British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

2019 One big league will it happen.?

This year speedway in the UK has hit a alltime low can it recover what would you do.?My opinion is one big league has to happen personally i dont think it will but it has to happen in my opinion.It would be great to be able to get at least 20 home meetings a year unlike now where sometimes we have had 1 meeting in five weeks.I would have a rule where 2 young brits go at reserve  so  therefore the clubs now have to live within there means meaning  the likes of Doyley will have to be a thing of the past.

Sadly I think it will happen, quite possibly the last nail required to ensure that coffin is finally sealed shut with yet more supporters turning their back on the sport.

• Like 2

I would prefer one big league.More variety more matches.People like continuity and therefore matches most weeks.At Lynn we have had gaps of 5 weeks,supporters don't want that.Some Elite league snobs knock the championship but you get as good racing in that as the top league.Actually it's probably better.So what we may lose a few riders,and it would only be a few but I think it would bring a few more fans back imo

• Like 4

Can somebody provide an accurate figure illustrating the actual number of riders who have/are racing in the top two uk divisions so far during 2018. 

Then if you take this number and divide it by 9 (to allow for riders retired/injured/racing abroad/other reasons for not being available etc) then we would have fairly accurate idea of how many teams we could have in one league. 

This approach assumes we would still have those top riders like Doyley but there clearly would be a massive gulf in class between a teams number 1 and it’s number 7. 

If you want to remove the current top guys then you need to subtract 10 from the number of riders currently riding (the first number I referred to)

That also assumes the 'one league' option will have 7-rider teams?!

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Think we’d need National League riders to make the teams up to 7 riders and another problem is rider income take Chris Harris for example he curently rides for Poole and Glasgow I’d have thought one big league would mean less meetings for double up riders ,one big league is a good idea though it has been done before and failed but speedway is on its knees compared to when it was last tried . 

Even if enough riders could be found this needs to be done properly so that each team starts the season with a competitive team, not like the mess of 1995. 

I like the idea of regular and varied fixtures with local derbies again but it needs to be done properly.....no confidence that the current crop of promoters could achieve that unfortunately.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Good point. However, start with what we currently have as the first assumption and if that does not look right/won’t work then explore other options. 

18 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Can somebody provide an accurate figure illustrating the actual number of riders who have/are racing in the top two uk divisions so far during 2018. 

Then if you take this number and divide it by 9 (to allow for riders retired/injured/racing abroad/other reasons for not being available etc) then we would have fairly accurate idea of how many teams we could have in one league. 

This approach assumes we would still have those top riders like Doyley but there clearly would be a massive gulf in class between a teams number 1 and it’s number 7. 

If you want to remove the current top guys then you need to subtract 10 from the number of riders currently riding (the first number I referred to)

150 were listed in 2017, so there are plenty. For every rider that retires or doesn’t return new ones have come in.

Every team should be required to have a young Brit at reserve on a proper average.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that a 14 strong semi-pro league had been mooted already? The other teams would run at CL level with no double up / down and no fixture clashes. Might save the sport or rather delay its demise. Might not if nothing else much changes like processional chasing in 75% of heats and poor track preparation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Haza said:

Think we’d need National League riders to make the teams up to 7 riders and another problem is rider income take Chris Harris for example he curently rides for Poole and Glasgow I’d have thought one big league would mean less meetings for double up riders ,one big league is a good idea though it has been done before and failed but speedway is on its knees compared to when it was last tried . 

Oh no it didn't (fail) - amalgamation of National League and Provincial League was very much a success

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

There are several tracks running at a big loss and likely to close, so there'll be likely to be a number of riders spare, even accounting for stopping doubling up.

Edited by foamfence

2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Oh no it didn't (fail) - amalgamation of National League and Provincial League was very much a success

It was great and very much the saviour of the sport.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

150 were listed in 2017, so there are plenty. For every rider that retires or doesn’t return new ones have come in.

Every team should be required to have a young Brit at reserve on a proper average.

Riders retiring/none returnees are for the majority replaced by lower class riders or expensive/untried imports. Whilst neither are totally bad it does represent a higher attrition rate of 2 riders per club per year so dividing the 150 by 10 means we could at a stretch field 15 teams in one league. Assuming the current top riders are included