British Speedway Forum
KevH

Lakeside Future In Serious Doubt

3 hours ago, NickRushbrook said:

It's a tough one this. The statement is Ill-timed but unavoidable for the promotion. 

Expect to see attendances drop off for the remainder of what was a most promising season.

I fear this will in-turn, be unconvincing for the promotion to pull out all the stops for another season.

I've already mentioned to the club numerous times that there is land available in the south Ockendon area which I believe is ideal but I have had a lack of response but perhaps I'll try again as i know the land owner very well.

Who would build a speedway track right now? The sport is on its knees.

34 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

if the rumours are to be believed the ones in power need 3 teams from the top 2 leagues to go under for there master plan to work 

Maybe more than three. Seems to be pretty much an open secret they want to reduce it to maybe a maximum of 12 PL/CL clubs so it's a manageable size for one big league. Of course idiots like Chapman and Godfrey are too thick to realise that less clubs mean les fans overall and the contraction continues.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daytripper said:

Maybe more than three. Seems to be pretty much an open secret they want to reduce it to maybe a maximum of 12 PL/CL clubs so it's a manageable size for one big league. Of course idiots like Chapman and Godfrey are too thick to realise that less clubs mean les fans overall and the contraction continues.

I have heard 16. 12 means that no less than 6 will be forced to close and that's hard to imagine. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I have heard 16. 12 means that no less than 6 will be forced to close and that's hard to imagine. 

Or race at a lower level

15 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

Or race at a lower level

I don't think they can do that. There simply aren't enough riders at NL level and even if they change the rules and allow more current Championship riders I still don't think there will be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, liam said:

Who would build a speedway track right now? The sport is on its knees.

Well....I would.....if I had the capital.

I really don't know how viable the location would be but it's got to be worth a look if the owners really are searching for a new home?

I could literally arrange a meeting/visit tomorrow.

Don't suppose you fancy going halfs with me and setting up a new home oursleves do you mate?!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NickRushbrook said:

Well....I would.....if I had the capital.

I really don't know how viable the location would be but it's got to be worth a look if the owners really are searching for a new home?

I could literally arrange a meeting/visit tomorrow.

Don't suppose you fancy going halfs with me and setting up a new home oursleves do you mate?!

Lol, I wish I could mate I really do. 

Article on BBC news about Arena Essex so now it seems I and many others will no longer be able to watch on a regular basis the sport we love, I usually went to Rye House now today's depressing news.  Perhaps Lakeside could rent the track from Rye House at least we could get to watch some speedway in the Essex/Herts area.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-45044933

• Like 1

I will still go to Eastbourne and Kent, plus a few trips to the island. Losing Rye and Lakeside would be the biggest loss to me geographicly since Oxford and Reading shut in 2007/8.

The less tracks there are the less new supporters can be encouraged to watch the sport, people  in Essex who have never watched Speedway are hardly likely to venture across the Dartford crossing at rush hour to give watching Speedway at Kent a try. Even if tracks run at National League level what is needed are more local tracks and local derbys.  My nearest tracks will now be Kent which will probably be out of the question due to the Dartford crossing and Ipswich which will be a 90 minute drive each way which will also mean leaving home early to negotiate the rush hour on the A12 and A14. Luckily I'm retired so will make occasional trips to Ipswich but regular speedway watching is now out of the question.

7 hours ago, poppetman said:

The best option for a British fan these days is to watch Polish/Swedish league on Freesports.

Never understood why somebody would disregard live action, fresh air, watching a team you support and a night amongst friends for TV, indoors and sitting usually on your own, watching teams you have no feelings for. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Never understood why somebody would disregard live action, fresh air, watching a team you support and a night amongst friends for TV, indoors and sitting usually on your own, watching teams you have no feelings for. 

We are all different and enjoy different aspects of the same things - in this case, a good speedway race. I have almost given up on sitting and watching speedway in the fresh air because there is no sense of urgency about getting on with the meeting ( at King's Lynn at least ). The Tuesday night racing on Freesports is usually much better than what I see here. I would happily pay for Pay Per View broadcasts of UK away meetings ( accepting that it is not going to be to a BT standard ) if only the BSPA had gotten on with organising what could possibly be a good income stream.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scaramanga said:

if the rumours are to be believed the ones in power need 3 teams from the top 2 leagues to go under for there master plan to work 

Seems a strange Masterplan:unsure: