British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2019

7 minutes ago, Anzum said:

I think if we win our 4 home matches and deny BV a losing bonus point both times we will make play offs if not we won't.

Belle Vue still have Leicester away though.

Firstly other teams have to win away matches to go above Swindon so your still in line for the play offs.

Secondly I fear Swindon may well be forced out of the Abbey at the end of this season with houses all around and permission for the development of the stadium still to be agreed and the present site more viable for housing than a minority sport as it is at other venues too. 

Hope me the second one is wrong but will see in the close season

Edited by INCOGNITO

Will there be a Robins team next year ? The new stadium is still pie in the sky with a lot of powerful people doing their best to stop it being built. It is supposed to be in storage somewhere, paid for ? Can a new site be found somewhere well away from any houses. Having been a regular since 1963 I think this season could be the last.

Somebody cheer me up please !

2 hours ago, johnno4 said:

Will there be a Robins team next year ? The new stadium is still pie in the sky with a lot of powerful people doing their best to stop it being built. It is supposed to be in storage somewhere, paid for ? Can a new site be found somewhere well away from any houses. Having been a regular since 1963 I think this season could be the last.

Somebody cheer me up please !

The local mp has tweeted again that meetings are taking place to make sure it does happen, but I will only believe it when I see the new stand going in and bikes racing. 

• Like 2

I think the residents of the new houses will have the last laugh in this long running saga.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I think the residents of the new houses will have the last laugh in this long running saga.

Are you on Swindon Borough Council? Or just chucking in random thoughts?  :)

#Poole46.5

39 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Are you on Swindon Borough Council? Or just chucking in random thoughts?  :)

#Poole46.5

Just my personal opinion.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Its obvious and buoyed up by the very, very odd 69th Anniversary meeting - don't you think?

19 hours ago, INCOGNITO said:

Firstly other teams have to win away matches to go above Swindon so your still in line for the play offs.

Secondly I fear Swindon may well be forced out of the Abbey at the end of this season with houses all around and permission for the development of the stadium still to be agreed and the present site more viable for housing than a minority sport as it is at other venues too. 

Hope me the second one is wrong but will see in the close season

They may need to sell to pay there own riders!!!

6 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The local mp has tweeted again that meetings are taking place to make sure it does happen, but I will only believe it when I see the new stand going in and bikes racing. 

He has replied to myself and a friend saying they are trying to secure a legal agreement for it to happen. I thought it had to happen anyway. We all know it won't now.

The only restriction in place was that contracts for the new stadium had to be signed before more than 200 houses could be occupied. Clearly GI pulled the wool over the councils eyes, as far more than 200 houses have been occupied and now the plans for the "new" stadium have been scrapped.

What possible leverage the council think they have, given that the housing development is all but complete, is open to debate. The only restriction I can think of is when GI inevitably apply for planning permission to build houses on the site where the "new" stadium was supposed to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattK said:

The only restriction in place was that contracts for the new stadium had to be signed before more than 200 houses could be occupied. Clearly GI pulled the wool over the councils eyes, as far more than 200 houses have been occupied and now the plans for the "new" stadium have been scrapped.

If prior occupation of no more than 200 houses before the construction of a new stadium was a planning condition - and that’s a common condition - the Council can take enforcement action.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

What possible leverage the council think they have, given that the housing development is all but complete, is open to debate. The only restriction I can think of is when GI inevitably apply for planning permission to build houses on the site where the "new" stadium was supposed to go.

Sadly spot on Matt .What are the Council going to do when Gi say  they are not going to build the stadium ? pull the houses down ? Each time we all know what Clark and Gi are going to do but  they still get away with it .Next stop for GI, Torquay Ute in the great we will build houses but  no stadium scam .

Just now, orion said:

Sadly spot on Matt .What are the Council going to do when Gi say  they are not going to build the stadium ? pull the houses down ? Each time we all know what Clark and Gi are going to do but  they still get away with it .Next stop for GI, Torquay Ute in the great we will build houses but  no stadium scam .

Have more than 200 houses been built and occupied, Orion? Do you know? Just asking :)

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

If prior occupation of no more than 200 houses before the construction of a new stadium was a planning condition - and that’s a common condition - the Council can take enforcement action.

It was "contracts have to be signed" or something similarly vague. If you read the Section 106 document on the original application the clause is in there. Either way, GI obviously met the clause, as more than 200 houses have been occupied - and I'm sure the council wouldn't turn a blind eye to their inactivity.