British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

23 hours ago, Cliv Clav said:

I hope the club are talking to Thurrock Council about the site and area of the old Tilbury Power Station, as there is a lot of land there just surrounded by industrial areas or the Thames.  As you mentioned Rayleigh, I believe the Hammers spoke to Action Park, on the outskirts of the town, in recent years.  But that was closed due to noise, despite it being surrounded by fields and the adjacent A127!  Dunton golf course and the farm areas next to it are getting 4,000 new homes on it, so that rules out the A128 area.  More housing estates in Rayleigh, Rochford and Hullbridge being planned doesn't help in those regions.  If we look out in the wilds, Barling has some unused land and isn't too far a drive from Southend.  Maybe Foulness Island or Coryton as they are sparsely populated or only home industry.

I hope that this is not the end of the sport in the county, as the catchment area in South Essex is huge with lots of old fans to be tempted back if the sport was ever run properly.  Since the announcement yesterday, I have spoken to many Hammers fans who won't be attending after our last meeting at Arena and some that are considering not continuing next year.  The main reasons are; not wanting to support a team in another county, not wanting to support a team that isn't the Hammers, not enjoying visits to Rye enough to go back and those who just can't or don't want to travel even further.  Let's just hope that Stuart & Jon manage to get something in Essex sorted very quickly!

My understanding is that Thurrock Council want Speedway to continue and planning permission for the site includes a speedway track . The trouble is, redevelopment of the site doesn’t look like starting for some time yet.

Using Rye House would be a short term solution for the foreseeable future. Whether BMR want to get back into speedway and want the track back or whether they will want some kind of partnership with the Lakeside promotion is something that only time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daytripper said:

My understanding is that Thurrock Council want Speedway to continue and planning permission for the site includes a speedway track . The trouble is, redevelopment of the site doesn’t look like starting for some time yet.

Using Rye House would be a short term solution for the foreseeable future. Whether BMR want to get back into speedway and want the track back or whether they will want some kind of partnership with the Lakeside promotion is something that only time will tell.

Are you sure the new site is going to include a track? Iam not sure about that.

1 hour ago, Daytripper said:

Which begs the question, why can't any motor sport take place there in 2019 if its extremely unlikely any work is going to be started on the site?

35 minutes ago, marko said:

Which begs the question, why can't any motor sport take place there in 2019 if its extremely unlikely any work is going to be started on the site?

I suspect that the owners are effectively saying that the continuance of speedway in the short term is in doubt. That would prevent the Hammers applying to run in 2019. Saying that the stadium is not available post 2018, the support for speedway falls away and the applicants can then submit a planning proposal on the basis that there is no longer any demand for racing and the requirement cannot be justified. Motorsport will not have taken place for some time and any pre-condition that the council have In wanting it to continue could in effect be overruled on appeal because the applicants can prove that the demand does no longer exist. It is a stitch up but that is how these devious buggers work. The demand for housing far out weighs that of a minority sport that by and large will pee off most residents simply because of the noise. I am afraid the nimby vote and developers cunning will win.

1 hour ago, liam said:

Are you sure the new site is going to include a track? Iam not sure about that.

Who knows ? My understanding is that planning permission is linked through o provision for a new track. However developers often find ways round planning permission so I can’t say what the e future holds. A case of ma be, maybe not. At least a deal with Rye House would provide certainty but it’s all in the sit at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

Who knows ? My understanding is that planning permission is linked through o provision for a new track. However developers often find ways round planning permission so I can’t say what the e future holds. A case of ma be, maybe not. At least a deal with Rye House would provide certainty but it’s all in the sit at the moment.

The application does not include a speedway track but does include a velodrome.

Interesting to see how the Council reacts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marko said:

Good question. Last time Jon Cook as on the mic he was saying they were talking to other interested parties to see if a deal could be done for next year. No further news on that so I suppose it can’t be ruled out completely. However you can’t just turn up and have a speedway meeting. There issues like security, maintenance, health and safety, insurance, cleaning, staff on the turnstiles, lighting and electrics and are a range of other things previously carried out by the stadium owners and incorporated in the cost of hiring the track but would be prohibitive if the speedway club had to pay for the whole lot. 

You can be sure that when the offices move out the vandals will move in. 

24 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

Good question. Last time Jon Cook as on the mic he was saying they were talking to other interested parties to see if a deal could be done for next year. No further news on that so I suppose it can’t be ruled out completely. However you can’t just turn up and have a speedway meeting. There issues like security, maintenance, health and safety, insurance, cleaning, staff on the turnstiles, lighting and electrics and are a range of other things previously carried out by the stadium owners and incorporated in the cost of hiring the track but would be prohibitive if the speedway club had to pay for the whole lot. 

A lot of landowners and developers don't want sitting tennants. It's far less hassle to secure the site and leave it empty.

12 hours ago, liam said:

Are you sure the new site is going to include a track? 

What 'new site' Liam?

Can you honestly believe a single word that comes out of Jon Cook's mouth?

There won't ever be a new Lakeside track in Essex. 

Doubt it? Answer me this. Where's the money going to come from? Lakeside have kept the current place running for years thanks primarily to cable-ties!

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

6 hours ago, Daytripper said:

They should start dismantling and auction bits off before the vandals turn up, I’d bid on all sorts of tat! :P

Still trying to figure out how I feel about the whole situation, but going to Rye for the rest of the season certainly makes sense at this stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

They should start dismantling and auction bits off before the vandals turn up, I’d bid on all sorts of tat! :P

Still trying to figure out how I feel about the whole situation, but going to Rye for the rest of the season certainly makes sense at this stage.

It's better to save one venue, than lose two.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Voice Of Reason said:

What 'new site' Liam?

Can you honestly believe a single word that comes out of Jon Cook's mouth?

There won't ever be a new Lakeside track in Essex. 

Doubt it? Answer me this. Where's the money going to come from? Lakeside have kept the current place running for years thanks primarily to cable-ties!

The new site which will be built on the current Arena Essex land. I don’t think a new track will be built and I never have, who would want to build a track for a dying sport with crowds decreasing every year and teams struggling to make money. Jon Cook can say what he likes but I don’t see speedway ever returning to Essex. The club will move to Rye House and that’s where they’ll stay.

How about Rainham,  alongside the marshes, near the Thames. There is a lot of old factories and the land is being used for landfill, so no chance of houses being built.

Only way there would be a new track is if the development was purely for sport, otherwise any form of housing would instantly shut down any argument for loud motor sports, even if you build a stadium, what about all the parking that would be required? you can't get to Arena Essex unless you drive so you would need space for a few hundred cars which would only be used twice a month, between April and September, totally unrealistic.

If it was a sports complex with football/rugby pitches, tennis courts, swimming pools etc then you would naturally have loads of parking dotted around the entire site, as a multi use site it would work perfectly but there is no money in that compared with residential and business use.

Imagine the house prices you could slap on that site? easy access to the M25, a huge shopping centre on your doorstep.