British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Kent v Eastbourne 30/07

Wasn't at the meeting but was obviously a complete shambles. Quite embarassing in the end as an Eagles fan. However one thing I don't agree with is people claiming that Brennan knocked Stoneman off on purpose, obviously I haven't seen it and it sounded very bad, but not sure any rider would go out into the track and try and put another rider in hospital.

Edited by eaglesno1

I hope the injured riders are up and around soon. The muffins on the kent forum claiming brennans a dirty rider need to look at his stats to see hes the safest teenager riding in the league. Im glad kent won tho coz it sounds likes eastbournes time wasting was taking the mick in the extreme. 

• Like 1

Here is my view as a neutral who was at the meeting. The track was a bit tricky at the start and no doubt contributed to the two major incidents. With a two hour curfew in place, Kent should consider employing a second ambulance to help keep delays at a minimum. Lastly with a big holiday crowd in attendance, Eastbourne's delaying tactics to slow the meeting down were a disgrace. With the sport suffering at all levels, selfish antics are the last thing speedway needs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was there and incidents were racing accidents.

The 4th bend claimed both crashes where riders attempted to squeeze through on the inside but both Edwards and then Brennan collided with Stoneman, the second incident quite alarming.

Something that seems to be the norm these days is riders not checking on one another when involved in these high speed crashes.

On this occasion track staff reminding the rider able to walk away in no uncertain terms the he should go and check on the rider in the fence.

Lots of atmosphere and a throw back to past Eastbourne encounters I fondly remember!

I agree the only time a rider is ever likely to have someone off is a) if there is previous there and more significantly b) they are not gonna come off and injure themselves. And spearing someone mid turn us as likely to cause the spearer as much damage as the spearee.

I do think though, and I accept I am on the safe side of the fence with no experience of the situation. That Brennan looked from the point he turned into 3 until he hit Stoneman on bend 4 as if he was gonna crash and I just feel perhaps he may of been able to lay it down before impact.

As Birmingham did previously the fact that Kent only have a 2 hour window means visiting sides in a professional sport will do all they can to maximise their chances. The fault lies with the authorities who allow tracks to operate with a 2 hour slot which we all know can often be insufficient to complete a meeting. Public short changed AGAIN!

In a perfect world Kent shouldn't have a licence...then again the BSPA daren't implement anything that is for the wider good as tracks just threaten to close. 

2 ambulances MUST be in attendance, 3 hours minimum timeslot MUST be a pre-requirement for a licence, all scheduled fixtures MUST be staged.. so much wrong leading to the inevitable i'm afraid

• Like 2

I too wasn't there but I have seen Tom Brennan race on many occasions and have never seen anything to lead me to believe he is a dirty rider or would cause a crash on purpose so its good to read some neutrals supporting that view.

BUT, I equally support criticism of the two teams involved.

The number of Kent matches that fail to beat the curfew is becoming a joke. I watch with amazement at matches I have attended there at the complete lack of urgency. This is also a criticism of the referees, who appear to think it is not their job to keep the meeting moving on swiftly. On several occasions I have seen people shouting up at the ref's box asking why the 2 minute warning is not on.

And as for Eastbourne, I have felt for a long while they are a disgrace to speedway. The Dugard's clearly have a win at all costs mentality which I draw the line at when it harms the sport as a whole. They appear to have a card which allows them to do what they want without fear of being challenged or punished. They sign dubiously legal riders (aided by a poor rule book). They call off meetings for rain which everyone knows is due to rider availability.

And again, obvious delaying tactics should be dealt with by the referee to ensure not only fairness but much more important sport credibility.

A rule that excludes riders from a race (with no reserve replacement) or even the meeting for unprofessional conduct would snuff this out immediately.

I have taken many newcomers to speedway in an effort to repopulate the species but I cant explain much of what goes on which must leave my guest wondering why I actually bother to attend.

Of course this is only the tip of the iceberg in a sport riddled with problems and possibly heading for extinction.

Sad and dark days.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OldHawk said:

I too wasn't there but I have seen Tom Brennan race on many occasions and have never seen anything to lead me to believe he is a dirty rider or would cause a crash on purpose so its good to read some neutrals supporting that view.

BUT, I equally support criticism of the two teams involved.

The number of Kent matches that fail to beat the curfew is becoming a joke. I watch with amazement at matches I have attended there at the complete lack of urgency. This is also a criticism of the referees, who appear to think it is not their job to keep the meeting moving on swiftly. On several occasions I have seen people shouting up at the ref's box asking why the 2 minute warning is not on.

And as for Eastbourne, I have felt for a long while they are a disgrace to speedway. The Dugard's clearly have a win at all costs mentality which I draw the line at when it harms the sport as a whole. They appear to have a card which allows them to do what they want without fear of being challenged or punished. They sign dubiously legal riders (aided by a poor rule book). They call off meetings for rain which everyone knows is due to rider availability.

And again, obvious delaying tactics should be dealt with by the referee to ensure not only fairness but much more important sport credibility.

A rule that excludes riders from a race (with no reserve replacement) or even the meeting for unprofessional conduct would snuff this out immediately.

I have taken many newcomers to speedway in an effort to repopulate the species but I cant explain much of what goes on which must leave my guest wondering why I actually bother to attend.

Of course this is only the tip of the iceberg in a sport riddled with problems and possibly heading for extinction.

Sad and dark days.

You make some very valid points. What annoys me the most, is that the promoters are totally oblivious to the damage their actions are doing to the sport. Their selfish attitudes has brought speedway to its knees.

• Like 1

The ironic thing is you would think racing in a lower league would give more continuity on the fixture front, Eastbourne are shocking on that score, moaning about making it pay and no home fixtures in high summer , essentially.

I love all the comments about the Kent/Eastbourne match from people who were not there ...How are they entitled to comment ?

I WAS there as a neutral, not supporting either Kent or Eastbourne. I attend at both venues on a regular basis as I can watch while

seated at both stadiums which is more than I can do at the track I actually support.  3 separate incidents caused this meeting not

to be completed. The worst was when Brennan speared Stoneman and sent him headlong into the fence where he stayed for quite a while 

as medical and track staff tried to sort him ( and the fence) out.  I'm sure Brennan did not set out to damage Stoneman, but it did look reckless.

It is a shame that Kent suffer from an 8.30pm curfew....but we must ask the question ( considering remarks by other on this forum). Do we want

Kent or not ?  And that applies to several other tracks that have curfews....do we shut them all down ?  The times that Kent fail to complete 15

races is not as often as has been alleged on this forum. 2 this year.   When I attend, I know that the curfew exists and I'm sure all the fans are

just as aware as i 

• Like 1

Clearly the first priority is best wishes to the injured riders and to Hampshires pocket after lending Stoneman a bike and seeing it written off. Accidents are accidents and i don't believe there was any genuine malice from either Edwards or Brennan apart from being a little over hyped by the management. Blatent time wasting is another issue and with Luke Bowen receiving a fine for tape touching on the Island i would like to hope that Powell received the same and that he had plenty of local supporters to see another poor display at Central Park. 

Ultimately despite being a heated affair upping the level of local rivalry is good for both clubs and will enhance crowds for future meetings.

I was at the meeting.

Brennan and Powell would not have purposefully put the Kent rider in the fence. Both riders weren't in control, however, and it was poor riding. But, then again, they haven't ridden for 6 weeks except Georgie Wood. He looked great last night. The Eagles need to think about the huge gap in their season.

I am sorry for the Kent rider involved. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

The delay was ridiculous. 4 heats in over 90 minutes!

To be honest, the Eagles' delaying tactics were the most entertaining part of the meeting. You are not going to like that.

If the curfew is 8.30, why were they still riding at 8.45? So they could get a result and, o by the way, we are in front now so we are going to end the meeting. To scuttle the meeting through so that the opposition do not have time to compete was pretty poor from Kent.

The whole meeting was unsatisfactory. Worst of all was the PA. Shocking. Not a great advert.