British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

The figures banded about for attendances at Lakeside this season are alarming to say the least for a side near the top of the table.

Wonder what exciting plans the BSPA have for us in 2019

of which the hammers statement says.  Wont be holding my breath.

• Like 1

In that case then we are probably knackered, but if you had told me back in the mid 90s speedway would still be going at the stadium in 2018 I would have been amazed so really I’m just glad it lasted as long as it did,  no one ever really expected the place to remain untouched for ever.

• Like 1

I think their will be a few fan's up and down the country keeping their fingers crossed that they have  speedway to watch in 2019. If you believe everything you hear from other track quite a few are struggling. The people that run speedway need to think very hard in the close season as to wear speedway goes, because as we are now we are going down a very slippery road.

11 minutes ago, marko said:

In that case then we are probably knackered, but if you had told me back in the mid 90s speedway would still be going at the stadium in 2018 I would have been amazed so really I’m just glad it lasted as long as it did,  no one ever really expected the place to remain untouched for ever.

Not when you consider the tracks location, it is prime real estate. Hopefully the promoters can squeeze another year out of the old place before it goes.

Unless the “exciting plans” from the BSPA include a new vice chairman, I don’t see speedway at Lakeside in 2019 being viable - whatever the outcome of discussions with the owners of the Lakeside sports site. 

Under the tenure of the 2018 BSPA management committee 2 clubs appear to have been assisted towards closure. 

• Like 3

Just now, old bob at herne bay said:

Unless the “exciting plans” from the BSPA include a new vice chairman, I don’t see speedway at Lakeside in 2019 being viable - whatever the outcome of discussions with the owners of the Lakeside sports site. 

Under the tenure of the 2018 BSPA management committee 2 clubs appear to have been assisted towards closure. 

Hard to argue with that.

Would be great if some rich dude comes along and turns it into a speedway only stadium, and the track is as big as the concrete one.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Would be great if some rich dude comes along and turns it into a speedway only stadium, and the track is as big as the concrete one.

Not sure if you are being serious or not!

Speedway only would lose a fortune whereas the real estate is worth millions to developers.

Its another warning to all stadiums of this type be it greyhounds or motor sports stadia the pressure of land value and residential requirement is now too great for some to ignore.

27 minutes ago, GWC said:

Not sure if you are being serious or not!

Speedway only would lose a fortune whereas the real estate is worth millions to developers.

Its another warning to all stadiums of this type be it greyhounds or motor sports stadia the pressure of land value and residential requirement is now too great for some to ignore.

It's nothing new though is it. I'm still mourning the loss of West Ham in 1972!

25 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It's nothing new though is it. I'm still mourning the loss of West Ham in 1972!

Me too. Still haven't got over it. They won't be satisfied until the whole country is one mass of shops, offices and houses, and life is totally dull with no excitement . 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, marko said:

That article mentions north and east, the raceway is actually west of the retail park and south west of the main shopping complex, so this is probably another area, maybe just maybe someone will buy the land who wants to improve what is already there, long shot? the complex needs serious investment though and more uses, its clear the family who currently own it were asset rich but actually in terms of cash were very poor, so the raceway was just left to get more and more run down.

There are not many places you can visit having not been there for 30 years and say, ow this place hasn't changed one bit, Arena Essex is the exception.

Arena-Essex is due north of the Lakeside shopping centre

It's a tough one this. The statement is Ill-timed but unavoidable for the promotion. 

Expect to see attendances drop off for the remainder of what was a most promising season.

I fear this will in-turn, be unconvincing for the promotion to pull out all the stops for another season.

I've already mentioned to the club numerous times that there is land available in the south Ockendon area which I believe is ideal but I have had a lack of response but perhaps I'll try again as i know the land owner very well.

3 hours ago, Daytripper said:

They won't be satisfied until the whole country is one mass of shops, offices and houses, and life is totally dull with no excitement . 

Excitement does not pass the Risk Assessment these days so they can't allow any of that!

So glad that I am 64 and have seen some wonderful Speedway and Stock Car meetings at Arena Essex, Wimbledon, West Ham, New Cross, Crayford, Wembley and a host of other tracks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

if the rumours are to be believed the ones in power need 3 teams from the top 2 leagues to go under for there master plan to work