British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

2019 One big league will it happen.?

13 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Riders retiring/none returnees are for the majority replaced by lower class riders or expensive/untried imports. Whilst neither are totally bad it does represent a higher attrition rate of 2 riders per club per year so dividing the 150 by 10 means we could at a stretch field 15 teams in one league. Assuming the current top riders are included  

That wouldn’t be my calculation, but I’ll let you run with it if you insist! :)

15 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Riders retiring/none returnees are for the majority replaced by lower class riders or expensive/untried imports. Whilst neither are totally bad it does represent a higher attrition rate of 2 riders per club per year so dividing the 150 by 10 means we could at a stretch field 15 teams in one league. Assuming the current top riders are included  

I. was thinking without the likes of Doyley/Iversen riding these two teams as examples shows the level of rider we will have.   - Poole 1.Kurtz. 2.Starke           3.J.Holder.  4. Klindt           5.Jacobsen.    6.Lidsey??  7.Jenkins.    -    Ipswich.  1.King.  2.  Heeps            3.  Schlein          4.Covatti.      5.H.Andersen.   6.Hume.    7.Kemp.

In ‘97 in think, we ran teams with a blank in the main team. The other four members took the rides similar to R/R. If we operated this again it would ease the rider shortage worries some have, keep the standard up and address the drop in earning that will inevitably occur, as in essence every four meeting would be equivalent to five in term of rides taken. 

The problem you have is if R/R was required. I’ll have to dig out the programmes from that year to see what went on or maybe someone could add to the discussion. 

I also think we should use NL riders at reserve with protected heats but this time get the averages weighted correctly to properly reflect their ability and no moving out of that position all season ( like the Poles).

6 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

I'm surprised it's taken so long

When CVS was Chairman, he used to be against the one big league idea from what I remember.

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

Oh no it didn't (fail) - amalgamation of National League and Provincial League was very much a success

That may we’ll have been the case but I’m talking about the one big league of 1990s 

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I. was thinking without the likes of Doyley/Iversen riding these two teams as examples shows the level of rider we will have.   - Poole 1.Kurtz. 2.Starke           3.J.Holder.  4. Klindt           5.Jacobsen.    6.Lidsey??  7.Jenkins.    -    Ipswich.  1.King.  2.  Heeps            3.  Schlein          4.Covatti.      5.H.Andersen.   6.Hume.    7.Kemp.

I think the likes of Andersen, Schlein, Kurtz and Holder will have to be number ones shared around the sixteen or so teams.

Assuming Doyle, Iversen and Thorsell have foreign commitments, Cook, Fricke, Masters, Morris, Batchelor, Lambert,    Grajczonek, Musielak, Harris, Nicholls and Steve Worrall could be other number ones.

Edited by DC2

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

iT appears to be the favoured option amongst promoters at the moment

How disappointing. :cry:

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

150 were listed in 2017, so there are plenty. For every rider that retires or doesn’t return new ones have come in.

Every team should be required to have a young Brit at reserve on a proper average.

Quite a few of those listed aren’t good enough or would want to ride in one big league from the National league.

as I’ve always maintained it would be a struggle to fill all team spots with ‘suitable standard’ riders. 

Obviously you would have to have knowledge of the National league and Development leagues to know how many would be able to deal with a higher level standard. Thankfully there are some great young riders that will always develop well whatever  league standards are set.

5 hours ago, Haza said:

Think we’d need National League riders to make the teams up to 7 riders and another problem is rider income take Chris Harris for example he curently rides for Poole and Glasgow I’d have thought one big league would mean less meetings for double up riders ,one big league is a good idea though it has been done before and failed but speedway is on its knees compared to when it was last tried . 

And if you remember rightly, back in the early 70's we had 18+ side s in the top league. Now, in those days if you had for example Ivan Mauger Ole Olsen Anders michenek Barry Briggs coming to your home meeting you have to go, otherwise you will not see them for the rest of the season unless they ride in an open meeting ie in our case the Blue Riband.
Nowadays you miss the top boys, whats left of them and you think, oh well, they will be back in 4 weeks. We need tro get back to the above, but we also need to keep the play off's.
We also need a fair team building average, and  all teams have to use either 1-2  wobblers. they also still needs to be an academy league ran by Vatch and co. We still need to bring the kids on and make our own top riders of the future. Thing is, if they get good enough Poland will want to poach them, how do you stop that. IMO they choose one or the other.. Times have changed, and we have to change with it..
We should still have a british final, and the winner goes to Cardiff as a wlid card. But other than that they have to make choises, we carry no passengers anymore, clubs cannot afford to..
First things first, we need to get shot of that person at the top of the management comittee..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

That should worry everyone for a start then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Unlike in 1965 we have riders performing in both leagues so team equalisation will be a problem but not impossible.

Start with 5 riders to an agreed combined average then have a pool of NL riders that teams could pick from to fulfill meetings.

Certain NL riders will be a problem (Drew Kemp) so he may need to be moved up into the main body of the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

How many of the Promoters?

If it was to be one league (whatever daft name they would come up with) I can see quite a few current Championship clubs closing, as they wouldn't be able to afford a top liner rider at number 1 (some can't afford one now).

1 hour ago, ouch said:

In ‘97 in think, we ran teams with a blank in the main team. The other four members took the rides similar to R/R. If we operated this again it would ease the rider shortage worries some have, keep the standard up and address the drop in earning that will inevitably occur, as in essence every four meeting would be equivalent to five in term of rides taken. 

The problem you have is if R/R was required. I’ll have to dig out the programmes from that year to see what went on or maybe someone could add to the discussion. 

I also think we should use NL riders at reserve with protected heats but this time get the averages weighted correctly to properly reflect their ability and no moving out of that position all season ( like the Poles).

1995 & 1996 were the years of one big league (1997 was 6 man teams in the Premier/2nd Division). 

Middlesbrough used the 'blank R/R' rule all season in 1996 when Shane Parker was the number 1.  There was a supplementary rule brought in for the R/R for the invisible man.

3 minutes ago, GWC said:

Unlike in 1965 we have riders performing in both leagues so team equalisation will be a problem but not impossible.

Start with 5 riders to an agreed combined average then have a pool of NL riders that teams could pick from to fulfill meetings.

Certain NL riders will be a problem (Drew Kemp) so he may need to be moved up into the main body of the team.

Why do teams have to be so equal all the time though?

In a 1975 Swindon programme they once showed the team averages for all the team at the start of the year, and they ranged from around 52 down to about 39. And nobody complained then about teams not being equal.

• Like 1

The British League of 1965 was a great success, though as a Hammer I am biased.

• Haha 1

I league cannot be any worse than what we are watching now irrespective of who competes in it IMO.Track prep and technology need to be sorted out.( same old problems every year).Some Promotions have to  be struggling on the crowds I have witnessed at tracks I have visited.No doubt the AGM will resolve everything:rolleyes: