British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

3 minutes ago, barraider said:

The bspa should be held accountable by forcing clubs to ride on FRN and signing a poor tv deal with bt sports

Even though FRN was hailed as a good thing by many and voted for at the AGM? 

• Like 1

Self interest again running clubs and also being apart of the bspa

Its like the chelsea owner sitting in the head fa chair? Dosn't really work;)

• Like 1

The bmr promotion made mistakes but have or did have some really good ideas 

Example a app for phones/ tablet which would go live during the meeting so younger fans can join in the action

Myself being young compared to average age of speedway fans still prefers a programme but most efl clubs this yr voted against having to produce a programme

Whilst using Rye is needed to help complete the meetings, the final meeting should have been held at Arena Essex, even if it’s not an official fixture, the way this has been done just buries everyone, it’s not like the stadium won’t host any motorsport after the 14th of September.

• Like 1

Yes final meeting should be at arena essex

It holds so many different events thou its hard for lakeside to fit in with them, landlords have no interest now it is sold so its sad but leaves lakeside with limited options

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marko said:

Whilst using Rye is needed to help complete the meetings, the final meeting should have been held at Arena Essex, even if it’s not an official fixture, the way this has been done just buries everyone, it’s not like the stadium won’t host any motorsport after the 14th of September.

I agree aswell if we made the play offs or final then that should have been run at our track.

• Like 3

Its crazy that the cut off dates have moved so far forward over the years?why?

Speedway used to run up to end of october with fireworks to close the season, imo i used to love watching them october meetings under the floodlights wrapped up in my winter coat and hat

Edited by barraider
Spelling
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, barraider said:

Its crazy that the cut off dates have moved so far forward over the years?why?

Speedway used to run up to end of october with fireworks to close the season, imo i used to love watching them october meetings under the floodlights wrapped up in my winter coat and hat

You are more of a "dinosaur" than me! We have to get with it ( or get out ) Speedway runs from mid-April to mid-September nowadays ( or even mid-August if your team is having a bad season ). 

Problem is just that

The longer the break from end of season to next season people drift away and forget/find something else to do

Is more like end of march till end october

Im not that old :D

20 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

I agree but unfortunately the chances of finding a suitable piece of land and having the financial resources to fund the development are a very long shot. Rayleigh in the 70’s did consider Rawerth Lane but that came to nothing, the old greyhound track in Southend was potentially another option but this was forty plus years ago. I followed the Rockets to Rye House but it was never the same and those who went to the Weir would know what I mean. Arena Essex was a good option but once the Chick Woodruff family let thing go the writing was on the wall. Chick was a good guy who gave the sport a chance despite it not being his primary interest. A few pieces of land out towards Clacton-on-Sea and Jaywick could be an option but convincing Tendring council might be an uphill struggle. In the south of the county and taking a line south of Witham, my guess is that you have no chance given the proximity/travelling time to to London and with the demand for housing it is sad to say but speedway in Essex may well have finally come to an end. I would like to be proved wrong but I cannot see the sport establishing itself again in the county.

I hope the club are talking to Thurrock Council about the site and area of the old Tilbury Power Station, as there is a lot of land there just surrounded by industrial areas or the Thames.  As you mentioned Rayleigh, I believe the Hammers spoke to Action Park, on the outskirts of the town, in recent years.  But that was closed due to noise, despite it being surrounded by fields and the adjacent A127!  Dunton golf course and the farm areas next to it are getting 4,000 new homes on it, so that rules out the A128 area.  More housing estates in Rayleigh, Rochford and Hullbridge being planned doesn't help in those regions.  If we look out in the wilds, Barling has some unused land and isn't too far a drive from Southend.  Maybe Foulness Island or Coryton as they are sparsely populated or only home industry.

I hope that this is not the end of the sport in the county, as the catchment area in South Essex is huge with lots of old fans to be tempted back if the sport was ever run properly.  Since the announcement yesterday, I have spoken to many Hammers fans who won't be attending after our last meeting at Arena and some that are considering not continuing next year.  The main reasons are; not wanting to support a team in another county, not wanting to support a team that isn't the Hammers, not enjoying visits to Rye enough to go back and those who just can't or don't want to travel even further.  Let's just hope that Stuart & Jon manage to get something in Essex sorted very quickly!

If a new track is to be feasible, my feeling is that it needs to be no more than a half dozen miles from Arena to preserve the catchment area as is. That would still be viable for those from south of the river.

Edited by TonyE
  • Like 1

Even if they found land with permission , doubt anything can be done in time for next season,,so lets get behind the move to keep speedway in the area even if it is about 25 to 30 miles away from Lakeside...Not ideal but real speedway fans will find a way to support it.....

• Like 3