British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

12 hours ago, Whisperer said:

Or race at a lower level

I don't think 6 will need to be forced to close by the way things are going at present 6 may well be gone shortly, Rye have gone Lakeside are going Swindon is looking decidedly dodgy, Matt Ford said he will be looking at his options at the end of the season, this year is just going from bad to worse for Speedway.

32 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

We are all different and enjoy different aspects of the same things - in this case, a good speedway race. I have almost given up on sitting and watching speedway in the fresh air because there is no sense of urgency about getting on with the meeting ( at King's Lynn at least ). The Tuesday night racing on Freesports is usually much better than what I see here. I would happily pay for Pay Per View broadcasts of UK away meetings ( accepting that it is not going to be to a BT standard ) if only the BSPA had gotten on with organising what could possibly be a good income stream.

It is good to watch Speedway on TV if you are unable to get to meetings but without fans through the turnstiles there will be no Speedway to broadcast on TV.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Seems a strange Masterplan:unsure:

The only thing strange in speedway would be if they all worked together to actually improve things 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NickRushbrook said:

It's a tough one this. The statement is Ill-timed but unavoidable for the promotion. 

Expect to see attendances drop off for the remainder of what was a most promising season.

I fear this will in-turn, be unconvincing for the promotion to pull out all the stops for another season.

I've already mentioned to the club numerous times that there is land available in the south Ockendon area which I believe is ideal but I have had a lack of response but perhaps I'll try again as i know the land owner very well.

Part of statement from Jon Cooks on Hammers webside 2nd August - "Following this statement, if fans would like to talk with Jon Cook further, he will be situated in front of The Raceway Tavern after the first heat against the Witches on Friday "

Perhaps you could have another chat with him if your there tonight.  Problems arise though when land appears to be suitable but Councils wont give planning permissions etc. I am sure some people think we all want to spend our time shopping or going to the cinema etc. but I'm not one of them I enjoy my Speedway its better than being stuck inside a shopping mall or cinema.

2 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

It is good to watch Speedway on TV if you are unable to get to meetings but without fans through the turnstiles there will be no Speedway to broadcast on TV.

I suspect there will be in Poland and Sweden for some time to come because the promoters there are not so incompetent as the BSPA in the UK. But I take your point.

Lets see what is said tonight was at ipswich last night and the whole team

just carried on as usual no one seemed overly concerned

no body knows what the future will bring but the main thing now

is all hammers fans stop whinging and come out to our last 3 home meetings

and show the new owners the local council and whoever else we want speedway in essex

• Like 5

Gonna be more than three. The home cup and shield matches against Peterborough have got to be arranged. 

17 hours ago, scaramanga said:

if the rumours are to be believed the ones in power need 3 teams from the top 2 leagues to go under for there master plan to work 

they are doing a fine job so far .

anyone interested in a law suit against the bspa INDIVIDUALS who changed the fixture list . can only see a win, win situation for the clubs involved .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scaramanga said:

if the rumours are to be believed the ones in power need 3 teams from the top 2 leagues to go under for there master plan to work 

Are you saying that they need 15 clubs to form a new league?

8 minutes ago, GWC said:

Are you saying that they need 15 clubs to form a new league?

I think he means 16, we had 19 in total and have already lost Rye House so the inference is another 2 to close leaving 16

Edited by ekimba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HAMMER180 said:

Lets see what is said tonight was at ipswich last night and the whole team

just carried on as usual no one seemed overly concerned

no body knows what the future will bring but the main thing now

is all hammers fans stop whinging and come out to our last 3 home meetings

and show the new owners the local council and whoever else we want speedway in essex

All Hammers fans and any other Speedway fans within travelling distance because as you say we need to show whoever that we enjoy Speedway and want it to continue and not be allowed to just die a death.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, topsoil said:

Never understood why somebody would disregard live action, fresh air, watching a team you support and a night amongst friends for TV, indoors and sitting usually on your own, watching teams you have no feelings for. Each to his own.

Never understood why anyone would hit the M25 on a Friday evening to go to one of the most depressing areas of the country to watch racing you need binoculars to see! 

Edited by poppetman

42 minutes ago, poppetman said:

Never understood why anyone would hit the M25 on a Friday evening to go to one of the most depressing areas of the country to watch racing you need binoculars to see! 

Probably because we are true Speedway supporters and the track is within travelling distance of where we live and unfortunately we do not have various tracks in the area as we did years ago ie West Ham, Hackney, Wimbledon, etc to name but a few.  It is far from the best way to see speedway but I'd rather be at Arena Essex that  watch no Speedway at all considering we now don't even have Rye House.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poppetman said:

Yes it is a s**t hole but its our s**t hole, if I had Belle Vue or Poole on my doorstep I would go there but I don't, and unlike a lot of football fans, us speedway supporters follow our local teams.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, marko said:

Yes it is a s**t hole but its our s**t hole, if I had Belle Vue or Poole on my doorstep I would go there but I don't, and unlike a lot of football fans, us speedway supporters follow our local teams.

If I had a quid for every time I’ve said that phrase about Arena :D ... well, I’d probably be able to build us a new track!

It’s our s**t hole! And I’ll miss it if / when it goes.

All this talk of needing to lose clubs to amalgamate into a sustainable league leaves a bad taste ... but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s in the minds of some.