British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

2 hours ago, TonyE said:

So don't run R/R - I noticed the Comets had a guest for the unfortunate Dan Bewley so why not Lakeside? Given that it is at Rye - Nicolaj Busk Jacobsen springs to mind. I certainly agree running R/R is very risky.

Edited; As Kyle is not in our top three - R/R is the only option - damn. Better have a No, 8 on standby then.

Not a great deal of choice as the no. 8 cannot be included a PL or CL 1-7 or have an average which would to convert above 2.00.  Jason Edwards, who is sixteen  next Friday, would have been eligible had it not been for the fact that Eastbourne are riding the same evening. However, there is no reason I can see why he cannot be included for the match against Glasgow or the KO Cup matches v Peterborough.

Edited by tocha

For me I will go on Friday for one last time, not for the benefit of the current promotion but for old time sake, it’s like I have always said, the owners and riders will come and go but the fans always remain, it’s our club and that club is closing this Friday, it might continue at Rye for the remainder of the season but after that, it is the end, there will be no track, no Arena Essex, no Lakeside, the current promotion can move to Rye full time if they like but it won’t be our club, it will be theirs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marko said:

For me I will go on Friday for one last time, not for the benefit of the current promotion but for old time sake, it’s like I have always said, the owners and riders will come and go but the fans always remain, it’s our club and that club is closing this Friday, it might continue at Rye for the remainder of the season but after that, it is the end, there will be no track, no Arena Essex, no Lakeside, the current promotion can move to Rye full time if they like but it won’t be our club, it will be theirs.

As an ex Wimbledon fan I feel your loss, I drive past plough lane most days, and have seen it reduced to a pile of rubble. I will continue to support all my local venues until there are no more, then it will be time to hang up my prog board!.

Arena Essex / Lakeside will be finished after this season for me aswell it just won’t be the same, not sure I’ll go Rye House I’ll just see how I feel when the season starts. I really thought we would have got at least another season at home.

£25 for both meetings Saturday or £17 for the Peterborough meeting only and turnstiles will open after heat 14 of the Newcastle meeting. You won’t be able just to pay for the Newcastle meeting.

Edited by liam

Not being fully up to speed with the Lakeside situation but are they planning to create the Thames gateway any time soon? Or is it just the promotion grabbing an opportunity which is Ryes loss. Surely the Thames gateway has been on the cards for years so presumably the local councils have not been interested in helping finding a suitable venue elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, TB1 said:

Not being fully up to speed with the Lakeside situation but are they planning to create the Thames gateway any time soon? Or is it just the promotion grabbing an opportunity which is Ryes loss. Surely the Thames gateway has been on the cards for years so presumably the local councils have not been interested in helping finding a suitable venue elsewhere.

I would imagine they grabbed the Rye option before another promotion did.

10 hours ago, marko said:

Potential disaster running two meetings on the trot with only six riders, that's a lot of wear and tear on the other six, our reserves could easily end up having 12 rides each over the course of the night if there are any further problems, rider replacement always means bigger gaps between heats with riders having two on the trot, we only have one man who can drive the tractors so grading breaks take longer, will Rye track staff be allowed to help or will Ken insist on doing everything himself as normal? grading and watering takes longer if there is only one man doing it.

We need to get these meeting on, I understand that, but a 7pm is really just not a sensible idea.

Ken is Rye house too :D

But to answer your question there is a second person to do the grading, and plans are being put in place to ensure the track preparation between the two meetings is as small as possible. 

The issue at Arena this season is as simple as there isn't a second person to do either grading or watering hence why Ken does it himself, it isn't something that he insists on doing.

I think it's a poor mentality to be honest to say that it will no longer be the same club after this season... Everything will likely remain the same. The same announcer and music style, the majority of the same people on the track staff team, same people running pits and the same promotion and (hopefully) the same Hammers name. The only thing that is different is the venue in my eyes. It's not unusual across all sports for teams to have to change venues at some point in their history and I don't recall fans of those clubs ever claiming that it isn't their team! And it is proven to have worked in speedway too, just take a look at the likes of Coventry and Cradley having to partner up with other facilities. They are both carrying on strongly as far as i'm aware. 

Here is a quick story about a local Ice hockey team that has just come out of the other side of what we are about to enter... 

In 2013 the Romford Raiders lost their long time home ice rink in the center of Romford. A new rink was promised by the council to be built as a replacement elsewhere in the town, however, there was uncertainty about this among the fans. From the next season, the Romford Raiders moved about 30 minutes away from Romford to share a rink with another team on a temporary basis, and changed the name to the London Raiders to suit the change. Although many fans did not follow the team in this change. A small hardcore group of supporters continued to travel and support the team, a team that still maintained it's identity throughout its temporary stay. It wasn't an easy road, the club almost folded and it took the best part of 5 years, but back in February the team moved back to Romford in a brand new facility in the Heart of the town. Now, heading into the new season the club are set for a fantastic future in a very supportive new home. This was not just achieved by hope and the council coming through on their promises but was achieved by the loyal fans, who despite not having a proper 'Home' nor having the same name, never gave up on the club despite many, many low points. 

All i'm saying is that I have witnessed first hand that these situations don't necessarily mean the end, and a bright future awaits on the other end of a rocky road. We need to all stick with the team we love and support and help them survive. Whilst proving that there is a market for the sport in a new facility somewhere in the area that we can soon call home. 

Keep the faith, and let's smash the rest of this season and walk away as treble champions!!! COYH

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, matertron said:

I think it's a poor mentality to be honest to say that it will no longer be the same club after this season... Everything will likely remain the same. The same announcer and music style, the majority of the same people on the track staff team, same people running pits and the same promotion and (hopefully) the same Hammers name. The only thing that is different is the venue in my eyes. It's not unusual across all sports for teams to have to change venues at some point in their history and I don't recall fans of those clubs ever claiming that it isn't their team! And it is proven to have worked in speedway too, just take a look at the likes of Coventry and Cradley having to partner up with other facilities. They are both carrying on strongly as far as i'm aware. 

Here is a quick story about a local Ice hockey team that has just come out of the other side of what we are about to enter... 

In 2013 the Romford Raiders lost their long time home ice rink in the center of Romford. A new rink was promised by the council to be built as a replacement elsewhere in the town, however, there was uncertainty about this among the fans. From the next season, the Romford Raiders moved about 30 minutes away from Romford to share a rink with another team on a temporary basis, and changed the name to the London Raiders to suit the change. Although many fans did not follow the team in this change. A small hardcore group of supporters continued to travel and support the team, a team that still maintained it's identity throughout its temporary stay. It wasn't an easy road, the club almost folded and it took the best part of 5 years, but back in February the team moved back to Romford in a brand new facility in the Heart of the town. Now, heading into the new season the club are set for a fantastic future in a very supportive new home. This was not just achieved by hope and the council coming through on their promises but was achieved by the loyal fans, who despite not having a proper 'Home' nor having the same name, never gave up on the club despite many, many low points. 

All i'm saying is that I have witnessed first hand that these situations don't necessarily mean the end, and a bright future awaits on the other end of a rocky road. We need to all stick with the team we love and support and help them survive. Whilst proving that there is a market for the sport in a new facility somewhere in the area that we can soon call home. 

Keep the faith, and let's smash the rest of this season and walk away as treble champions!!! COYH

Cradley no longer run in the league and Coventry are getting crowds of about 200. Neither are doing strongly.

1 hour ago, TB1 said:

I think there are two separate things here. The cogs for the Thames Gateway are beginning to turn very slowly but that's not the immediate problem. If it were only the Thames Gateway there would probably be a few seasons lft at Arena before it happens. The immediate problem is that the family who owned the stadium and ran the stock cars sold up to new owners who, I understand wanted Motorsport to continue at least for the time being because it will be some time before redevelopment starts as they are only just starting environmental impact assessments, site contamination surveys, risk assessments and all that sort of thing.

The problem arises because the ex-owners who were still administering the site have had enough and are leaving after whatever pay days they can get with end of season meetings. Apart from a handful of big stocks meetings each year the run of the mill meetings have been struggling for some time . One of the people in the shops told me a few years ago they had just had a stick car meeting that only had 23 cars the the whole meeting. Falling profits from the stock cars mean the shops and food outlets have been charged exhorbiant rents , as has the speedway track. I understand Rye House is a lot cheaper to hire and that may well have impacted on the decision, plus as someone else has said, they may have wanted to get into RH before someone else did.

I'll miss Arena though. A lot of outsiders don't understand how anyone can like such a dump of a place but it does hold something special for the regulars. It's always had a friendly crowd, people you see each week and maybe nod to and chat to even if you don't know them. Critics of the place will never understand that aspect .

I haven't decided about Rye House next year. The term "Hammers" has a special meaning to me, having grown up close to the old Custom zHouse Stadium, like many other Lakeside fans. If it continues as the Hammers I'll probably go, but if it's under some other name I just can't see myself having the same affection for it.

I have to say that when Hackney finally disbanded, I would have driven to ANY track within the UK and continued to follow my team.

I know that not everybody drives but bleedin' hell, Lakeside are only moving a few junctions further around the M25 - anyone would think they are moving to the Southern Hemisphere the way some people are talking.

To be perfectly honest, surely it's worth it for the better facilities that Rye House Stadium offers; rather than the Hell-hole of a 1984 Time-warp Arena Essex.

2 minutes ago, The Voice Of Reason said:

I have to say that when Hackney finally disbanded, I would have driven to ANY track within the UK and continued to follow my team.

I know that not everybody drives but bleedin' hell, Lakeside are only moving a few junctions further around the M25 - anyone would think they are moving to the Southern Hemisphere the way some people are talking.

To be perfectly honest, surely it's worth it for the better facilities that Rye House Stadium offers; rather than the Hell-hole of a 1984 Time-warp Arena Essex.

As a regular that attends both tracks, I can honestly say that Rye has resembled a building site since Len left. The huge mound of earth dumped on the centre green at the start of the season, was the final straw for a lot of Rye fans. The great facilities are just a myth.

It is just history repeating itself. The rockets who are and will always be recognised as a team from Rayleigh. Riders catching up at the blinking owl cafe on the A127 after a meeting are history yet the man who made it what it was is Len Silver. It was his team as was Hackney. Many Rayleigh supporters followed the team to Rye House and religiously picked up the coach from the Weir on a Sunday afternoon but it was never the same. Those who only knew Arena Essex will go through the same pain and emotion. Sad to say but the the roar of bikes in Essex will soon be history and the chances of the sport ever coming back to the county are remote. Enjoy and savour the last meeting but don’t waste too much time in building any the hope of the sport ever returning. It will not and with the demand for property and the nimby element it will never happen. Just be grateful that you saw the best of a sport that is now a shadow of what it once was. 

• Like 3