British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

10 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Incidentally if clubs who can't fulfill their league commitments are fined then the sport really is doomed. The weather can't be helped unless one of those promoters is actually God like he thinks he is and has been turning the tap on.

Because of the weather? It's been the best summer in 40 years! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

Because of the weather? It's been the best summer in 40 years! 

Maybe but speedway start in the spring and look at the number of meetings that were postponed at the beginning of the season (53 in March & April) and now at the business end of the season the weather is taking it's toll again.

Lakeside could potentially have nine home meetings to fit in before the end of the season. I don't see how this is going to be possible, given the difficulty is securing race nights during the last couple of months. Maybe a few double headers could be on the cards, but this has rarely happened in the past at Arena. There are rumours of some 'home' matches being staged at Rye, I wish the promotion would confirm or deny this, to put us out of our misery.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Lakeside could potentially have nine home meetings to fit in before the end of the season. I don't see how this is going to be possible, given the difficulty is securing race nights during the last couple of months. Maybe a few double headers could be on the cards, but this has rarely happened in the past at Arena. There are rumours of some 'home' matches being staged at Rye, I wish the promotion would confirm or deny this, to put us out of our misery.

Misery is what they sell us in speedway, in one way or the other. Secrecy is their byword until there is either a leak ( I thought there had been re-re-located fixtures?)

5 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Misery is what they sell us in speedway, in one way or the other. Secrecy is their byword until there is either a leak ( I thought there had been re-re-located fixtures?)

Just gossip at the moment, nothing official.

Lack of communication from promotion is poor,  people make plans then they will inform everyone lastminute.com.

Expecting the fans to just upB) then wonder why crowds are falling

Promote the meetings

Announcement this morning - last meeting at Arena on 14th Sept and club moves to Rye House from the 15th.

2 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Announcement this morning - last meeting at Arena on 14th Sept and club moves to Rye House from the 15th.

Sad but expected.

• Like 1

At least that’s not 2 clubs closing! Sad to see the track go as I never got to go to it and it was very near the top of my list of ones to go to along with NSS. Best of luck to everyone and I hope they get the support.

Great to see Lakeside continuing and the fans at the track getting speedway back even if it's not their beloved Rockets.

that's probably the most sensible thing to have happened in speedway for about 25 yrs, I feel for the rye fans but they've local riders in the lakeside team and I think they will get belting crowds at hoddesdon of a Saturday night

• Like 1

Maybe both promotions can join together and change there name to something London related so all fans have a team to support in the London area 

So is it the Rye House Hammers or the Lakeside Rockets? Sad to see the raceway close I just hope I can get myself to Rye House to carry on supporting the club.