British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

1 hour ago, Daytripper said:

I think there are two separate things here. The cogs for the Thames Gateway are beginning to turn very slowly but that's not the immediate problem. If it were only the Thames Gateway there would probably be a few seasons lft at Arena before it happens. The immediate problem is that the family who owned the stadium and ran the stock cars sold up to new owners who, I understand wanted Motorsport to continue at least for the time being because it will be some time before redevelopment starts as they are only just starting environmental impact assessments, site contamination surveys, risk assessments and all that sort of thing.

The problem arises because the ex-owners who were still administering the site have had enough and are leaving after whatever pay days they can get with end of season meetings. Apart from a handful of big stocks meetings each year the run of the mill meetings have been struggling for some time . One of the people in the shops told me a few years ago they had just had a stick car meeting that only had 23 cars the the whole meeting. Falling profits from the stock cars mean the shops and food outlets have been charged exhorbiant rents , as has the speedway track. I understand Rye House is a lot cheaper to hire and that may well have impacted on the decision, plus as someone else has said, they may have wanted to get into RH before someone else did.

I'll miss Arena though. A lot of outsiders don't understand how anyone can like such a dump of a place but it does hold something special for the regulars. It's always had a friendly crowd, people you see each week and maybe nod to and chat to even if you don't know them. Critics of the place will never understand that aspect .

I haven't decided about Rye House next year. The term "Hammers" has a special meaning to me, having grown up close to the old Custom zHouse Stadium, like many other Lakeside fans. If it continues as the Hammers I'll probably go, but if it's under some other name I just can't see myself having the same affection for it.

Thanks for that interesting insight. I guess the owners wallets had been on life support for some time.

One other point surely the last laps should belong to the likes of Martin Goodwin or Rob Tilbury 

This reminds me of 1996 when Terry Russell took his licence and assets and moved it to Hackney, new club, new name, the London Lions neither carried on the history of Arena Essex or the Hackney Kestrels, it started a fresh, but it was a disaster of a season and whilst I went to all the meetings at Hackney it never felt like home, Fortunately Arena Essex carried on in the development league, it wasn’t great but it allowed the club to transition back to lower league racing which was always its natural place.

Stuart and Jon are entitled to take their promoting licence whoever they choose but it won’t be Arena Essex, they decided not to try seek a future their, what they have done is no different to Terry Russell, he moved when he saw an opportunity to go to a better stadium, Stuart and Jon are doing exactly the same except Terry never pretended to be Arena Essex, he targeted a London based fan base and any others  hoping on board would be a bonus.

1 hour ago, matertron said:

I think it's a poor mentality to be honest to say that it will no longer be the same club after this season... Everything will likely remain the same. The same announcer and music style, the majority of the same people on the track staff team, same people running pits and the same promotion and (hopefully) the same Hammers name. The only thing that is different is the venue in my eyes. It's not unusual across all sports for teams to have to change venues at some point in their history and I don't recall fans of those clubs ever claiming that it isn't their team! And it is proven to have worked in speedway too, just take a look at the likes of Coventry and Cradley having to partner up with other facilities. They are both carrying on strongly as far as i'm aware. 

Here is a quick story about a local Ice hockey team that has just come out of the other side of what we are about to enter... 

In 2013 the Romford Raiders lost their long time home ice rink in the center of Romford. A new rink was promised by the council to be built as a replacement elsewhere in the town, however, there was uncertainty about this among the fans. From the next season, the Romford Raiders moved about 30 minutes away from Romford to share a rink with another team on a temporary basis, and changed the name to the London Raiders to suit the change. Although many fans did not follow the team in this change. A small hardcore group of supporters continued to travel and support the team, a team that still maintained it's identity throughout its temporary stay. It wasn't an easy road, the club almost folded and it took the best part of 5 years, but back in February the team moved back to Romford in a brand new facility in the Heart of the town. Now, heading into the new season the club are set for a fantastic future in a very supportive new home. This was not just achieved by hope and the council coming through on their promises but was achieved by the loyal fans, who despite not having a proper 'Home' nor having the same name, never gave up on the club despite many, many low points. 

All i'm saying is that I have witnessed first hand that these situations don't necessarily mean the end, and a bright future awaits on the other end of a rocky road. We need to all stick with the team we love and support and help them survive. Whilst proving that there is a market for the sport in a new facility somewhere in the area that we can soon call home. 

Keep the faith, and let's smash the rest of this season and walk away as treble champions!!! COYH

OK, well if its going to be exactly the same at Rye House then I would like to offer some constructive advise if I may, please announce the starting line ups in the proper order White - Yellow - Red - Blue, I understand you have been going to speedway long enough to know this is how its done, Re the music, I don't really care what you play so long as it is different on week by week basis and not just the exact same song recycled from the previous, I mean I like R.E.M but every meeting I have been too this season (and only missed 2 or 3) I am sure you have played "losing my religion" now its a good song but its not that good!

We were promised before the season starting that presentation and the show in general was going to be made better, it hasn't, suddenly moving tracks isn't going to fix that, its part of the overall package and should not be ignored no matter how good the racing is on the track itself.

8 hours ago, marko said:

This reminds me of 1996 when Terry Russell took his licence and assets and moved it to Hackney, new club, new name, the London Lions neither carried on the history of Arena Essex or the Hackney Kestrels, it started a fresh, but it was a disaster of a season and whilst I went to all the meetings at Hackney it never felt like home, Fortunately Arena Essex carried on in the development league, it wasn’t great but it allowed the club to transition back to lower league racing which was always its natural place.

Stuart and Jon are entitled to take their promoting licence whoever they choose but it won’t be Arena Essex, they decided not to try seek a future their, what they have done is no different to Terry Russell, he moved when he saw an opportunity to go to a better stadium, Stuart and Jon are doing exactly the same except Terry never pretended to be Arena Essex, he targeted a London based fan base and any others  hoping on board would be a bonus.

I am as gutted and upset as anyone else about the club moving but I don’t see how the promotion can take any blame, the raceway is closing and that’s it and I can’t see the council ever building a new track. They have taken the opportunity to keep the club alive somewhere else and I hope it works out I really do. To you and me plus many others the club won’t ever be the same but at least we have the option to continue to support the club. This is not the same as when Russell decided to just move sticks with the London Lions which I hated and only went once. If the club keeps its identity I will most probably give Rye a go but if they lose the identity I won’t bother.

• Like 2

When Wimbledon moved to Eastbourne in 1991 they kept their identity. By 1992, there was no trace the Dons ever existed.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

When Wimbledon moved to Eastbourne in 1991 they kept their identity. By 1992, there was no trace the Dons ever existed.

That could well happen once the move happens to Rye House but then again it might not, what we do know is if they don’t move there will be no trace Lakeside ever existed from next year.

• Like 1

I am just not convinced its being done for the reasons they say, one week we are being told they want to stay at Arena either as sole tenants or with another motorsport promotion and then the next we are told not motorsports can take place at Arena Essex after this year, time will tell I guess but I wouldn't be surprised if this time next season the site looks exactly as it does today albeit with a few extra weeds growing around the place.

At the end of the day its about what is in here (the heart) and that for me is the place, not the name of the team who races there as such, being old school I will always be an Arena Essex Hammer, the whole Lakeside thing has never sat well with me (its like they tried to bury the past because Arena Essex was always seen as a cinderella club but they still won more than Lakeside have) but its still Arena Essex, take away the Arena and I have very little left to be emotionally invested in, so sure you can move to another track, call it Lakeside (even though its 40 miles away) but that's not my past, Arena Essex is my past.

• Like 1

the club is the club where ever it is 

at least we have a team for the rest of this season and next and 2020 at rye hopefully

then we will have a clearer picture of what the future holds as real fans of the club you should

all get behind it now as the best way to do that is support the club by actually supporting it rather than moaning

re the production on the night the club can only use the facilities of the arena they are at and please remember 90% of the staff

are volunteers and the club does not have the money to throw at  top of the range or up to date equipment

I feel also that some on here are really speedway fans and not really fans of lakeside and to keep the sport we all love

alive we need to get with the times as hoping the old days of hackney west ham or Wimbledon will not save the sport

it needs to move on starting with the old fogies at the BSPA.

COYH

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, marko said:

I am just not convinced its being done for the reasons they say, one week we are being told they want to stay at Arena either as sole tenants or with another motorsport promotion and then the next we are told not motorsports can take place at Arena Essex after this year, time will tell I guess but I wouldn't be surprised if this time next season the site looks exactly as it does today albeit with a few extra weeds growing around the place.

At the end of the day its about what is in here (the heart) and that for me is the place, not the name of the team who races there as such, being old school I will always be an Arena Essex Hammer, the whole Lakeside thing has never sat well with me (its like they tried to bury the past because Arena Essex was always seen as a cinderella club but they still won more than Lakeside have) but its still Arena Essex, take away the Arena and I have very little left to be emotionally invested in, so sure you can move to another track, call it Lakeside (even though its 40 miles away) but that's not my past, Arena Essex is my past.

Another thing I never liked, was changing the clubs colours. West Ham speedway was red, white & blue, so was Arena Essex. It was a nice connection with the past. Changing to the football clubs colours didn't sit well with me. We don't all support West Ham United, do we?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, marko said:

To be honest Marko I agree with pretty much everything you say and I’ll struggle to feel the same about the club once it’s moved, I just don’t think the promotion had much choice. Friday is going to be a sad evening.

17 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Another thing I never liked, was changing the clubs colours. West Ham speedway was red, white & blue, so was Arena Essex. It was a nice connection with the past. Changing to the football clubs colours didn't sit well with me. We don't all support West Ham United, do we?

If I remember rightly that change was around 2009/ 10 when some commercial deals were tied up, and I think that was when we got the Royal Navy sponsorship, some kind of tie with WHU and plenty of TV exposure. The change of colours was linked in with all that. Amazing how relatively strong the sport was even then compared with today.

Personally I don't mind the change of colours, but the identity of "Hammers" is emotionally very important to me. Having said that, there are other fans who see Rayliegh and Hackney almost as a religion, so one way or another we have to find a way to adapt, or leave the sport. In one sense I almost wish it was closing down completely, then at least I could say I've had a good time in the sport, draw a line under it and move on but as long as there is something there, albeit at Rye, I' ll somehow be compelled to give this frustrating, exciting sport another try.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

If I remember rightly that change was around 2009/ 10 when some commercial deals were tied up, and I think that was when we got the Royal Navy sponsorship, some kind of tie with WHU and plenty of TV exposure. The change of colours was linked in with all that. Amazing how relatively strong the sport was even then compared with today.

Personally I don't mind the change of colours, but the identity of "Hammers" is emotionally very important to me. Having said that, there are other fans who see Rayliegh and Hackney almost as a religion, so one way or another we have to find a way to adapt, or leave the sport. In one sense I almost wish it was closing down completely, then at least I could say I've had a good time in the sport, draw a line under it and move on but as long as there is something there, albeit at Rye, I' ll somehow be compelled to give this frustrating, exciting sport another try.

It's amazing how negative people are!

Having watched all of the  matches at both Rye House / Lakeside over the last two years I can say it was great fun at both venues....and me being a long standing Hackney supporter.

I will again go to Rye to watch Speedway, that's the main thing.

Yes it's a shame Arena is going but things move on.....

I for one will be giving my full support to Jon and Stuart who thankfully are trying to keep things going...and ironically in one of our most successful years for some time!

Up the Hammers....

• Like 7

14 hours ago, marko said:

OK, well if its going to be exactly the same at Rye House then I would like to offer some constructive advise if I may, please announce the starting line ups in the proper order White - Yellow - Red - Blue, I understand you have been going to speedway long enough to know this is how its done, Re the music, I don't really care what you play so long as it is different on week by week basis and not just the exact same song recycled from the previous, I mean I like R.E.M but every meeting I have been too this season (and only missed 2 or 3) I am sure you have played "losing my religion" now its a good song but its not that good!

We were promised before the season starting that presentation and the show in general was going to be made better, it hasn't, suddenly moving tracks isn't going to fix that, its part of the overall package and should not be ignored no matter how good the racing is on the track itself.

Only missed 2 or 3 or only attended 2 or 3 this season? Pretty certain I have only played that song thrice this season and the other one you moaned about before twice. But if you hate my style that much at least you only have to put up with it once more. I wonder if perhaps Kent would be a better place for your speedway viewing going forward? almost silent music there and you can barely hear the announcing so nothing to moan about! admission also includes a free lack of any sort of atmosphere. But at least you are never going to hear a song get repeated sometime across a season! And I don't know what announcer you listen too but I do do it as W-Y-R-B :lol:.

Now if you do have any issues please do feel free to pop up to the box on Friday and speak to me in person, this is not a thread about club announcers nor do I imagine people particularly want to be reading about it with all that's going on.

• Like 2

To be honest I think you do a decent job mate and I couldn’t really care what order you announce the riders or what music is on either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matertron said:

Only missed 2 or 3 or only attended 2 or 3 this season? Pretty certain I have only played that song thrice this season and the other one you moaned about before twice. But if you hate my style that much at least you only have to put up with it once more. I wonder if perhaps Kent would be a better place for your speedway viewing going forward? almost silent music there and you can barely hear the announcing so nothing to moan about! admission also includes a free lack of any sort of atmosphere. But at least you are never going to hear a song get repeated sometime across a season! And I don't know what announcer you listen too but I do do it as W-Y-R-B :lol:.

Now if you do have any issues please do feel free to pop up to the box on Friday and speak to me in person, this is not a thread about club announcers nor do I imagine people particularly want to be reading about it with all that's going on.

The music is quite key to the overall entertainment and over the years the same music is played time and time again,  The Final Countdown, Right here, Right Now, Blitzkreig Bop etc.

I see that once again you have gone on the attack with your comments (perhaps your better off at Kent), like a previous post where you commented that "all the moaners will be happy now".  Rather inappropriate at this time in my opinion.