even be bothered to watch Match of the Day to be honest - they found someone to replace me, - and 20,000 more to boot. Life goes on. One of speedway's traditional problems has been the assumption that fans will keep on coming. Better to assume that you start each week from zero and try to build a crowd from scratch.

While it would be nice to think that old fans could be tempted back the truth is many of them yearn for a heyday which is pure invention anyway, the era of 13 races and a second half when each race had all four riders passing and re-passing on every bend and straight from green light to chequered flag. 

• Like 1

Like you say life goes ,but I'm afraid your comparison to Newcastle United is naive and not comparable to speedway in general.You seem to take the same view as your fellow "dirt" columnist Mr Barrie regarding "old" fans saying we really need to forget about them and we need to look to the future attracting new fans and intimating we have everything in place with our " children go free" in place hoping to convert them in later years which is excellent ,unfortunately IMO the problem is who pays the riders for next 6-8-10 years till these children start paying at the gate, if they stick around .Also a lot of the missing fans in recent season were not the "die-hards" yearning for the " heydays" but people who no longer think the entertainment value does match the cost.I have attended Berwick since it opened in 1968 and still see most of that generation that are still with us and their families still on the terraces ,the bottom line is we are not attracting a new generation of Adults.Speedway is in difficult place and most of the problems are discussed on various forums, unfortunately it is just social media and will not solve anything.It is up to the sports Governing bodies to sort it out.Unfortunatly IMO they are struggling.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Like you say life goes ,but I'm afraid your comparison to Newcastle United is naive and not comparable to speedway in general.You seem to take the same view as your fellow "dirt" columnist Mr Barrie regarding "old" fans saying we really need to forget about them and we need to look to the future attracting new fans and intimating we have everything in place with our " children go free" in place hoping to convert them in later years which is excellent ,unfortunately IMO the problem is who pays the riders for next 6-8-10 years till these children start paying at the gate, if they stick around .Also a lot of the missing fans in recent season were not the "die-hards" yearning for the " heydays" but people who no longer think the entertainment value does match the cost.I have attended Berwick since it opened in 1968 and still see most of that generation that are still with us and their families still on the terraces ,the bottom line is we are not attracting a new generation of Adults.Speedway is in difficult place and most of the problems are discussed on various forums, unfortunately it is just social media and will not solve anything.It is up to the sports Governing bodies to sort it out.Unfortunatly IMO they are struggling.

I will simplify this, I get as much entertainment following speedway on updates, as I do in attending Shielfield Park this season, it is a sad indictment when old die hards like me can TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT, in entertainment value.  Something serious needs to occur before it's total demise , a good start would be to strip Promoters from the decision making, everything set by an independent group.

• Like 1

When you read about the goings on at some meetings this season up and down the Country you get the feeling speedway isn`t dying more committing suicide. 

• Like 1