British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

There is one thing that has crossed my mind today, which is in the unlikely event work cannot start on the complex for another year plus, as the only tenants at the raceway, we could race any Saturday (every Saturday if the league was big enough) without any conflicts from four wheeled motorsport, clutching at straws a bit there but on paper that is currently our best case scenario, Saturday speedway at Arena, now that would be going full circle back to the late 80s when it was weekly on Saturdays at 7pm.

Maybe for differing reasons but I doubt Lakeside will be the only club to be hit with the threat of closure in the not to distant future. I hope at least some kind of compromise can be found in the short term if nothing else but it does look very bleak.  

• Like 1

There was (seemingly) serious talk a couple of years ago about The Hammers moving across The Thames into Sittingbourne.......maybe those plans could be resurrected?

Personally, I think crowds would improve and it would be successful.

7 hours ago, marko said:

There is one thing that has crossed my mind today, which is in the unlikely event work cannot start on the complex for another year plus, as the only tenants at the raceway, we could race any Saturday (every Saturday if the league was big enough) without any conflicts from four wheeled motorsport, clutching at straws a bit there but on paper that is currently our best case scenario, Saturday speedway at Arena, now that would be going full circle back to the late 80s when it was weekly on Saturdays at 7pm.

Probably take at least a year to get planning. I can't see the speedway being the sole tenant. The cost of running the stadium would need to be born by whoever was running it. Add those to the speedway rent and that's a guaranteed loss maker. You'd need a stock car operator definetly on board 

I think Jon Cook made some kind of a statement during last nights meeting, anything interesting ?.

Cook spoke for a good ten minutes on the mic last night. He was saying mainly that he was going to keep fighting to save the speedway. IF there is a new tenant they MIGHT allow the speedway to stay. IF the speedway itself MIGHT be the new tenant. Several if and maybes. The only actual fact he stated was that he could not guarantee speedway in 2019. He was trying to put a very positive spin on matters, which you would expect him to do.

Speaking to the vendors of the sweets and merchandising outlets it was a different story. They have been told the stadium is done after the last cars event this season, and that they won't be renewing their contracts. The Hammers scarves, hats, programme boards etc etc are going to be on sale for the rest of the season because the stock has to be sold by then. There won't be any other opportunities to shift that stuff after this season. That sounds pretty conclusive to me.

He also said that the previous owners of the raceway had a two year option to be tenants under the new ownership and have obviously decided against the second year. I am sure he said the landlords do want speedway to continue in the area and that is something else that is being looked into but I would guess if it’s not at Arena then it’s curtains for the club.

9 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

I do hope Lakeside can continue but it's all over the BBC and local news items that the stadium will close after the last event there on 4th November.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-45044933

That’s just the original press release from the tenants now, nothing to stop another motorsport company or Lakeside themselves taking over the tenancy if it’s financially viable but that is a big IF. 

2 minutes ago, liam said:

That’s just the original press release from the tenants now, nothing to stop another motorsport company or Lakeside themselves taking over the tenancy if it’s financially viable but that is a big IF. 

For years now that land has been earmarked for more housing and I for one think it's awful that we have to keep losing Speedway and Motorsports tracks. I know people have to live somewhere but these people also need places of entertainment its about time that where developments are planned existing entertainments should be built into the plans ie Arena Essex should stay  (as should Swindon? and Coventry). People moving into the area should be made fully aware of the arena and not have the right to start complaining about noise etc after they've moved there.

Also interesting to hear Jon say there were some sort of caveats that if speedway wasn't included in the plan than they (the owners) would have to provide another site for the club somewhere in the region, how legally binding that is I don't know.

When the stock car promotion move out in November, I would imagine the whole site will be unoccupied. A security firm would then have to be employed to keep the place secure. Who is going to pay for this, surely not the lakeside management. I think the costs in being the sole tennants would be prohibitive for the speedway alone.

9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

When the stock car promotion move out in November, I would imagine the whole site will be unoccupied. A security firm would then have to be employed to keep the place secure. Who is going to pay for this, surely not the lakeside management. I think the costs in being the sole tennants would be prohibitive for the speedway alone.

Do what Len did at Rye House and move in a few caravans and take up residence!

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Move out of where? I thought the whole stadium was empty unless an event was taking place unless you mean the house near the go kart track?

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

will end up like Coventry, pikeys in there to trash the place

• Like 1