British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

2019 One big league will it happen.?

16 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I league cannot be any worse than what we are watching now irrespective of who competes in it IMO.Track prep and technology need to be sorted out.( same old problems every year).Some Promotions have to  be struggling on the crowds I have witnessed at tracks I have visited.No doubt the AGM will resolve everything:rolleyes:

And no doubt it will be heralded as "the most important AGM for many years," and then, as you hint, sod all will be done except maybe bring back the Green helmet colour....

• Like 1

Assuming that promoters would only be allowed to have an interest in one club in the "Big League" how many clubs are likely to be affected by a promoter having to give up his rights at one or more clubs AKA the Bates family at Sheffield & Leicester?

1 minute ago, 1 valve said:

Assuming that promoters would only be allowed to have an interest in one club in the "Big League" how many clubs are likely to be affected by a promoter having to give up his rights at one or more clubs AKA the Bates family at Sheffield & Leicester?

why would you have to assume that, there have been instances in the past with Promoters have been involved in more than 1 club has there not ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

why would you have to assume that, there have been instances in the past with Promoters have been involved in more than 1 club has there not ?

Current rule is that a promoter cannot have an interest in two or more clubs in the same league.

19 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Current rule is that a promoter cannot have an interest in two or more clubs in the same league.

Speedway Rules!! Your having a laugh, sure sub clause 58 j . " best interest of the sport " would sort that one out.:D

Edited by Fromafar

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Speedway Rules!! Your having a laugh, sure sub clause 58 j . " best interest of the sport would sort "that one out.:D

Not sure if you are just having a laugh - and happy to laugh with you at some of the rules currently in situ within speedawy

But just in case there is a serious side to your post:

How long would it be before a promoter who had an interest in two clubs was accused of showing favouritism to one of his clubs over the other or using both clubs to manipulate an outcome to the detriment of another club?

So in the best interest of the sport, circumstances which could give rise to the above should be avoided.

15 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Not sure if you are just having a laugh - and happy to laugh with you at some of the rules currently in situ within speedawy

But just in case there is a serious side to your post:

How long would it be before a promoter who had an interest in two clubs was accused of showing favouritism to one of his clubs over the other or using both clubs to manipulate an outcome to the detriment of another club?

So in the best interest of the sport, circumstances which could give rise to the above should be avoided.

Admittedly a bit " tongue in cheek" but in this sport likely to happen if nessessary !

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Admittedly a bit " tongue in cheek" but in this sport likely to happen if nessessary !

Nothing should come as a surprise where UK speedway is concerned.

In any case it looks like only the Bates family affected, so only Sheffield/Leicester would need sorting.

36 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Speedway Rules!! Your having a laugh, sure sub clause 58 j . " best interest of the sport " would sort that one out.:D

Blame Colin Horton for that one! 

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

This year speedway in the UK has hit a alltime low can it recover what would you do.?My opinion is one big league has to happen personally i dont think it will but it has to happen in my opinion.It would be great to be able to get at least 20 home meetings a year unlike now where sometimes we have had 1 meeting in five weeks.I would have a rule where 2 young brits go at reserve  so  therefore the clubs now have to live within there means meaning  the likes of Doyley will have to be a thing of the past.

should happen not 1 league but 2 north and south with the top 2 from each league going into the playoffs

as a lakeside fan I do like to go away as much as possible but this year I have no chance as 80 % of the teams

are 4/5 hours plus away so no real chance if it is a north and south league I think you would get far more away fans

at each meeting helping clubs out no end but it wont happen as the powers that be are totally cluless

you could also  still have  cups  1 within the 2 leagues and 1 big one with all teams like the Fa cup.

will not hold my breath though.

• Like 1

But how will the hordes of new fans hear all about the delights of this one big league? Twitter or Facebook as the BSPA believed the future punters were to be found - patiently waiting for the Big Shout Out. " We are ready and waiting for you" Roll Up, Roll Up. pay your nice £20 notes to the lady - no change but here's'a  free racecard.

30 minutes ago, HAMMER180 said:

should happen not 1 league but 2 north and south with the top 2 from each league going into the playoffs

as a lakeside fan I do like to go away as much as possible but this year I have no chance as 80 % of the teams

are 4/5 hours plus away so no real chance if it is a north and south league I think you would get far more away fans

at each meeting helping clubs out no end but it wont happen as the powers that be are totally cluless

you could also  still have  cups  1 within the 2 leagues and 1 big one with all teams like the Fa cup.

will not hold my breath though.

With the exception of Belle Vue, you could argue that the Premiership is a Southern League anyway, add to that, you could argue the Championship is a Northern League, with the exception of Peterborough (?), Ipswich and Lakeside.

• Like 2

Just a couple of observations. The 1965 and 1995 amalgamations were very different. In the 60s it was done very much on the terms of the lower (Provincial) league with a concerted effort to make all teams as equal as possible. Can never be totally achieved of course but they were close enough to provide a 17 team league fixture list. Result was a golden era for the sport. 

The 90s one was much more of a “survival of the fittest” effort. Result was an immediate loss of some tracks and a gradual decline in general. 

As regards promoters having ties to more than one track, this was never a problem for many years. Mike Parker and Reg Fearman both operated three tracks in the same league, the Knotts operated Poole at the same time as Southampton and then Newport. Then there was the Allied Promoters organisation which operated a number of tracks in each of the two leagues that then existed. 

Big point to make about them all though is that they were run as businesses that needed other successful tracks were needed to make a healthy league. Today’s win at all costs attitude is completely different. 

As I said just observations from someone who would love to see a proper full season of weekly fixtures against teams of similar strength. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

That also assumes the 'one league' option will have 7-rider teams?!

I have heard 5. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I have heard 5. 

You mean you read 5..On here..