British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

2 hours ago, singy13 said:

Workington Comets of the Lou Sansom, Mal McKay, Taffy Owen, Reg Wilson, Bob Valentine era  were a Friday track, with some Sundays  -  so 1970 to 1981...........only changed to Saturdays when Mole/Thomas re-opened track in 1999.

Only visited from the year 2000 the names i quoted were ones i had read  about

3 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

Rumour in the Sandmartin last night was the Hammers will be at Rye House before the season ends

Would not surprise me, in fact a poster on the Lakeside forum, called this way back on the 26th July, and I have to agree, I can't see how we are going to get our fixtures in with limited Fridays, we are likely to be in the play offs, we are still in the koc and that early season competition which we won our group in.

45 minutes ago, MANSE said:

Only visited from the year 2000 the names i quoted were ones i had read  about

Ok....................you will have probably seen the Comets legend Carl Stonehewer riding on one of your visits tho.....

23 minutes ago, barraider said:

I think lakeside will end up racing at rye house this season or next imo

Pub rumour was that they'd have been racing at Rye this weekend if it hadn't been for the BSPA management committee being awkward.

16 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Probably contractually  have to stay at Thurrock for te rest of the season, but suspect something along the lines of Lakeside Hammers

"temporarily"  moving to Hoddesdon next season (2019) whilst Mr Cook and Mr Douglas pursue other locatins for speedway in Essex ???

Might change their name to Riverside Hammers

• Like 1

Seeing as there appears to be no connection to the late great West Ham, why keep the Hammers name. Nomads seems more appropriate.

Most speedway fans are probably not aware that Arena Essex is the home of TWO stock car/hot rod/banger promotions. Having been a lifelong follower of both sports and having worked for Chick Woodroffe please let me explain. 

Chick opened the track under his Promotasport banner as part of the then thriving P. R. I. organisation. He then started the Speedway. The Promotasport racing is held on Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday afternoons. For the last few years there has also been the Rolling Thunder Show events run by Vincent O'Connor on Saturday evenings. RTS do not run Bangers but Vince is a former Promotasport driver in both Stock Cars and Hot Rods and I think still races in Sprint Cars. 

Promotasport may be finished and the Woodroffe family moving out but I suspect RTS would be as keen as Lakeside Hammers to continue and they might want to move to Sunday afternoons although I have no way of knowing if that is true. 

• Like 2

Can anyone actually be sure that we are to move into Rye House ?   To me it sounds like one of those rumours that start because someone

suggests over a pint in the pub that it might be a good idea.  A few Chinese Whispers and it's quoted as a fact. I can't see Jon Cook taking

such a gamble.   Mind you, from a personal point of view, there are a few seats at Rye House.  Car park is a bit off putting with all the potholes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Can anyone actually be sure that we are to move into Rye House ?   To me it sounds like one of those rumours that start because someone

suggests over a pint in the pub that it might be a good idea.  A few Chinese Whispers and it's quoted as a fact. I can't see Jon Cook taking

such a gamble.   Mind you, from a personal point of view, there are a few seats at Rye House.  Car park is a bit off putting with all the potholes.

Of course not!

I suggested earlier in the thread that "Kent" may be a viable option, and there could be a good argument made for a switch to Oxford.

Whatever transpires, you can be sure it won't be Jon Cook's gamble, it will be Stuart Douglas calling the tune........and he was introduced to the sport at Rayleigh.

The Rockets that captured Stuart's imagination as a kid, eventually moved into Rye House and made that their permanent home for many years........history could repeat itself, but in my opinion the move to the other side of The Thames would be a much better business decision.

I guess we'll all have to play the waiting game?

Don't think its good business decision sending fans through the tolls/traffic, to a stadium that has a very limited availabillity/ poor curfew time?

I think rye house would be the better option imo, the racing is closer too the crowd aswell than kent and lakeside

Most of the support I suspect comes from north of the river, I would certainly not follow the club if it moved into Kent because of the travelling plus the Kent track is a joke, there is more dirt on the M20.

23 hours ago, marko said:

Most of the support I suspect comes from north of the river, I would certainly not follow the club if it moved into Kent because of the travelling plus the Kent track is a joke, there is more dirt on the M20.

The track is like that as that is the way Len Silver prepares it.

With some investment, Kent could house a track on par with the best in Poland if it was laid outside of the current circuit.

Weather permitting, this time next week, lakeside's third home meeting in two months could have been staged. With Godfrey's gladiators riding on the 31st and Edinburgh away on the 7th, a congested end to the season is looking likely at arena. Why have no attempts been made to run the odd meeting on an off night, to help ease the congestion.

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

Weather permitting, this time next week, lakeside's third home meeting in two months could have been staged. With Godfrey's gladiators riding on the 31st and Edinburgh away on the 7th, a congested end to the season is looking likely at arena. Why have no attempts been made to run the odd meeting on an off night, to help ease the congestion.

'cos nobody actually gives 5hit any more!