British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Kings Lynn Vs Somerset: TV meeting : Mon 30-07-2018

1 hour ago, Star Lady said:

I don't disagree that there were some dire matches in the "olden days". However there was almost always extra races, either 2nd halves, Golden Helmet races, junior matches. Quite often 2 of the above and very occasionally if you were lucky, you got all three. So even if there wasn't loads of overtaking the perception was better value for money.

They were also on a Saturday night in King’s Lynn’s case, a much better night for added extras ......

• Like 5

13 hours ago, tellboy said:

I don't disagree neither about all the extras you got back then.But most people put on here about the racing being crap,when it was pretty much the same back in the good old days.Only difference was it being better attended.

Its difficult to make comparisons of yesterday year, as the sport today is so different.   The racing now is much faster, with these high revving engines, whereas before, the engines had more bottom end torque  (power)  .   The effect of this means the high revving engines have to keep their throttles wide open,  once they shut off they lose all their momentum.   The old bikes had far more usable power, when shutting off wasn't  a problem.  It enabled races to be more competitive, where riders raced closer to each other.   I cant remember many races being too spread out ,   like a lot of races are today...

1 minute ago, g13webb said:

Its difficult to make comparisons of yesterday year, as the sport today is so different.   The racing now is much faster, with these high revving engines, whereas before, the engines had more bottom end torque  (power)  .   The effect of this means the high revving engines have to keep their throttles wide open,  once they shut off they lose all their momentum.   The old bikes had far more usable power, when shutting off wasn't  a problem.  It enabled races to be more competitive, where riders raced closer to each other.   I cant remember many races being too spread out ,   like a lot of races are today...

That's my memory of years gone by too and not through rose tinted spectacles. It was much more unpredictable ( especially for the minor places ) and a lot of great races resulted.  Now it is over in 150 metres ( halfway through the first lap ) and very strung out and boring for 75% of the time. So boring that I am ready to walk away and don't feel that I would miss it much.

• Like 1

Best you take a look on youtube from meetings back in the day.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 12:43 PM, Daniel Smith said:

I don't think Pearson can't go a single league meeting on BT without mentioning Woffinden.

Isn't he Woofindens PR man ?

2 hours ago, woofers said:

Isn't he Woofindens PR man ?

I believe so, if he’s not he’s doing a bloody good job!

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Best you take a look on youtube from meetings back in the day.

I don't need to look at YouTube,   I'm well aware of the changes of the bikes and the racing.      Its very hard to be exact with any  conclusion but the memories are clear in ones mind.   Usually,  the meeting lasted 22 races,   of those,  probably 50%  were won from the gate.   but even then the majority were closely contested.   of cause there were some that were spaced out, but nowhere the number of todays meeting.   

We only have 15 races now, and as many as 80 or 90% are won from the gate.    As many as  50% of the races are spaced out, and this is all to do with  the characteristics of todays engines.     We now have a sport where the machine ( bike) is more important than the rider,     Years ago, a class rider could win on virtually anybody's machine... not any more. 

Two entirely different  scenarios....   I don't need YouTube  to realise  that.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

I don't need to look at YouTube,   I'm well aware of the changes of the bikes and the racing.      Its very hard to be exact with any  conclusion but the memories are clear in ones mind.   Usually,  the meeting lasted 22 races,   of those,  probably 50%  were won from the gate.   but even then the majority were closely contested.   of cause there were some that were spaced out, but nowhere the number of todays meeting.   

We only have 15 races now, and as many as 80 or 90% are won from the gate.    As many as  50% of the races are spaced out, and this is all to do with  the characteristics of todays engines.     We now have a sport where the machine ( bike) is more important than the rider,     Years ago, a class rider could win on virtually anybody's machine... not any more. 

Two entirely different  scenarios....   I don't need YouTube  to realise  that.....

Quite a few tracks now have MDL racing after the 15 heats making it 21.

• Like 1