British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

I expect this will be an Eastbourne Dons situation.

Eventually this team will be known as Rye House Rockets, I'm sure. If not next season, then soon after.

10 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I expect this will be an Eastbourne Dons situation.

Eventually this team will be known as Rye House Rockets, I'm sure. If not next season, then soon after.

Eastbourne Dons, that name still makes me shudder. As a lifelong Wimbledon fan, that was a hard pill to swallow. I'm in no doubt that the hammers fans will be feeling the same.

36 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Was thinking the same and perhaps leave the past behind on both counts and perhaps rebrand. Anyone for Rye House Raiders. 

Grrr!. Leave us old 'ammers with some vestige of the past. Hoddesdon Hammers sounds ok to me.

• Like 2

Ok - A question for both RH & Lakeside fans.

What chances do you think of the new RH dropping into the N/L next season and if they will go to a Saturday night race night.

If there is a revamp of the league set up next year and IF say it becomes a top League of Prem plus top Champ clubs with a 2nd League of say second half on Champ and N/L clubs then surely Rye will suffer as almost certainly would lose the 3 Swindon assets plus Lawson ??

Of course IF the league structure stays as is they could maybe get away with it unless the likes of Morris/Lawson ride in POL on a Sunday which may make it difficult. Also if Ellis has overseas commitments somewhere ??

I say If League structure stays as is because many (incl me) feel they need to change something as Speedway as it is currently is on a downward spiral in the top flight and even a lot of Champ clubs are/have been struggling. There has also been a lot of talk and rumours about changes may well be coming to the league set up for 2019.

For me, I am very sad to see Lakeside go. Only 20/30 mins drive from my home and have attended most seasons in part over all the years they have been there. Having seen so many tracks around the South go over the last 48 years incl my beloved Hackney Hawks it's a sad sign of the times of the sport in the UK.

Once the bspa are removed from speedway should move forward in 2019, it can't keep being run by clowns like godfrey/chapman

I have been told there are four clubs at mo that want to breakaway from bspa and they need at least 8, lets hope godfrey becomes chairman at bspa, if he does other clubs will follow(and race friday nights if they like)

• Like 3

It wouldn't suprise me to see two bigger leagues next year and the NL dumped. It's not really a training league anymore, and some of the teams would be better off running SDL level of racing. The likes of Mildenhall and Kent should be staging a higher level of speedway with their crowd levels.

• Like 2

It says on the Lakeside web site there is one final meeting at Purfleet,  v Glasgow on the 14th of September, but according to the BSPA website and the Peterborough website the league match between the 2 clubs takes place at Lakeside on the 8th of September?

15 minutes ago, NickH114 said:

It says on the Lakeside web site there is one final meeting at Purfleet,  v Glasgow on the 14th of September, but according to the BSPA website and the Peterborough website the league match between the 2 clubs takes place at Lakeside on the 8th of September?

That's the way I read it. 

2 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Grrr!. Leave us old 'ammers with some vestige of the past. Hoddesdon Hammers sounds ok to me.

How about Rye House Bombers. That would be a vestige of the past and good memories of the derby matches between Rayleigh and Romford. Who were the final holders of the Essex Gold Cup?

1 minute ago, Icicle said:

it will be the House Hammers....safe & dull....

That has to be the favourite.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Was thinking the same and perhaps leave the past behind on both counts and perhaps rebrand. Anyone for Rye House Raiders. 

There isn't really any choice in the matter, once the ground shuts down and the season is over, the name and its history is gone with it, this is not about moving to a new track, its about moving to a different club with its own history.

If they try and appeal to both ex Rockets and Hammers fans, they could end up appealing to neither of them.

They should just do a new joint promotion between the two clubs, maybe call it Hertfordshire rather than Rye House (Somerset vs Hertfordshire hmmm sounds like cricket)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Icicle said:

it will be the House Hammers....safe & dull....

Make it ,Ham & Rye.Tastily sandwiching both in!!

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Make it ,Ham & Rye.Tastily sandwiching both in!!

And add some rocket to make it even tastier  ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marko said:

There isn't really any choice in the matter, once the ground shuts down and the season is over, the name and its history is gone with it, this is not about moving to a new track, its about moving to a different club with its own history.

If they try and appeal to both ex Rockets and Hammers fans, they could end up appealing to neither of them.

They should just do a new joint promotion between the two clubs, maybe call it Hertfordshire rather than Rye House (Somerset vs Hertfordshire hmmm sounds like cricket)

Herts Hearts:unsure:

I'll get my coat