British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

33 minutes ago, SFTGNigel said:

I presume we all see this as a nail in the coffin for the Rockets for the foreseeable future then? 

Not necessarily. Track sharing is an option, Lakeside Friday, Rye House Saturday and even more practical if they ride in different leagues.

26 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Maybe both promotions can join together and change there name to something London related so all fans have a team to support in the London area 

Funnily enough, I already checked this morning if the London Hammers domain names had been registered! It hadn’t yet, btw. 

Hoddesdon Hammers maybe?

• Like 1

Hammers? don't think so! They had better drop the claret and blue body colours too, Hoddesdon is Tottenham country, they wont go for anything that reminds them of WHU.

Lesson one, know your fan base, it wont be the same as you have had before.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, tocha said:

Not necessarily. Track sharing is an option, Lakeside Friday, Rye House Saturday and even more practical if they ride in different leagues.

According to the BSPA, Friday was never lakeside's race night this season, it was always Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Maybe both promotions can join together and change there name to something London related so all fans have a team to support in the London area 

Not a bad idea, although the London Lions flopped at Hackney in 1996.   Also, I wonder if Rye House is too far from London for it to work.

Obviously, it's Lakeside Hammers for this season, but beyond that using the 'Lakeside' name seems largely pointless, especially since it's not even the traditional name for Arena Essex.  It's just a shopping centre that flagged to people where the Arena Essex Raceway was actually based.

Maybe Rye House Hammers does make most sense.  It's a link to London it itself, since it's the old West Ham name. Plus it trips nicely off the tongue.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, marko said:

Hammers? don't think so! They had better drop the claret and blue body colours too, Hoddesdon is Tottenham country, they wont go for anything that reminds them of WHU.

Lesson one, know your fan base, it wont be the same as you have had before.

Rye House Spurs?

Shadders would probably approve of that one ;) :rofl:

Edited by lucifer sam

1 hour ago, tocha said:

I think  you need to walk before you can run and make sure it is a viable option before having track sharing scheme , always better to have one surviving team than risk having no team at all .At least you will have one team to support.

25 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Not a bad idea, although the London Lions flopped at Hackney in 1996.   Also, I wonder if Rye House is too far from London for it to work.

Obviously, it's Lakeside Hammers for this season, but beyond that using the 'Lakeside' name seems largely pointless, especially since it's not even the traditional name for Arena Essex.  It's just a shopping centre that flagged to people where the Arena Essex Raceway was actually based.

Maybe Rye House Hammers does make most sense.  It's a link to London it itself, since it's the old West Ham name. Plus it trips nicely off the tongue.

Rye House speedway is next to a lake, though, so it does (kind of) work.

Riverside Rockets

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

According to the BSPA, Friday was never lakeside's race night this season, it was always Saturday. 

Not according to the Stars info in their bumper pre season preview which states Friday  

In this instance for BSPA read the idiot Godfrey. He’s only now trotting this out to make himself look and feel better. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ouch said:

Not according to the Stars info in their bumper pre season preview which states Friday  

In this instance for BSPA read the idiot Godfrey. He’s only now trotting this out to make himself look and feel better. 

100% correct.

Get rid of the hammers name I say the club might actually win something then ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, liam said:

Get rid of the hammers name I say the club might actually win something then ;)

Was thinking the same and perhaps leave the past behind on both counts and perhaps rebrand. Anyone for Rye House Raiders.