British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

On 20 August 2018 at 6:05 PM, marko said:

Lakeside can’t run most Saturdays because of four wheeled motorsport using the venue, that’s proably why it would make sense for the Hammers to run the odd meeting at Rye on a Saturday night where no other promoters can complain about it.

if they fail to complete fixtures this season, that I think will be the end of it, there is no gong back if you can’t make an effort when your clearly one of the fancied top three or four teams.

Does Rye House still have a license ? I don't think it does. 

9 minutes ago, barraider said:

Dont know?

There running a flat track meeting there again tomorrow

I think that's the point. I am pretty sure they are not licensed for Championship league racing

6 hours ago, barraider said:

Dont know?

Flat track racing has nothing to do with speedway. They are not licenced by the SCB as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barraider said:

Dont know?

It will be interesting to a) see how they build in a crossover track shape ( or will it be speedway with gears?) and b) how many are attracted to flat track racing there. A genuine question so if someone goes perhaps they could review the meeting.

They just use the speedway track but with diff bikes(brakes and gears)

Its a event setup more for the riders than fans , not many fans lasttime i went but lots of riders paying £80 each to race 

Prob take £3000/4000 with riders money then food  drink on top if that

Lakeside are advertising the KO Cup against Peterborough on Saturday 29th September and Rolling Thunder Show are also advertising a meeting on the same evening. One of them will have to be either moved to another track or the date changed. 

49 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Lakeside are advertising the KO Cup against Peterborough on Saturday 29th September and Rolling Thunder Show are also advertising a meeting on the same evening. One of them will have to be either moved to another track or the date changed. 

Also, although Lakeside's home leg date appears on both clubs' websites, it is not on the BSPA fixture list

3 hours ago, tocha said:

Also, although Lakeside's home leg date appears on both clubs' websites, it is not on the BSPA fixture list

As there is a cut off date for league fixtures shouldn't Lakeside's home meeting against Peterborough be the first preference as I don't see it listed anywhere or are Lakeside holding something back here about the venue , I can't see why they would want to miss out on a possible 3 points towards there quest for a top 4 play off place and those 3 points could make all the difference .  Interested to know Hammers supporters thoughts on this.

Edited by New era Panthers

9 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

As there is a cut off date for league fixtures shouldn't Lakeside's home meeting against Peterborough be the first preference as I don't see it listed anywhere or are Lakeside holding something back here about the venue , I can't see why they would want to miss out on a possible 3 points towards there quest for a top 4 play off place and those 3 points could make all the difference .

I think the cut off is two weeks before the KO Cup date so looks like they need to get a move on. 

15 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I think the cut off is two weeks before the KO Cup date so looks like they need to get a move on. 

16th September

40 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

As there is a cut off date for league fixtures shouldn't Lakeside's home meeting against Peterborough be the first preference as I don't see it listed anywhere or are Lakeside holding something back here about the venue , I can't see why they would want to miss out on a possible 3 points towards there quest for a top 4 play off place and those 3 points could make all the difference .  Interested to know Hammers supporters thoughts on this.

Lakeside are listed as away to Edinburgh on Friday 7th Sept then then at home to Glasgow on Friday 14th Sept.  My understanding is they wanted to race Peterborough in the League tomorrow but Peterborough can’t put a full team out.

The outstanding meetings in the League, K.O. Cup and Shield are against Peterborough, Peterborough, and ...er... Peterborough. 

What a mess. Well done Rob Godfrey, on behalf of the the BSPA , you have collected the £50,000 bond from Rye House for pulling out (being forced out) of the PL , now stand to collect a fine from Lakeside, and possibly Workington, for not completing their fixtures, alienated even more fans, in a sport that can’t afford to lose a single one, and helped with the plan to reduce the number of tracks in 2018, so there can be one big league.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

Lakeside are listed as away to Edinburgh on Friday 7th Sept then then at home to Glasgow on Friday 14th Sept.  My understanding is they wanted to race Peterborough in the League tomorrow but Peterborough can’t put a full team out.

The outstanding meetings in the League, K.O. Cup and Shield are against Peterborough, Peterborough, and ...er... Peterborough. 

What a mess. Well done Rob Godfrey, on behalf of the the BSPA , you have collected the £50,000 bond from Rye House for pulling out (being forced out) of the PL , now stand to collect a fine from Lakeside, and possibly Workington, for not completing their fixtures, alienated even more fans, in a sport that can’t afford to lose a single one, and helped with the plan to reduce the number of tracks in 2018, so there can be one big league.

The sooner a fully independent body is appointed to run speedway the better. 
Yes promoters are the ones who make  investments in their clubs but it is the fans' gate money that keeps them in existence but that fact is always overlooked when it comes to the BSPA making decisions. It is only human nature for promoters to vote to protect their own interests but OWN interests mean exactly that and other teams do suffer eg Rye House.
I do believe the amalgamation of the PL & CL would benefit the sport especially if it stopped doubling up. Going back to clubs' traditional race nights would also surely be a good thing (ask Rye House) but then no doubts the Poles and their money would mean some riders choosing not to ride over here. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing if meant giving loyal british riders and youngsters better opperchancities.

Incidentally if clubs who can't fulfill their league commitments are fined then the sport really is doomed. The weather can't be helped unless one of those promoters is actually God like he thinks he is and has been turning the tap on.

Edited by cinderfella
  • Like 1