British Speedway Forum
Blackadder

Sheffield v Scunthorpe SGBCL 2/8/18 19.30 2000th meeting at Owlerton

Very disappointing. Last week could be sort of excused because of the weather, obviously the track is there for both teams, but it definitely favoured Lakeside. This week we had no excuse, with the exception of Kurtz and Lawlor the entire team was massively under par. Out gated and then beaten out of the first corner. 

Season is now absolutely over and we're just riding for pride now to finish as high as we possibly can. I definitely can't see the promotion taking a result like that and could well see a change or 2.

Wtf

Thankfully I am away this week and so missed what appears to be an absolute nightmare of an evening

what happened????

Bjerre and Wright were shocking for heatleaders. Kyle got going in his last three rides,Todd a decent performance,James had a quiet night ,Broc has next to no speed and Joe scored a couple of points,so did his job.

Scunthorpe did what was needed from the start and around the first and second turns,well worth their victory.

Some shocking decisions from the referee, so many heats should have been pulled back with riders jumping the start.

My 1st visit to Sheffield for about 18 years tonight(still looking for a team to follow since CH closed in 95), a few good races, Scorpions top 4 were too good for Sheffield, could fill my weekly fix if it wasn't for the "pig" of a journey there and back from the midlands

Sheffield

Wright- poor except for 1 ride

Kurtz- rode well all night

Bjerre- average

Nicol- looked steady but slow

Howarth- nightmare start, then picked up

Shanes- looked quick when he gated

Lawlor- did as expected

Scunthorpe

Worrall- looked quick all night

R/R

Garrity- rode well and aggressively all night

Allen- looked class

Auty- rode hard all night

Phillips- had a couple of good rides towards the end

Manzares- steady

I did think that it was a poor crowd turnout for a 2000th meeting celebration(not sure what the normal crowd is like) also the age of the crowd did appear to be quite old(above 50's) not too many youngsters

What's happening? The top three seem incapable of winning a race, let alone winning a match!

Prior to the Lakeside and Scunthorpe debacles, the top three had not ridden at Owlerton for a month (due to injuries and the long three-week break in fixtures). I find it inconceivable that this sudden loss of form doesn't have a lot to do with the lack of home fixtures. It's beyond coincidence that the top heat-leaders - who in May and early June were all close to unbeatable at home - should suddenly suffer such a devastating loss of form at home at the end of July. The only common factor that you can put your finger on is the midsummer lay-off.

Sports psychologists tell us that winning is a habit - break the momentum and you lose the thread. I can say with confidence that's exactly what's happened at Owlerton.

7 hours ago, Hel'n'Back said:

Some shocking decisions from the referee, so many heats should have been pulled back with riders jumping the start.

Steve W won heat 13 too!!

Interesting to read that the CL`s lesser Tigers were poor tonight,maybe Scunny were quite good??

Carvery was not to bad either

8 hours ago, Hel'n'Back said:

Totally agree I was stood opposite the start line and MOST of the jump starts came from a desperate Sheffield side!!

Cracking win  for the Scorpions at there near neighbours , really good to see a first win for Danny Phillips in Scunny colours well done Danny .Two more away meetings in the next few days .If only we had our 1 to 7 for  the whole season leaves me wondering

WHAT TYPE OF SEASON WE  WOULD HAVE HAD?

Fabulous result for Scunny last night.

Great to see Danny win a race.  It's not actually his first this season - he won races at Redcar and Sheffield earlier in the season.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if I was wrong but great to see ,he's there every week trying his best and I'm pleased for him as a few near us on the 4 th bend have been calling for him to be axed what do they expect he's. 2 pt rider whose coming back after a serious crash and injuries from last season  . Would love him to be amongst the pts for the rest of the season as it would give a great chance of silverware

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 11:39 PM, Andrew said:

So it's our 2000th meeting at Owlerton.I did a rough estimation that I've seen just over 900 of them and my dad about 1400+.

I could always sit down and count every home programme in the collection that goes back to 1960 for an exact number!

Anyhow after last week I'll take any win so 47-43.

I seem to remember you saying something about mid 1977, so you are probably about 10 meetings in front of me lol. 

Whoever said about a low crowd for the 2000th meeting, it was only advertised as such from Monday/Tuesday, so they did quite well to get as many  riders as they did.  Nice to see 3 generations of Allotts, with Guy being in his 90s now. As I said on my Facebook, even though a few of them didn't reach great heights, they still form part of the memories and I thank them for that :t:

Just a shame the present Tigers didn't do better!!  Todd and Joe did their job, as did James, and I find it difficult to have a go at Broc Nicol as he has been thrown in at the deep end a bit, but the heat leaders.... Having said that, it just goes to show Scunny's capabilities when they more or less all click together. I only wish Jake Allen had been held up in traffic for a bit longer! (That's a joke, before anyone starts flying off the handle) 

Edited by Tigerblade

We "ironed 'um"