British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Kings Lynn. Prem B. 1st August 2018

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

Robert Lambert has asked to be stood down from Team GB on Saturday due to suffering fatigue!

After back and forth to Sweden today/tomorrow plus the added pressure of being the new Number 1 for August, it'll be interesting how he does at Wimborne Road on Wednesday.

Poole won 58-32 back in June when they hadn't started reaching any form at that point.;);) 

That’s P poor.

Not quite the whole story.....he already had a short holiday booked on a rare blank weekend for him and feels he needs that break. Not ideal but understandable considering all the meetings he has done this year in various competitions.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not sure why all the waffle on here about a meeting called off years ago. The track had an ongoing issue with that area of track right up to last winter when the whole lot was dug up and relaid. Track is now in good order.

On to this meeting and am very much looking forward to it. Should be a real battle and excited to see Lambert v Kurtz and Harris.  Newman at reserve? Will want to do well in front of his local club.

But with Woryna and Jakobsen at 6 and 7 he will have his work cut out. Be suprised if S Lambert troubles the scorers.

Weather set fair and a big crowd expected. 

To be honest, IMO, Kuurtz is no match for Lambert, particularly in 13 & 15, even round Poole, but hope I'm proved wrong

2 hours ago, ray c said:

This could be a very good meeting on Wednesday I think we will win our reserves will out class Newman and Lambert will be the key looking forward to it onward and upward :cheers:

Kyle looked lacking in confidence to me . .I expect much the same at your gaff. Comfy win for the Pirates in this one for me, with reserves scores similar if not wider than the 18 points to 3 yours scored against the Lions.

Poole are looking very strong at the right time and will take some stopping now. 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Not quite the whole story.....he already had a short holiday booked on a rare blank weekend for him and feels he needs that break. Not ideal but understandable considering all the meetings he has done this year in various competitions.

Remember back in 82' Mike Lee had planned a break only for the BSPA to insist a golden Helmet clash.    He refused to ride and got fined and banned....   

What Changes  ?????

I was only five then so no can't remember that!

In this case it's a hastliy arranged test match and the situation has been handled sensibly. If it had been in the calendar all along thst would be a different matter.

• Like 1

Except this ain't the BSPA, should've given everyone more notice of the possible dates of the meeting imo....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Some peole just like to pick out the negative :o

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It 's amazing how some people get the wrong story and have to post it on here(Skidder 1:nono:).I heard a couple of weeks ago about the situation.He'd booked a holiday as you say it was a rare 5-6 days off for the lad.Then they arrange a test match pretty much at the last minute and expect Lambert to ride in it.

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That’s P poor.

What's P poor having arranged a holiday as he didn't have any matches to ride in:blink:

if robert(probably for the first time this season)has 5 days with no bookings i think hes probably entitled to go away and have a break

• Like 1

7 hours ago, g13webb said:

Wow.. hang on there.      this was predetermined act because Poole had riders missing.    There were no crowds let in  the doors were shut. only a few of us manged to get through he pit gate,  to see the mess that had been created.   

At least when calling the meeting off a day early, you stop fans the unnecessary  time,  and  expense  that we incurred that day...

It’s history but for what it is worth. As it was Nicklas Porsing and myself who first walked the track at Poole that day and discovered a hole in the 1st bend at about 5pm. I would like to point out unbiased facts. We walked the track from pit gate anti clockwise until we got to bend 1, Nick toed the track as he had done throughout the walk. The track looked normal but as he toed it, the track gave way easily. More toeing of the track in that area and the track broke up to a gravel base. We reported this and other Lynn riders and Rob Lyon who had arrived came and looked at it. Poole management were informed. On Busters arrival he discussed how the track could be easily repaired with a tractor bucket full of shale, but was informed that there was no shale available. I remember someone from Poole suggested putting down old engine oil to bind the track in that area. But this idea was dismissed. From what I saw of the track we had no reason to think this was deliberate, just general poor track maintenance and astonishment that there was no spare shale available. We drove back to Norfolk and made 2 further trips to Poole in pouring rain, only to be told meeting was off on our arrival each time. Unfortunately when meeting did take place Nick was unable to ride due to a Polish team play off commitment. I think at this first meeting Poole did have a depleted team and Lynn were favourites. But I heard no mention within the Lynn team of any under hand tactics, just disappointment that the meeting couldn’t go ahead. 

One would have thought the opportunity to represent your country in an international test match outweighed any short holiday. The first thing I would have done is cancel the break and look forward to being in TeamGB.

Guess being patriotic isn’t what it once was.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

5 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

One would have thought the opportunity to represent your country in an international test match outweighed any short holiday. The first thing I would have done is cancel the break and look forward to being in TeamGB.

If he rode for Poole you'd think it was ok.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Yes i'm sure you would:blink:.

• Like 1