British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

The saddest thing about this whole episode, is how the club has been allowed to die with just a whimper. It doesent matter how cookie dresses it up, when the Hammers move to Rye, the game is up. We have had hardly any home meetings to attend, to share our memories and say goodbye. The fact that Arena Essex will still be staging motorsport until early November, is the hardest thing to accept. What a shambles.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, marko said:

Did it? They either kept that quiet or I must have missed it.

Think that moved to Rye House.

Agree with City Rebel.

30 years of my life just about to disappear into oblivion without any consultation with the supporters.

This 'exiting new era' rubbish is simply insulting to the intelligence and longevity of the core support.

Perhaps plans are afoot for an Essex based venue but I see no evidence of this. There's been way too much carrot dangling with regard to the sport continuing in the county. 

Whilst I appreciate the efforts of Jon Cook over the last few years, it just seems a little too easy to move the team to Rye.

But then again, while it is a passion and a way of life for supporters, it's simply a business for promoters of the sport....

• Like 2

Yes, to be more specific at the end of 2016 season I think. Have a look, it definitely ain’t there anymore. Shame as I had a go on it, and it was fun. 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, Eyejay said:

Yes, to be more specific at the end of 2016 season I think. Have a look, it definitely ain’t there anymore. Shame as I had a go on it, and it was fun. 

when the landlords did their 3 year extentsion they put the cost of hiring on Saturday up 2/3 fold for the training track

so martin hagon took it to rye bullt one on the centre green only for some prat to flatten it and put the hills on there

for the ktms they still do training and practice days on the main track as far as I know

yes the long term future of the club is still in doubt but at least we have a couple more seasons

even if it is at rye. I know its not ideal for people south of the tunnel I have friends who live in kent

but hopefully they can make it . the good thing is saturday meetings less traffic than the rush hours on a friday

re the future don't give up hope on our new stadium in Essex in a few years time as a stadium is in the building plans at the moment

but as we all know a few bulging brown envelopes here and there at the planning offices could change all that

as for the sport as a whole there is something afoot of which certain clubs and other interested partys get their

way then speedway in the south and south east could be on a exciting new path

watch this space.

COYH.

• Like 1

As a long standing older fan, my own criticism was never the track, it has always been the lack of comfortable viewing and his has

affected my attendances in recent years.  Unlike most, I enjoyed our year in the National League. I'll probably go to some meetings at

Rye House.  There are a few seats there, though not as many as in past years. I was told last week that Lakeside are putting out a

National league Select side very soon.  Can anybody tell me anything about it ?

Hi Hammer180.  Can you enlighten me about the impendings news for Southern based clubs?  I have heard no rumours.

Not sure what to make of the move to Rye House.  Better than complete shut-down but not ideal.  What will Rockets' fans

make of it ?  At least Saturdays makes it easier travel-wise.

challenge match against kent on the 17th

11 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Hi Hammer180.  Can you enlighten me about the impendings news for Southern based clubs?  I have heard no rumours.

Not sure what to make of the move to Rye House.  Better than complete shut-down but not ideal.  What will Rockets' fans

make of it ?  At least Saturdays makes it easier travel-wise.

I know its boring but cant really say anymore as don't want to step on peoples toes

and yet again its not set in concrete but hopefully in the next couple of months it will become clear

shouldn't really say anything but just wanted fans to keep the faith

24 minutes ago, liam said:

Double header at Rye House Saturday against Newcastle and Peterborough.

At least now we have more chance of making the playoffs

Peterborough must have forced into that one

2 hours ago, liam said:

Double header at Rye House Saturday against Newcastle and Peterborough.

Done I suspect as otherwise  our play-off hopes would have hung by a thread. Three home wins and we shall finish on 41 which ought to be enough. It could be a late night and might put off almost all apart from season ticket holders. Len Silver has put on double-headers in the past but starting at 6pm.  7pm could mean the Peterborough meeting finishing around 11.30pm.

I agree 6pm would have been more sensible, does Rye House have a curfew at all being so close to housing? If I choose to go it could be very touch and go as to whether I would be able to stay for all of the second meeting as I will be on night shift and then I have to worry about whether I will be able to get out of the car park as I could be boxed in, too many ifs and buts for me to risk it.

Also no mention of what the price will be for the double header, with a meeting on the Friday too, pricing will have to be kept sensible otherwise for two adults you could be looking at the best part of £100-£120 if you include programs over two days.