British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

7 hours ago, SFTGNigel said:

I presume we all see this as a nail in the coffin for the Rockets for the foreseeable future then? 

Is there not a rule if a Promotion pr Promoter folds they are barred from promoting for so many years thus meaning a new Promotion would have to step in?

At this stage the team name is not important.....The survival of speedway in Essex is......

• Like 7

If they can make it work on a sat night whichever league its a plus rather than 2 clubs finishing next yr

Its positive whatever they call themselves

These lakeside meetings will gauge the interest between both fans before then

• Like 1

Surely the main aim should be to merge Rye House and Lakeside into one club?

no good using the Rye House name , this could actually be the makings of a really good club if done properly. With Jon Cook involved though, people would be right to have concerns.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, waco said:

At this stage the team name is not important.....The survival of speedway in Essex is......

I agree but unfortunately the chances of finding a suitable piece of land and having the financial resources to fund the development are a very long shot. Rayleigh in the 70’s did consider Rawerth Lane but that came to nothing, the old greyhound track in Southend was potentially another option but this was forty plus years ago. I followed the Rockets to Rye House but it was never the same and those who went to the Weir would know what I mean. Arena Essex was a good option but once the Chick Woodruff family let thing go the writing was on the wall. Chick was a good guy who gave the sport a chance despite it not being his primary interest. A few pieces of land out towards Clacton-on-Sea and Jaywick could be an option but convincing Tendring council might be an uphill struggle. In the south of the county and taking a line south of Witham, my guess is that you have no chance given the proximity/travelling time to to London and with the demand for housing it is sad to say but speedway in Essex may well have finally come to an end. I would like to be proved wrong but I cannot see the sport establishing itself again in the county.

I fear you may be right. I think the chances of a new track opening anywhere in the country are slim. The demand for any piece of land in the South East for housing,  makes it virtually impossible.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I fear you may be right. I think the chances of a new track opening anywhere in the country are slim. The demand for any piece of land in the South East for housing,  makes it virtually impossible.

None of today's Promoters would even be interested in building a new track even if they were given the land.Its agood time to get out the sport for many of them.

• Confused 1

Hammer House Horrors ??

(i'll get me coat...)

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Hammer House Horrors ??

(i'll get me coat...)

You're showing your age!

The statement from Lakeside seems a positive one which I hope is good news for both supporters of Lakeside and Rye House going forward

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NickH114 said:

It says on the Lakeside web site there is one final meeting at Purfleet,  v Glasgow on the 14th of September, but according to the BSPA website and the Peterborough website the league match between the 2 clubs takes place at Lakeside on the 8th of September?

They cannot ride at Arena Essex on the 8th September as there is a RTS meeting there. Also, the meeting due to take place at Rye House on 29th September coincides with the 4th round of the Flat Track series.

11 minutes ago, tocha said:

They cannot ride at Arena Essex on the 8th September as there is a RTS meeting there. Also, the meeting due to take place at Rye House on 29th September coincides with the 4th round of the Flat Track series.

The Rye House website has the 29th confirmed as lakeside v Peterborough in their fixture list. 

14 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Is there not a rule if a Promotion pr Promoter folds they are barred from promoting for so many years thus meaning a new Promotion would have to step in?

Surely it would depend on the circumstances. if a promotion was kicked out because of an outrageous act by the stadium owner, there would be no doubts about the promotion. Unlike a club quitting because of massive debts to riders and the BSPA, in which case they would be held accountable. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Surely it would depend on the circumstances. if a promotion was kicked out because of an outrageous act by the stadium owner, there would be no doubts about the promotion. Unlike a club quitting because of massive debts to riders and the BSPA, in which case they would be held accountable. 

Sounds familiar.