British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Baldyman

Lakeside v ipswich

Must of just been me then but I enjoyed the meeting and I thought their was plenty of passing. Looked to be a very good crowd and they even had the fans back on the stock car track. Some encouraging words from Cook regarding the clubs future so fingers crossed what he said they are trying to do comes off.

• Like 5

The racing did improve towards the end but most of the passing there was, was because riders drifted off the inside, Ben Morley showed exactly how it should be ridden when its like this, rider of the night for me.

A good crowd saw an excellent nights racing,,Morris back to his best ..Lawson somewhat unlucky not to score his usual,,Solid from Ellis,,some battling passes from Morley and Zach..Bowtell improving especially when nursed round by Morley for a win in heat 2 ...,,Newman is looking a little short of regular racing but chipped in with 4 points.....For the Witches Nichols battled hard for his 13 points but little back up except for  Schlein 10 points ..Score 52 -37 ...Plus some encouraging words on the future from Jon Cook ...we will just have to wait and see what that will be,,,Fingers crossed........

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Seems like we had a few Janssons tonight.... 

4 riders (Riss Covatti Wallinger Garcia) scored 10 between them but beat an opposition rider once .... Bowtell

Covatti tried his nuts off to be fair, but there was nothing there for him to hook up with on lines he was attempting to ride, if he could have stuck his front wheel to the white line he probably would have doubled his points but its not his way of riding.

11 of the 15 races were pretty much from the gate and at least nine were stone wall from the gate not even a hint of a pass being possible, if people want to call that entertaining fair enough, hopefully some cooler conditions next week and a bit more grip so there is more than one racing line.

If that had been on BT Sport, this meeting would be getting Hammered right now, (pun not intended)

10 minutes ago, marko said:

11 of the 15 races were pretty much from the gate and at least nine were stone wall from the gate not even a hint of a pass being possible, if people want to call that entertaining fair enough, hopefully some cooler conditions next week and a bit more grip so there is more than one racing line.

If that had been on BT Sport, this meeting would be getting Hammered right now, (pun not intended)

isn't it amazing how we see a meeting differently!. I thought there was a lot passing, good close racing and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, marko said:

Their was passing in lots of races maybe not for the lead but plenty of passing. Each to there own but I throughly enjoyed it mate. I thought the bigger crowd and better atmosphere probably added to the meeting for me aswell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marko said:

Track too dry, inside line or nothing!

They must have moved the inside line out to the fence when Nick Morris and Scott Nichols were out then because that's wher e a lot of their 13 points each came from.  In fact Scotts two defeats both came when he was off the two inside gates and couldn't get get out to the dirt  quick enough . Nicks win in heat 13 was aff gate 4 and he blasted right round the outside of both Scott and Rory.Alfie Bowtell only knows one line and it's not the inside one  . His heat win was right round the fence.  

I though it was a good meeting myself. Highlights for me were Zach in heat 10, going from 2nd to 3rd, back up to second then  just taking the win on the line, and heat 11 , with Nick and Rory passing and re passing, several times often so close it was difficult to tell who was in front. 

It takes two sides to make a decent meeting and I thought Rory and Scott both rode like the quality riders they are, Scott in particular was in find fettle for a 40'year old.

• Like 3

I wasn't there so can't comment on it..but some people class good racing as riders being close all race and some would say that's rubbish as riders can't pass. As long as the majority think it's good and turn up the week after then happy days. I personally try not to visit some tracks , because I don't like what I see, but will travel the other end of the country to what I think is good. We all see and want different things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I wasn't there so can't comment on it..but some people class good racing as riders being close all race and some would say that's rubbish as riders can't pass. As long as the majority think it's good and turn up the week after then happy days. I personally try not to visit some tracks , because I don't like what I see, but will travel the other end of the country to what I think is good. We all see and want different things.

I think there has to be a reasonable belief that riders can pass. If that's the case, then close racing is excellent. If not, then its rubbish. 

The problem with Lakeside is that many are prejudiced about it and that's unfair. I have said before and no doubt will again that I have seen some very good racing there. 

In my experience its better than Ipswich, for example.

lets be honest..we have all seen good and bad meetings at every track. For instance my last two visits to Alwalton have been amongst the very best and worst of all time I have seen..

You also have to look at the context of riders. When you get riders of the quality of Schlein and Nichols at this level of league on an 8/9 point average the chances are there are only about two riders in the opposing side capable of beating them. Scott’s gating in particular was superb last night but the downside is that once he got in front he won by a country mile, and there’s few riders in any team in this league that can catch him on that sort of form. There was no passing in heat 13 after bend 2 lap one but it was a cracking race with Nichols and Schlein right up Morris’ exhaust pipe for the whole race, so that still makes for a good meeting. Ippo are a decent side overall and can justify a place in th3 play offs.

Quite a bit of dust last night which makes it difficult to pass from the minor placings, but dust unfortunately is inevitable when you have 90 degree temperatures during the day. Overall I think the track curator did a good job in very difficult conditions. Despite the dust the track stood up pretty well and the actually surface was pretty good right to the end, with very few ruts. 

Edited by E I Addio

I thought it was a decent meeting to be honest, I've seen a lot worse. The crowd was up on previous weeks, which was good to see.

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

In my experience its better than Ipswich, for example.

Couldn’t disagree more. I support neither club but now living in Colchester and recently retired, I visit both quite frequently. 

Ipswich is a much better race track IMO. Having been to both venues Thursday and last night it was night and day. 

Respect your own personal opinion of course. We all have an opinion and what we see. 

I’ve seen Covatti for example pull of moves at Foxhall in recent weeks that he’d never have a chance in hell of pulling off at Lakeside. 

Edited by Steve Irving
  • Like 3

Like you say, it's all about opinions. I've never liked Ipswich from my first visit there in 1976. Despite the recent track changes, it rarely produces great racing when I visit. Perhaps I'm just unlucky.