British Speedway Forum
Argos

Completing Fixtures

49 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Completing fixtures?

Completing matches being run would be a good place to start.

As an Eastbourne supporter it would be nice for you just to have a meeting. :)

I'm sure we will have one soon. And once we start, there will be no stopping us.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:37 PM, Argos said:

I would be very surprised if Coventry complete there Fixtures and  possibly Buxton and Stoke, Do Clubs get fined if they don’t. 

What's the point of fining Coventry? They won't be in existence beyond this season.  Leicester will be running their own NL team next year and no way will Brandon be rebuilt, so the Bees will be hive-less.

On 8/5/2018 at 11:02 AM, Racin Jason 72 said:

Scunthorpe kings Lynn wolves and Poole are exempt but the others have to do as they are told.

Seems a quite reasonable point of view to take if you're an official at the BSPA.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:41 PM, Jayne said:

No reason why we shouldn't 

On 8/2/2018 at 10:37 PM, Argos said:

I would be very surprised if Coventry complete there Fixtures and  possibly Buxton and Stoke, Do Clubs get fined if they don’t. 

On 8/2/2018 at 11:41 PM, Jayne said:

No reason why we shouldn't 

Complete the fixtures or get the fine? I presume you mean the former but beginning to wonder. Has the explanation re the post poning of the Buxton match on 10 June been made yet? I ask as I was waiting for this before deciding whether to go to the Buxton match on July 8th. As I had not heard anything decided to go to Scunthorpe instead. Also a  home National League match against Stoke which was Tbc on the fixtures now removed. Has this been cancelled altogether?

5 hours ago, RS50 said:

Complete the fixtures or get the fine? I presume you mean the former but beginning to wonder. Has the explanation re the post poning of the Buxton match on 10 June been made yet? I ask as I was waiting for this before deciding whether to go to the Buxton match on July 8th. As I had not heard anything decided to go to Scunthorpe instead. Also a  home National League match against Stoke which was Tbc on the fixtures now removed. Has this been cancelled altogether?

Stoke weren't keen on visiting Buxton on 16th September as they are at Eastbourne the night before - hence the TBC. This date has now been utilised by Bham in order for them to get their fixture in before the cut off (weather permitting). The Stoke match will be run on a date to be agreed in Oct.

A genuine question Jayne (and I know it’s not only Buxton that this happens to) but given the fixture congestion every year in September and then meetings that don’t affect anything in October, is there any cohesion to avoid this in future? Surely more meetings in June, July & August make sense with September for finals, POs etc with no league fixtures in Oct. 

15 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

A genuine question Jayne (and I know it’s not only Buxton that this happens to) but given the fixture congestion every year in September and then meetings that don’t affect anything in October, is there any cohesion to avoid this in future? Surely more meetings in June, July & August make sense with September for finals, POs etc with no league fixtures in Oct. 

Its a fine balance between finishing the season too early and having outstanding fixtures. What happens to the rest of the year if meetings are done with by August for those that aren't in the playoffs? No easy answer we have tried the Trophy competition at the end of the year but that didn't work well either. 

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

arrange an inter league challenge  ???

I think its down to sustainability/costs etc ???

Why does it matter if the league finishes in August? If it finishes in October then you still have an equal amount of off dates inbetween, stretches your cash flow out a bit but if you're not riding then are your fixed overheads really that much? Surely by running more summer matches you'll get a bigger crowd than when it's cold, grey and miserable in the later weeks of the season?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CUFC_Brummie said:

Why does it matter if the league finishes in August? If it finishes in October then you still have an equal amount of off dates inbetween, stretches your cash flow out a bit but if you're not riding then are your fixed overheads really that much? Surely by running more summer matches you'll get a bigger crowd than when it's cold, grey and miserable in the later weeks of the season?

I agree. Isle of Wight will finish their league meetings in August and have reported healthy crowds during the summer months. They’ve created a challenge type meeting in the first week of September to extend the season and issue a seasonal farewell. This whole concept has been well received by supporters: get the meetings done in good weather in the summer when they still mean something and allowing a nice flow to near weekly meetings plus  one unofficial meeting in September which allows a speedway fix without adding meaningless fixtures in. Regular Warriors fans have enjoyed this organisation, so it’s not just about pleasing the holidaying supporters either. 

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 2

the problem is that when there's call off's early in the season there's no effort by either side to get a restaging as there's so much of the year to go then when our usual 'summer' weather hits we get what we have now . the fact we are here again after the summer we had this year just hammers home that nothing will ever change . 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, Islander15 said:

I agree. Isle of Wight will finish their league meetings in August and have reported healthy crowds during the summer months. They’ve created a challenge type meeting in the first week of September to extend the season and issue a seasonal farewell. This whole concept has been well received by supporters: get the meetings done in good weather in the summer when they still mean something and allowing a nice flow to near weekly meetings plus  one unofficial meeting in September which allows a speedway fix without adding meaningless fixtures in. Regular Warriors fans have enjoyed this organisation, so it’s not just about pleasing the holidaying supporters either. 

I have to agree.  Berwick and Sheffield were the same in that they finished in August. Teams make excuses to move the cut off date and all it does is affect the teams that get on with the league meetings.  It is mostly the same teams every year that drags the season out.:drink: 

• Like 1

Its crazy that after the summer we have had we are in a situation now, where theres quite a number of fixtures that might not be fitted in before the cut off. I see Stoke v Eastbourne is off and i dont see how that can be fitted in before in before the cut off with Eastbourne a saturday track aswell. Look at Coventry they are having to run double headers, they still haven't arranged Buxton home and away and Mildenhall at home, the cut off is in two weeks!!

Every year this happens, why bother with the National Trophy and KOC cup early in season, the bread and butter should be the league and that should be priority. Have the other competitions for after the league fixtures have been completed. 

Edited by Brummie Kev

Hottest summer for 40 yrs and teams are flapping and squawking trying to complete fixtures by a given date.