British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Belle Vue v King's Lynn 06/08/18

21 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Dire as a racetrack maybe but smooth, consistent and free of holes, ruts and bumps. Meaning all four riders can go flat out with confidence rather than worrying about being thrown off course.

And meaning most of the time heats are won from the gate.

Poole’s track over Saddlebow 365 days a year.

• Haha 4

I'd have gone with Tungate and Bewley in heat 15. They'd only been beaten once between them all night and even on that occasion Tungate got really close to passing Rob Lambert. Plus they ride really well together as a pair.  I would have put Drozdz in heat 14 after his previous race pass of Proctor though.

Edited by Ace no.5

I think that the track had been over watered, which is why it was so grippy in the early part of the meeting. Congratulations to Kings Lynn on a deserved win. Good to see Iversen doing well, one of my favourite riders. A good size crowd, brilliant atmosphere and although not as many good races as usual, due to the grippy surface, an enjoyable meeting helped by the closeness of the scores. Highlights for me were heat 11, which was superb, Drozdz fighting all the way and beating Proctor to the line in heat 12 and the battle between Iversen and Bewley in heat 15. 

I would have put Fricke in heat 15 with Bewley but I can understand why Lemon chose Tungate. He and Bewley were out best two on the night. The reality was that the previous four heats had been won from gates 1 and 3, the gates King's Lynn chose, so I think the odds were against us, whoever we picked.

Cook is still not at his best at the NSS although our best away rider and Worrall is still struggling after his long absence through injury. We need to see what the format is next year before we start planning who should and shouldn't be retained.

Monarchs fan taking in this match. Five ex and one current Edinburgh rider in the match so really enjoyed out.

re heat 15. Surprised to see Dan off gate 4, only one winner from that gate all night. Thought the obvious choice would be Bewley off 2 and Fricke off 4. Cookie seemed a bit subdued last night, hope he picks up at Kings Lynn and GP.

Following the meeting on twitter, it was always going to be a close call, with not much to choose between either of them.    Both can say they had riders who didn't perform as you would expect,   and can also say they had riders who excelled on the night.    Looking at the stats,  both teams had similar number of winners, and also a similar number of last places .  so, win or lose,   the end was always going to be close.     The Stars are fortunate to have 2 top riders to  grace races 13 and 15 , when the meeting comes to the business end,   you'll be amazed how many times  they have secured the win for the team   

I felt confident going into heat 13 only 6 points adrift,  believing we can get that predicted point today,   never did I expect to win the meeting outright.   So a massive WELL DONE  to all the team especially Neils and Robert,   and commiseration to all the BV fans.  I know, had this been the other way round,   I would have gone home 'pig sick',  to have lost that at the death....  

I can understand why Lemon choose  Tungate and Bewley  for ht 15.   Usually, you pick your top men to perform in these pressured races.  but he had been let down by  Cook and Friske scores,  and went for the inform riders,     It was a 'Big Ask'  though...…..

I am not a fan of Simon Lambert ( riding in the PL ) BUT a Big Thank You for his 3 points at reserve. For that ride take a bow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

Monarchs fan taking in this match. Five ex and one current Edinburgh rider in the match so really enjoyed out.

re heat 15. Surprised to see Dan off gate 4, only one winner from that gate all night. Thought the obvious choice would be Bewley off 2 and Fricke off 4. Cookie seemed a bit subdued last night, hope he picks up at Kings Lynn and GP.

Dan had beaten Iversen from gate 4 earlier on in the night. To be fair the gates weren't the problem. We had a 3-3 which was fine for us. Iversen just found some extra speed making a fine move down the home straight to take both our riders in one go. Was quite an incredible night in the sense that there was only one 4-2 scoreline all night! Every other race was a 5-1 or 3-3. And every time the Aces got a 5-1 to go 6 up the Stars responded with their own 5-1 every time. Great character from them.

Interesting point for discussion...

Jorgensen found himself in heat 14 for his 3rd programmed ride. He'd been replaced by Iversen on the tac sub for his other. He was already on a warning for moving at the start. He then jumped the tapes again and was "disqualified". He was then put back in off 15m as he hadn't completed his 3 rides? Should this have been a straight exclusion or was the ref correct in allowing that to happen? Interesting point for discussion as had he been excluded the match would have finished a draw. No sour grapes, would just like to know people's opinions/if they've seen anything like this before?

18 minutes ago, Ace no.5 said:

Dan had beaten Iversen from gate 4 earlier on in the night. To be fair the gates weren't the problem. We had a 3-3 which was fine for us. Iversen just found some extra speed making a fine move down the home straight to take both our riders in one go. Was quite an incredible night in the sense that there was only one 4-2 scoreline all night! Every other race was a 5-1 or 3-3. And every time the Aces got a 5-1 to go 6 up the Stars responded with their own 5-1 every time. Great character from them.

Jorgensen found himself in heat 14 for his 3rd programmed ride. He'd been replaced by Iversen on the tac sub for his other. He was already on a warning for moving at the start. He then jumped the tapes again and was "disqualified". He was then put back in off 15m as he hadn't completed his 3 rides? Should this have been a straight exclusion or was the ref correct in allowing that to happen? Interesting point for discussion as had he been excluded the match would have finished a draw. No sour grapes, would just like to know people's opinions/if they've seen anything like this before?

Don't know the answer,but perhaps because Iversen replaced him as a tactical it may count as a ride.Speedway rules are a bit confusing!!!

16 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don't know the answer,but perhaps because Iversen replaced him as a tactical it may count as a ride.Speedway rules are a bit confusing!!!

I was of the impression the rule of 3 programmed rides was only associated with the Reserves..     But like you say the rules  are confusing...  

1 hour ago, Ace no.5 said:

Getting a warning and then an "exclusion" for moving a second time is surely equivalent to a tape touching offence? 15m is an option in both cases and if the rider had only appeared twice, a third outing was still required.

40 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

Can't say that I'm surprised by the defeat, all riders from both teams did more or less as I expected. 

Cook usually gets around 7 from his programmed rides at home. The number 2 slot has been our Achilles since Worralls injury. Tungate and Bewley were both excellent. Fricke 'only' scored 9 but from harder races than Tungate and he probably should have been in 15. It was always a risk dropping our best reserve to try and improve our away results but I thought Riss did okay on his home debut. Drodz is still inconsistent but also did okay.

I'm not going through the KL team but, compared to the first meeting, they all did more or less the same (or better) than last time.

I thought that they may have slightly over watered the track, it looked mega grippy and they were tyre packing during the delayed start (by the way, the queue outside wasn't big, maybe around 30 people queuing at the ticket office as I walked straight in at 7:10 with my pre purchased ticket). That meant the racing for the first 3/4 of the meeting was quick but not much in the way of passing. It obviously got better as it slickened off and heat 11 was unbelievable, followed by a great race between Drodz and procter.

It now looks like a big ask for The Aces to make the knockout bit of the league cup, I reckon 3 away wins are required and our only away wins so far haven't counted. Having said that we usually see plenty of unexpected results in August and September so hopefully there's still plenty to race for?

I did say on here in reply to Phil the Aces post that it would be a lot closer than at our place.. No suprise to me. Now some might say im barking up the wrong tree, but i wouldnt have put Bewley in ht 15. I would have put fricke in. my opinion.

Edited by Starman2006

10 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

I did say on here in reply to Phil the Aces post that it would be a lot closer than at our place.. No suprise to me. Now some might say im barking up the wrong tree, but i wouldnt have put Bewley in ht 15. I would have put fricke in. my opinion.

Fricke and bewley should have been the pair 

I was disappointed that Mark Riss was beaten by Jorgensen who started on a 15 metre handicap in heat 14. I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere but Fricke said at the press conference that he had a flat tyre. Other than that race I thought Riss did ok on his debut.

Terrific meeting last night. Close and tense even if the racing wasn't great up to heat 10 and then heats 11 to 15 were brilliant.  You can argue who should have been in Ht15 for Belle Vue but they lost simply because their No.1 Craig Cook scored only 6 at home.  That's the truth of the matter IMO.

1 hour ago, Fred Flange said:

Tungate and Bewley were both excellent. Fricke 'only' scored 9 but from harder races than Tungate and he probably should have been in 15.

Agree with this. Max met Lambert and Iversen twice during his programmed rides, whilst for Rohan it was once. Max had taken Lambert from the back in a thrilling Heat 11 and was caught up with a slower Cook in Heat 13, as they both tried to hunt down the KL pair. Rohan struggled a tad to beat MPT in Heat 14, so on balance I was expecting it to be Max & Dan.

Dan will learn from Heat 15 - he was passed by an excellent Iversen, but had drifted out a bit. Really good meeting between two evenly matched teams.